Tubular tyres - Longevity

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I was out inspecting and cleaning up my bike today and I noticed the rear tyre has started to go through to the thread. Its a gatorskin Sprinter. But it's only done about 1800km.

Not happy.

Can anyone tell me any other tubulars that have better life?

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Hmmmm to be honest mate if you are doing a lot of riding Tubular are not the solution - its why clinchers haven't gone the way of the dinosaures

I found the bargain bucket Panasonics are great value for km especailly at 1,600JPY a pop.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Actually I don't know many tires that give more than 1500km or so and are actually rideable. Or at least I'm not interested in using them seriously (training , etc). Personally I found the Gator-Sprinters (tubs) quite good with more like 5000km on average. Also depends how you store the bike - if it's out in the elements, the rubber will deteriorate quite fast and reduce the lifespan dramatically. Some touring or commuting tires have more UV guard and thicker treads lengthening the process. You can also get cheap Thailand Tubulars for about 1500y/pop. They are about the same as Conti-Giros (cotton - 120TPI) and will give about 1000km -2000 before looking like a set of sheets from Uguisudani love hotel.

Also road and riding style will affect tire alot. Put a heavier, sprinter type on a set of tires and you'll be lucky to get even 500km out them. Add in rough roads, and well, YMMV. Believe me , I know, I have to re-up the tires on a <certain> rider's bike nearly every 2 weeks!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Or just slap some cheap clinchers on a set of 501's (you have some, no?) And reserve your fast wheels for TT days. Actually I'm waiting for our new niobium alloy CX wheels to arrive so I have some 3man 22mm tubeless to play with over the winter. I hate tubes, mostly, and at least running tubeless makes the most sense (and least hassle). Besides the tubeless tires being slightly heavier and reinforced sidwalls seem to suffer less flats overall than any tire. and rolling performance is actually the best compared to either tubular or tubed clincher. And of course, you can't beat the braking performance in the rain!