What's new

Twin Ring Motegi 100km

Phil

Maximum Pace
Sep 1, 2007
January 4th:

http://sunday-sunday.net/race/2010/2010motegi/2010motegi_race.htm

100 km race on Honda's Motegi auto-racing circuit in Tochigi Prefecture. Probably my favorite race of the year thanks to the distance and (for a closed road circuit) relatively interesting course.

Good race for beginners because you can ride it as competitively as you like; although it did get a bit crowded last year, perhaps because the 4th fell on a Sunday.

Pics from last year are here.

Very interested in this.

Confirmed

Just paid at the combini, so I'm officially in. First race in months.

Plan right now is to drive up pre-dawn on the day of...

James, if you and any other TCCers are doing this and want to make a weekend of it, I wouldn't mind going up the day before and staying in a hotel again.

I may be up for it again this year, not sure of my New year plans yet.
If I do it I`ll be staying over as there is no way I can get up in time to drive up on the day!

Signed in and paid up!:pray:
I`ll be driving up and staying over on the 3rd. Space for 1 more in the car if anyone else is going.

Signed

I signed in as well today but still need to pay until Friday. Phil, I will contact you about arrangements for accommodation.

Michael, glad you can make it after all!

Clay (plus one more?) just signed up too, so it looks like we have the makings of a team... :)

The website of the hotel Keith and I stayed at last year has disappeared, so it may have gone under. Two years ago I stayed at the Hotel Wakaba near Motegi station, nothing special but cheapish and only 10 mins from the course. Might be an option. There are also log cabins near the track, but they might be booked by now. I'll PM...

(Keith, where are you guys staying? Be good if we could have a beer or two the night before...)

I'm signed up and paid as well. Hope to meet you guys there.

Arrived back from trip up north to find the mailing had arrived. Looks like 985 riders have signed up, a little less(?) than last year...will be a bit crowded, but not too bad.

Starters lists:
http://sunday-sunday.net/race/2010/2010motegi/MTG_List.htm

Keith, Jec and co. > looking forward to meeting you guys. If we don't bump into each other at the circuit for pre-registration, the hotel reservation is under "ギボン" (3 doubles). Told them approx arrival of 5pm.

Clay, let me know if you need the ride from Ushiku...

Looking forward to this--after getting snowed on in Miyagi, I'm hoping the weather will be as good as the last 2 years...

Arrived back from trip up north to find the mailing had arrived. Looks like 985 riders have signed up, a little less(?) than last year...will be a bit crowded, but not too bad.

Starters lists:
http://sunday-sunday.net/race/2010/2010motegi/MTG_List.htm

Keith, Jec and co. > looking forward to meeting you guys. If we don't bump into each other at the circuit for pre-registration, the hotel reservation is under "ギボン" (3 doubles). Told them approx arrival of 5pm.

Clay, let me know if you need the ride from Ushiku...

Looking forward to this--after getting snowed on in Miyagi, I'm hoping the weather will be as good as the last 2 years...

Thank you for the info Phil. Keith will be back from the UK on the 29th. Looking forward meeting you and riding with you Guys.

See you all tomorrow!
We hope to get to the pre- registration before 4:00
It`ll be interesting to see how much damage the mince pies and cream sherry have done!

Nice meeting you Phil, Michael and Clay. Great Race! The weather was great except in the early morning.

Too bad I wasn't able to hold on to Clay's group until the 12th lap. Felt I have bonked and lost power after 12 laps. I guess this has something to do with my breakfast. Was able to eat yogurt and banana only. After the 12th lap, I'm a no Go.

Here are my stats from the race.

MotegiTwinRingCircuit2.jpg

Hopefully we could be able to race together someday again.

The winner of the expert class is Tanaka-san who always train in Oifuto. Hats off to him!

Cheers,
Jec

Gents, great to see you guys this weekend and congrats on your results.

Normally I'd add my race report here, but as the only salient fact is that I punctured* at 45km, there's not much to tell. :mad: Pulled off into the grass right next to a race marshal, who radioed in the sag wagon to take be back to the pits via the service roads, where I stowed the bike and watched the other guys battle it out.

Was a bit frustrating as I was feeling strong and on a much better pace than previous years. Not a waste by any means, as the company for the weekend was excellent, the weather fine, and the race quite fun to watch.

Kudos to Clay who stayed near the pointy end of the lead main bunch (there was an 8-man escape group off the front of that which sprinted for the win), despite suffering from a nasty cold...

Guys hopefully we can all do it next year? I for one have unfinished business there :)

(*Puncture caused by my old nemesis, rim hole edge. Though I was using cotton tape, it had got pushed to the side and a tiny bit of one rim hole was exposed, enough to cut into the tube. Lesson learned: make sure tape is wide enough for the rim.)

Phil,

My wife'sbike had the same problem. The local store used a Shimano rim tape that is a poloythene band and is very light but thicker than the tape.... she's had no issues since.

Jec, looks like you still did very well. Congratulations. Your heart rate is impressive. Or you must be still very, very young!

Phil, too bad on the puncture! Are you sure it was the rim tape and not Yeap`s sabotage? He put the cable tie for the transponder through my spokes!!
Had to de-ice the car at minus 5 degrees! Arrived early enough to do two warm up laps and visit the toilet 4 times (a constant worry!) Thanks guys for teaching me the correct technique for mid race emergencies. Plan was to get with the lead group and hang on for as long as possible. I hate crowded starts!! I`m convinced that the pace car actually makes riding more dangerous as it causes riders to be bunched in the corners for much longer. Also I am useless at picking my way through a field of riders. So plan A (to wheel suck the leaders) was doomed. This was irrelevant anyway as from the second lap I was getting painful cramps starting in my calves then later working all the way up my legs. Rode with Yeap and Phil until he mysteriously disappeared! Mostly sucking his wheel! Sorry Phil!
On lap 6 or 7 cramps came back. I rode the down hill stretch clipped out of the pedals with my legs stretched straight, considering whether to go up the pit lane and call it a day. Laps 10-17 were a blur riding with Yeap and a small group. On lap 18 we were joined from behind by a large group containing Micheal. We hadn`t slowed so I thought this group were lapping us. Then on lap 20 we found Jec on the hill doing an impression of a slow moving chicane! The three of us rode together to the finish sprinting the last 300m to end with tear inducing leg spasms.
My target was 2hrs 45min. Finish time 2hr 44min 45 secs.
Next years target is 2:35 or staying in bed with a mug of hot cocoa.

Phil, Yeah we can again try this race next year hoping for a better result! And if I'm going to bring my bike to Toke, I will let you know so you could show me some great training routes in Chiba..

Thanks Ludwig! Hoping for a better result next year with a better preparation and more breakfast in the morning.

Keith, I can't imagine your face after we did the sprint. Haha! I thought you were only joking. Getting into the front is pretty important if you would like to stay on the front group or better to line up early.

annoying to get a puncture in a race... especially after paying for the privilege...

On my 1st Motegi 100 a team mate of mine got two punctures...and he still beat me. :eek:

The following year he came 8th.

I think there were about 5 guys in our team there this year but haven't heard how they went...

Are the results published anywhere?

Back
Top Bottom