What's new

Training Ride Tuesday Morning Tama Training Thread

Fab. See you tomorrow @sean-e!

Note. This week is special. Meeting spot and time have changed for this ride.

Date: Tuesday July 9th
Time: 5:30 am (Roll out time)
Meeting place: Under Futako Bridge Link (opposite side of river to Giant store.
Back at the meeting place by 7:15 am.

Cracking ride this morning. @sean-e had the yellow jersey all morning. He must have been watching Alaphilippe before he came out on the ride as for each of the 12 laps we did of a local hill loop, he arrived first. Almost 1000m of climbing before breakfast. Come on out and get your fix next week!

Good evening....will the Tama Hills ride be running at the start of August? I am arriving in Tokyo this coming Saturday and would love to meet up and get a ride in if there are people around.
Cheers!

Hi there @TonTon. I'm going to be away until the 22nd of August. I think that @sean-e and @thooms might be getting out on Tuesdays keeping the roads free of moss while I'm away. Keep posting here and I'm sure something will happen. Either way, see you when I get back.

PS. Bloody humid out there. Sweat running down the sunnies this morning.

Was wondering where to put this, I guess the tue morning training thread will be okay.

;) (could've gone under electrolytes and nutrition?)

Good evening....will the Tama Hills ride be running at the start of August? I am arriving in Tokyo this coming Saturday and would love to meet up and get a ride in if there are people around.
Cheers!

sure, i'll be around for a spin this upcoming Tuesday AM 8/6 (pinging @thooms as well)!

when it comes to directions I have the "memory of a goldfish", but will plug one of the prior routes into the gps and hope muscle memory kicks in.

departure time: 5:45am on tuesdays
meeting spot: here

Ok great I will be there (sub to any changes in my schedule)

I am staying in Akasaka so it looks like a bit of a ballast down to the start point, i've never been to Tokyo before so not sure on how long that is going to take me but Strava is roughly estimating 20kms and around 45mins......anyone on route closer which I can tag on to, if not ill work it out :)

Probably a stupid question but how bad is the traffic heading back into central Tokyo after the ride?? Just need to make sure I am back in town by 8.30.....

Ok great I will be there (sub to any changes in my schedule)

I am staying in Akasaka so it looks like a bit of a ballast down to the start point, i've never been to Tokyo before so not sure on how long that is going to take me but Strava is roughly estimating 20kms and around 45mins......anyone on route closer which I can tag on to, if not ill work it out :)

Probably a stupid question but how bad is the traffic heading back into central Tokyo after the ride?? Just need to make sure I am back in town by 8.30.....

We should be back at the starting point at 7am, which should be enough time for you to get to back to Akasaka by 8:30. I live south on the Kawasaki border though, so not near Minato.

If it's your first time in the city of stop-and-go, I'd recommend planning a bit more than 45 minutes for 20kms coming from downtown. Most of Tokyo's traffic lights are on a fixed time schedule, so the major roads can be slow (unless you run red lights ... which before 6am is mostly safe, but the choice is yours). The backroads can take some advanced planning with a greater risk of carefree people coming out of blind corners. Traffic does pick up after 7, but I don't find it affects bicycle travel time that much.

I'll be riding to Shinjuku afterwards @TonTon. I was there shortly after 8 last time, so we can ride back together via Akasaka if you like?

Could potentially meet up in the morning too if you want to ride to the meeting point?

Looking forward to it! Go easy on me, @sean-e :p

Thanks mate, think ill take the extra time, don't fancy trying to explain to a Japanese Policeman with my 3 lessons of Japanese why I ran a red light! haha
You probably won't ever need to do that except for the spring and autumn traffic campaigns when the rules suddenly seem to count.

@thooms that would be great! Let me know your thoughts on meeting point. Just packed up the bike and ready to get to Tokyo now!

Back
Top Bottom