What's new

Ride Tue Jan 3 Tokigawa Climbs

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
Looks like @Komuso and myself will go for some winter fun in Tokigawa on Tue Jan 3.

Meeting place: 17 km mark on the "official" right side of Arakawa (when facing river mouth), just under the Kohoku bashi bridge (江北橋) at 9 am. Alternatively, people can join from the spaceship (probably passing by around 9:30) or further upstream.

It is the standard route following the river, then through Hatoyama, Ogose etc. to Tokigawa. I'll probably just climb the Takashino pass, cross to Shiraishi, down Sadamine and take a train back from Ogawa machi. Most of the people here know the deal by heart by now, so I'm not gonna make a map. If anyone's joining, please let me know in advance so we can factor you in. Looks like sunny and warmish (12-13C) but a bit of headwind, so we can use more people to rotate on the pull.

I have another mate joining probably, so it will be the three of us for now. In any case, this is a fairly accessible intermediate ride, with just one climb of 600m or so of elevation. part of it (the tough part) can be seen here:

https://www.strava.com/segments/3574860

The general idea is about 70 km flat along the river and through Saitama, a bit more of gentle ascent before this climb, then the long descent from Shiraishi to Ogawa machi. Kohoku bashi to the top of Takashino is about 80 km, and another 20 or so to the station. So feel free to join if you have time everyone.

we are now up to four people. forecast is still great, if a bit windy. depending on how we feel, what's the time when we get there etc. i'm also considering doing nihongi pass on our way to ogawa machi to spice things up just a little. we'll see how it goes. anyone else up for some fun tomorrow?

OK we've got five now. At this rate it'll be double digits by tomorrow morning ;)

I'm thinking of waiting at the middle of the slope going down from the Kohoku bridge to the toilets by the baseball court, so I can have an overview of the road below and hopefully see everyone. It's where the Half Fast Arakawa loop stops for a break before going down Arakawa. So meet me there, or wait directly under the bridge where I'll be able to see you.

6 and counting! :tup (and talking to myself)

Well, that includes the two of us, plus 4 others for now. But yes, more people responded than I initially thought. Looks promising tomorrow

Great day out on the bike with 6 mates. Took a wrong turn climbing Takashino pass, ruining the results. Kudos to @Komuso for starting this. @slowjoe not only killed the climb, he rode all the way back too, while we bailed out from Ogawa machi. @TokyoFixed congrats for getting your act straight at the station and making it with me to the first train. Sorry to all the others that we couldn't wait for the next one really.

@Komuso if you have some pics please share them here. Here are mine:

IMG_20170103_113329.jpg
IMG_20170103_140506.jpg

IMG_20170103_140738.jpg

IMG_20170103_140923.jpg

IMG_20170103_142908.jpg

Best riding I've done in Japan; great route and scenery, and a nice bunch of blokes! Thanks to Luka for organising this; please count me in for any rides you might be doing while I'm in Tokyo. I didn't take many photos, just got these two of Chiba and Kevin topping out:

Photo 2017-01-03 14 13 53.jpg Photo 2017-01-03 14 11 08.jpg

@Komuso Thanks for the pics. Indeed, it was a great day on the bike. Tokigawa area is full of nice scenic climbs like that, and is understandably our (north Tokyo) preferred playground. I'll let you know when I have a similar ride, though I might not have anything for the coming long weekend (Jan 7-9). Not 100% sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom