What's new

Tech Ultegra 6800 & DA9000 mix

Read a tonne of reviews at the time on the various shim-type BB30 converter inserts. So many postings complaining of creaking once the crank was fitted. Seems you can reduce the problem by using sealing compounds, but you'll (almost) never get the converter out again if you do (if you later wanted to fit a BB30 crank)
Yeah, I have read all the various threads too. It seems like the Praxis works is the best option out there. I'm just about to head out for its maiden ride so Ill find out very soon if it is ok or not. The Praxis is no lightweight but if Im gonna carry a little more weight to stop any creaking then I don't mind the extra 70g.

Praxis is no lightweight but if Im gonna carry a little more weight to stop any creaking

Agreed, from what I previously read it was the only one that worked concistently. I just couldn't find one at the time I was building so went with the BB30 option. The weight bit worries me a little (I'd be interested what a DA9000 crank + Praxis converter weigh together, Verses, a SRAM red BB30 Crank plus two bearings; if its <100 grammes diff then no prob), but almost more important for me is whether the pedal width is wider on a non-BB30 - because the bearings are outboard (I personally prefer having pedal width as tight as possible)

When I weighed my bearings with the fsa Gossamer pro the total weight came to just shy of 900g. My compact DA9000 172.5mm came in at 623g and the praxis BB came in at 142g (with the two sleeves that it turns out I didn't need so I can probably minus 20g for the sleeves. The red crank is about 557g. Not sure what the bearings weigh but they are gonna be less than the praxis. Therefore I would guess that you'd be saving around 100 or so grams by going with the RED. I just couldn't bring myself to mix SRAM with DA (I guess that @saibot 's bike OCD is rubbing off on me a little ;) )
First ride today went well. Zero noise from the BB at all and it shifts smoother than the FSA even though I'm running a 10speed group with the 11speed crank. The wind was a killer on the Arakawa this morning. I could be cruising at close to 50kph at times then be really struggling to maintain 34 in a strong headwind at times. Looming forward to hitting the hills soon to test out the BB more.

@leicaman (and @macrophotofly and @TokyoTurtle, too, if you bought them):

Having used the Praxis Conversion BB for a few thousand km, what's your verdict on it?
Have you had any trouble with it, or has it been smooth, noiseless, and everything you could want from a conversion BB?

@leicaman (and @macrophotofly and @TokyoTurtle, too, if you bought them):

Having used the Praxis Conversion BB for a few thousand km, what's your verdict on it?
Have you had any trouble with it, or has it been smooth, noiseless, and everything you could want from a conversion BB?

Couldn't be any happier with it to be honest. Haven't got a squeak out of it the whole time I've ridden with it. It it allowed me to ride that sh1t hot DA9000 crank on my spesh frame. Only bad thing is that I now have to sell my spesh along with the DA9000 crank (and praxis BB, if I leave the crank on the frame).

Couldn't be any happier with it to be honest. Haven't got a squeak out of it the whole time I've ridden with it. It it allowed me to ride that sh1t hot DA9000 crank on my spesh frame. Only bad thing is that I now have to sell my spesh along with the DA9000 crank (and praxis BB, if I leave the crank on the frame).
Excellent, just what I wanted to hear.
What are you putting on your new frame?

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear.
What are you putting on your new frame?
I'm getting a whole new bike, not just the frame. It's coming with full DA9000 groupo , hence why I don't need my current DA9000 crank. The bike hasn't arrived yet, but as soon as it does, my beloved Spesh will be put up for sale.

Back
Top Bottom