What's new

Tuesday/Thurday Paddle Around the Moat....

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
OK, I'm going to try, TRY to make this a twice weekly commitment to build some stamina and just get better on the bike, it should help me drop some weight too :rolleyes:

I'll be where route #20 Ts into Uchibori dori, you can see it >> HERE <<

There is a small play park there, I'll be waiting to go at around 6:30AM unless it is raining hard. I cannot promise I'll be there if it is raining lightly, maybe I'll have to get some of those clip on fenders for the Lrrb.

I'll be riding at my own pace, last time around I did one lap in 10min 30sec, dunno how fast/slow that is but that is what I've been able to do.

If you'd like to meet up and then ride, that would be great, I'll be doing two laps, then home, if you want to wait for me, after two laps, I'll buy the coffee and we can tell lies for half an hour.

Come one, come all, the only thing I ask is that no one laps me :eek: :eek:

Cheers!

PS tomorrow, June 9th looks like it will be perfect for this, cloudy and coolish at 18C but HUMID!!

Hi Stu - I'll be out of Tokyo for a week, but ganbatte, ne! This is how I started 2yrs ago - every other day. Do it rain or shine. I'd suggest to use it as a lipolysis workout which means no breakfast - just a couple glasses of water before you go and carry some electrolyte drink (no sugar). Take it easy for the 1st lap and just get your HR up into Zone 2 or 3 and stable. Then subsequent lap use the incline session as an interval period - its about 2-3min worth which is perfect, then chill out again. Repeat this a few times, then ride home. Once you get home, grab a recovery drink like Soy Milk / Chocolate and semi-ripe banana smoothie (my fav) . You can add some Whey powder or other supplement if you feel its necessary - but likely just this is enough. After only a couple weeks you will see the fat melting off and your stamina building steadily.

Thanks for the info Tim!

I have Whey powder and Soy Milk at home.

What do you mean "electrolyte drink (no sugar)" does this put stuff like Poccari Sweat out of the picture?

I'll certainly do the "lipolysis workout" as it is sure easy to do first thing, water, ride...

Right now twice a week will be a limit for me, I've got lots to do and staying up late at work is just simply part of my life, but twice a week is a base I can build on.

I have a heart rate monitor, but the dam thing don't work worth a crap near my iPhone! I guess I can turn the iPhone off and take it just in case, and get the heart rate monitor to work, and then check to see how I do with that.

Rain or shine eh? I'll have to get some fenders on the Lrrb :eek: for rainy season, they can come off otherwise!

Cheers!

BTW >> THIS << is an interesting article on lipolysis.

:D

Bugger, missed my first alarm, but I'm heading out in a few!

Beautiful morning! :D

Two laps, first one I got caught out at two lights, so I pushed hard, and did 10:14, but that killed me :eek:uch: Second lap was 10:41 so I guess I blew up on the first lap.

Beautiful morning for a ride, just starting to get sunny when I was leaving.

I wore my Heart rate monitor today, Max HR 176, Avg 144 it says I burned 33% in the fat burning zone total burn onf763 calories. I have no idea how accurate that is, but it is good to see my max HR is 176, which is certainly within most ranges you can find (220-47=173) my age being 47 years old.

I'm now enjoying a banana soy milk choco whey protein smoothie, then an hour's nap and back to work!

I hope in a month or so to do a third lap, I wanted to try a third lap today, but held off, too much too soon and I could pay for that, so slow and steady is the ticket.

Cheers!

PS I noticed Starbucks is open early near there, so again the offer stands, I'll buy the coffee :D

Three laps today:

Lap 1: 10:10 Whoo hoo! New PB :D
Lap 2: 11:20 traffic and lights, plus I was still tired after lap one :eek:
Lap 3: 10:40 not a bad lap, got caught at the light by the Shuto entrance at the top of the hill.

Great morning for a ride, cool and not a lot of riders or runners out :cool:

Cheers!

I'm still at work, won't get out of here for at least another hour :mad: and I have a delivery at 9AM tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll be at the palace tomorrow AM :(

Bummer :eek:uch:

I did four laps today, one by myself then Tim S showed up and towed me around three more times, thanks Tim!

Speeds were not great, it was pissing out, but the new Polar C200 Cad cycle computer/HRM worked well, thanks HF-Mike!

I spent most of my time above the "Zone" recommended on that thing, but then again we were only doing short painful (for me!) blasts. I'm 47, so my Max HR is supposed to be 173 bpm (220 - 47 = 173) Today on one lap, mashing big gears up the back side hill I hit 181 bpm!

nap time.......

Don't forget 7am tomorrow from Okubo Sunkus (just past the Otakibashi crossing). We'll buzz up Yamete Dori to Arakawa then do 6x5 interval set and come home.

Don't forget 7am tomorrow from Okubo Sunkus (just past the Otakibashi crossing). We'll buzz up Yamete Dori to Arakawa then do 6x5 interval set and come home.

Yep, talked to timedesuyo just a few minutes ago, we are set to be there, unless it is pissing rain :eek:

Great ride guys!

Thanks Tim S and Tim B!!

tim_stu_arakawa_june_23_2011.jpg

Tim and I somewhere along the way (I'm the one wearing the TCC jersey.... )

tim_tim_arakawa_june_23_2011.jpg

Tim and Tim at the water control tower thing.

We did about 50 Km, I've still got to download my data from the Polar, but it was a great ride, just raining enough that I wore my booties to keep the feet dry, but otherwise great weather for a ride!

I've had my recovery smoothie, now a nap :D

Cheers!

PS I ticked past 2000Km so far this year on the bikes, and I'm now 109.5 Kg/241lbs, that is a full 60 pounds down from this time last year :D:bike:

Thanks guys!

I have another 66 pounds to go, so keep that in mind, I'm hauling around that extra weight :eek:

Polar data say I did 53 Km, 2 hours and 46 minutes and burned 2074 calories!

Good ride, Stu and Tim! When I'm back next week, we'll keep it up. This is my standard route for midweek session since we can do various fun things like intervals, constant resistance, TT, etc. All packed within a 3hr 50-70km window.

Good ride, Stu and Tim! When I'm back next week, we'll keep it up. This is my standard route for midweek session since we can do various fun things like intervals, constant resistance, TT, etc. All packed within a 3hr 50-70km window.

Thanks again Tim, it was great to have someone who knows what they are doing giving me some direction!:cool:

More than welcome to share! I don't know much, but like to jam econo and get the licks in where they count most!

Thanks again Tim, it was great to have someone who knows what they are doing giving me some direction!:cool:

No ride tomorrow AM, we have a funeral to attend, local lady in her 50's who just dropped dead while out with her family, aneurism the think.

Tomorrow is not promised!

Back
Top Bottom