What's new

Ultegra Di2 Officially released

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Shimano-Ultegra-Di2.jpg

Write up from Shimano is that they have made significant improvements over the Dura Ace Di2 system,

The original Dura Ace Di2 four-wire system has been replaced with a simpler two-wire harness for Ultegra. Cable diameters have been reduced by 3mm as well, dropping weight and allowing for a lighter profile.

All cable connectors are now identical, meaning you don't need to mess around with the specifi cables for front and rear. The shape of the hoods has been changed for better ergonomics, an adjustment that should have been introduced on the Dura Ace version.

The junction box has been overhauled, making a more discreet external or internal cable routing.

Both mechanical and electronic versions of Ultegra will receive a cosmetic update in the form of a new glossy gray color

He physically had them in stock or on pre order?

For that price I can get Dura Ace Di2!!!

Oops, wrong link. That actually IS for the Dura-Ace Di2 grupo! :warau:
I'm still wondering how much the new Ultegra will be...

LOL

The shape of the hoods has been changed for better ergonomics [/QUOTE]

Probably more likely so they can add more weight to it and make the improved Di2 (when it comes out) appear that much lighter. With the shifters being all aluminium sounds more like a 105i2 than a Ui2

[quote="kiwisimon, post: 32344"]Was at the LBS morning, he tried to sell me a set.[/QUOTE]

[quote="kiwisimon, post: 32346"]pre order. :) but they do look the goods. Never have liked Shimano STI but these would probably change my mind.[/QUOTE]

Yes, how much for? What I read said 10-15% below mechanical Dura Ace (7900). I thought this wasn`t being unveiled until July? Write-up on BikeRadar.
[URL="http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/shimano-ultegra-di2-first-look-30616"]http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/shimano-ultegra-di2-first-look-30616[/URL]

Expected price of Ultegra Di2

According to Velonews (http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/06/road/its-official-ultegra-goes-electric-for-2012_179419):

"In a press release, Shimano confirmed that the new Ultegra-level group will be called Ultegra Di2 and will have a retail price slightly below that of the current mechanical Dura-Ace group."

In Germany the (electric) Dura Ace Di2 7970 group set sells for €2.200, whereas the (mechanical) Dura Ace 7900 has a price tag of €1.300 and the Ultegra 6700 sells for about €600.

I assume that a new price will be fixed for the mechanical Dura Ace 7900 group for 2012 as well, but one can expect that the new Ultegra Di2 will be about 40% cheaper than the current Dura Ace Di2 groupset.

I think that this will impact market diffussion rate of electric shifting systems very much and we will see a drastic drop in pricing in the coming years. Perhaps we have a 105 Di2 in 2013 for the price of a mechanical Ulegra, i.e. €600?

1€ = 115 JPY

The new reasonable pricepoint makes it tempting, but I don't see anybody commit before the new electrical DA group is released.

Well I think a lot of riders who couldn't afford the DA Di2 will be getting this. The v2 won't drop in price, you only have to look at the history of the product to see that and as the DA Di2 is still on back order the likelyhood of you being able to pich up a cheap set is going to be very slim.

I would get it, but as said before, can`t justify throwing away a perfectly good 105, so when something goes wrong on that, I will probably change.

Anyway, was reading that some people have done DIY Di2 so presumably some people will be able to do the same with Ui2, ao if that is true all you would need is the rear and front derailleur and a degree in electronics. Maybe there will be some after market alternatives, but that might infringe patents.

di2-climbing.jpg

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7580&start=90

Nice! But I'm watching the thread over at 'OpenShift' - basically making an opensource shifting kit based on the Arduino microcontroller. Basically <all> you need to turn literally any derailer set into an electric kit is less than $200 of switch, servos, battery and controller...

Awesome, but somehow I'm suprised to see you watching developments in gear shifters, GSAstuto.

The technology and the engineering that is on display here is very very cool, but I don't get what is so hard about shifting modern drivetrains that you need to resort to using electric servos etc.....? Heck I still have and like, thumb shifters on my MTB :rolleyes:

Maybe for the top 1% of bike riders, the true elite athletes this might be some kind of an advantage somehow for 1/10 of a second, but what it looks like to me is a way for Shimano to get lots of people to buy new kit, nothing wrong with that, but would I not be correct in thinking this is much more of a "Want" thing than a "Need" thing?

Don't get me wrong, if you have the cash and the want, go for it, buy two :D

It's now available for preorder on Wiggle, stocks are expected to be delivered from October. Platinum price incl. battery charger and bottle cage mounts JPY 123.708. I wonder if any LBS can beat that.

Back
Top Bottom