Ride Tuesday, 17th July Ride (around Shiraishi)

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
Hello everyone,

I’m free next Tuesday and plan to ride out to the Shiraishi area (weather permitting). Ideally, I’d like to meet up in Moroyama and go in that way but somewhere along the Arakawa is fine too. I usually leave the house around 8, ride about 120km and climb a few thousand meters on this kind of ride. I’m fairly flexible about that though.

Anyway, if you’re interested, let me know🙂

Stu in Kawagoe

NB. I don’t plan on stopping for a sit down lunch.

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
weekdays don't work for me. also, terrible heat/humidity combo over the last days - scheduled to continue. if I lived in Kawagoe I'd leave much earlier and be basically done by 8-9 am to avoid the worst heat. so stay alert for any dizziness, headache or signs of dehydration/ heatstroke. it's desert plus sauna outside, esp between 10-15 h

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
Thank you for the reply, Luka. I’m lucky that I get a pretty decent summer holiday so I can head out more easily during the week😉

Regards the weather, yeah, it does look like the heat/humidity is going to continue into next week. Generally, I’ve always trained during the holidays after I’ve got my daughter sorted for nursery, but you’re right about leaving earlier if possible as cycling takes up so much more time. So let’s say I’m happy to meet someone somewhere from around 5.30 (can’t believe I’m saying that😆). If I’m going out solo, I’ll do my best to leave before six. I can actually get to Moroyama on the back roads through Tsurugashima in about 45 minutes and then I’m out of the worst of the sun on the forest roads - still humid though😓

Btw, I’m interested to know what people eat when they go out for long rides. I’ve just sort of been doing what I do for a long run: I eat well the night before, have a reasonably carby breakfast the day of and then eat yokan every 45 minutes or so during the main part of the ride. I also stop at a conbini on my way home for some solid food - sandwiches, onigiri, etc.

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
Ended up going out solo today😪 It was all good. Not too hot as I stuck to the shady rindos between Moroyama and Shiraishi for most of the ride. I actually didn’t end up leaving the house until 10.30 though!!! Also, took my rucksack so I could carry an extra litre of water with me. Drank five litres over seven hours😯

Total distance = 106 km
Elevation Gain = 2,967m