What's new

Tubular tire recommendations

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Since I've got a slow leak (puncture) in my rear tire I'm now looking to replace, but the Mavic SSC Yksion's are over 10,000 for one tire. In Japan at least.

These are my first tubular's and I really liked the Yksion's rolling and stiffness, they roll smooth and quite, and the feel nice and hard (don't like mushy tires). Yet with the prices being as they are I want to get some feedback and recommendations from the club. I had about 2000 km's on these and was hoping to get more...oh well.

These tires are for a set of Mavic Ksyrium SLR's.

Feedback, recommendations, and experiences are all welcome!

Maxxis Forza Seamless Tubulars. I have ridden many tubulars and these are the only set that I put 4000k on without getting a flat tire. Its a dual compound tire with silk casing and puncture protection. A seamless tubular has no bump where the valve is so you will have the smoothest feel compared to seamed tubular tires. Also it had a lot of grip in the corners without feeling like it drags you down on the straights. If you have ever ridden a Continental Gatorskin, think of it as a similar tire in terms of toughness but with the feel of a much more expensive tire. I have a few sets in stock at the Astuto Continental store in Akasaka if you would like to take a look at them.

IMG_0838.JPG

Maxxis Forza Seamless Tubulars. I have ridden many tubulars and these are the only set that I put 4000k on without getting a flat tire. Its a dual compound tire with silk casing and puncture protection. A seamless tubular has no bump where the valve is so you will have the smoothest feel compared to seamed tubular tires. Also it had a lot of grip in the corners without feeling like it drags you down on the straights. If you have ever ridden a Continental Gatorskin, think of it as a similar tire in terms of toughness but with the feel of a much more expensive tire. I have a few sets in stock at the Astuto Continental store in Akasaka if you would like to take a look at them.

View attachment 523
Thanks for the feedback on these, they never crossed my mind, and yeah I just might drop by.

I use a Tufu S3 lite for the front, and gatorskins on the back. The tufo is really light and has very sharp handling it gets a very high recommendation from me for cost and performance. I got about 6000km out of the last front I guess. The gatorskin. well I don't love it but it is kind of toughish. Might try the maxxis…..

I use a Tufu S3 lite for the front, and gatorskins on the back. The tufo is really light and has very sharp handling it gets a very high recommendation from me for cost and performance. I got about 6000km out of the last front I guess. The gatorskin. well I don't love it but it is kind of toughish. Might try the maxxis…..
The Tufo S3 Lite is a great racing tire however to save weight they have a loose thread count on the side walls as compared to the center of the tire (120/240tpi). Depending on the rider some may find that it will feel a bit squishy at lower recommended PSI. Definitely a great looking tire but I don't know if he would get 6000km using it for a rear as well, especially with the roads that he is riding. I think we live in the same area so if he's going out into the rido-roads, something with a bit more protection and 23mm wide would be my recommendation.

Come in to Akasaka and I can give you the low down on the Forza. Gatorskins used to be my go to tire until I tried these. I rode them until I was on the threads and still didn't get a flat. The only reason I had to retire them is because I got hit by a car and the bike was destroyed.:(

Is the gatorskin just a poor feeling tire?

The gatorskin is a tank tread basically. It doesn't flat out ever, it just feels slow until you put a few thousand kms on them and they wear in a bit.

The Tufo S3 Lite is a great racing tire however to save weight they have a loose thread count on the side walls as compared to the center of the tire (120/240tpi). Depending on the rider some may find that it will feel a bit squishy at lower recommended PSI. Definitely a great looking tire but I don't know if he would get 6000km using it for a rear as well, especially with the roads that he is riding. I think we live in the same area so if he's going out into the rido-roads, something with a bit more protection and 23mm wide would be my recommendation.

Come in to Akasaka and I can give you the low down on the Forza. Gatorskins used to be my go to tire until I tried these. I rode them until I was on the threads and still didn't get a flat. The only reason I had to retire them is because I got hit by a car and the bike was destroyed.:(
Indeed I am on some pretty variable road conditions and while I do my best to avoid hazards...you can't hop them all.

My 2yen ---

1) Can't beat the Tufo S3 Lites when scraping a few seconds off a HC and you don't mind 160psi rock hard tires that pivot like Pluschenko on ice. For lighter riders, I usually recommend the SOYO h160 in it's stead - weight is well under 160gr and the seamless construction lends a little more 'agility' to the tire.

2) I'm looking forward to riding the Forza. I really like the ride of seamless tubs - however the pricing tends to put them out of mind except for championship type events. I've trialled the Upstreams and honestly, we decided to go with Maxxis because they are faster rolling, more durable sidewall and Eric rode them more than a few months without flats.

3) Conti Gators are my go to for, well, Continental Rides. Butyl tubes, thick construction , can take a beating AND sealing and still get you home. Barring that, they ride flat pretty darn good, too.

4) SOYO Trainers. For cheap tubulars these are the best. Made in Thailand along with a billion other cheap tubulars, nothing really sets them apart except they come in red and green. And Japanese 'long ride' Keirin. Think Continental Giro or Vittoria Ralley and you know what I mean. Very serviceable tire for all type of training and even used for sprints competition. I think they are about 2500 yen only - ask Eric.

5) Veloflex Carbon. Still nothing (easily obtainable) beats these. But you are looking at about $150/ea in Japan. So -that prices them into a 'competition range' tire. However, if you like the idea of riding on tires that have sat more Classics stage wins in the last 10yrs than nearly any other tire, well, these are them. And for good reason. Supple, Fast, Durable , Smooth and a nearly perfect construction. I put these on for the last 2 Haute Routes (for all riders on tubulars) and used extensively for training and any other event I happened to do. ZERO FLATS FOR EVERYONE. With the only exception being a crap valve extender and an unfortunate drop into a Taiwan sewer grate at 45kph (my fault). There is also an Extreme version - but I prefer the Carbon due it's slightly more robust construction and it fits perfect on my wheels at a svelte 23.5mm when run-in.

Like Eric said the gatorskin is a tank. I would never run it on the front cause it feels sluggish turning. But it is good for the back where I want tough and long life. Although my last one didn't last that long, So I am looking to try something new on the back.

So as a middle ground to the Mavic's @10,000+, and the Maxxis @8,500 - how does the Vitoria corsa evo cx stack up @6600? (All in yen)

I weigh 62kg, and ride everywhere, mountain roads, highways to get where I'm going, river runs, etc. I'm looking for something with a low rolling resistance, good - to - above average durability, and a moderate price (10,000 or less)

Also how does the Mavic Yksion SSC griplink and powerlink stack-up to others out there? Anyone actually done some descent riding on them?

If it's just a slow leak, squirt some sealant inside and keep on riding it.

I only have experience of Vittoria tyres.
Corsa CX (21mm) Very light, fast rolling, appear to wear reasonably well. Too narrow for general riding around - they feel unhappy rolling over the longitudinal grooves on some downhills. Lose air like crazy (>200 kPa overnight). Unusual valve system makes adding sealant hard.
Corsa SR (24mm) Quite light, fast rolling, very smooth over poor surfaces, very grippy and secure feeling. I've worn the file tread down to a smooth band around the rear after about 800km; the front has hardly worn at all. Also lose air like crazy.

If it's just a slow leak, squirt some sealant inside and keep on riding it.

I only have experience of Vittoria tyres.
Corsa CX (21mm) Very light, fast rolling, appear to wear reasonably well. Too narrow for general riding around - they feel unhappy rolling over the longitudinal grooves on some downhills. Lose air like crazy (>200 kPa overnight). Unusual valve system makes adding sealant hard.
Corsa SR (24mm) Quite light, fast rolling, very smooth over poor surfaces, very grippy and secure feeling. I've worn the file tread down to a smooth band around the rear after about 800km; the front has hardly worn at all. Also lose air like crazy.
Thanks for the feedback Alan.

I was under the impression that sealant was a short term solution, no?

Sealant can be a permanent solution. If it seals it why not ride it?

Sorry for the side track, but

"These tires are for a set of Mavic Ksyrium SLR's."

Rsys SLRs? Don't think the Ksyrium SLRs are made in tubies. How are the wheels by the way? Dream of having them on that (far far away) Gaulzetti that I strive to own some day. Braking is supposedly the best in the biz, but I've heard of the sexy anthracite color wearing off on the brake track.

No back to the original topic, I've not much to add other than the Mavic tires are made by Vittoria apparently, and while they are great tires so most folks say, Vittoria packs its best technologies into its own tires, not they ones they make for others.

Thanks for the info about the Mavic vs. V tires.

As for the wheels mine are a strange but excellent mix, RSYS rear and Ksyrium SLR front, and they are tubular. I'm not sure why I got this setup from Chain reaction but I'm not complaining or concerned.
The breaking in both wet and dry conditions is the best I've ever encountered, they have saved my butt on a few narrow mountain roads with oncoming cars popping out from a blind corner (Wada east).

About the color coming off, I hear it can happen but not too many cases of this, just a lot of publicity over the few. Either way Mavic guarantees that this won't happen, if it does then they will send you a brand new set.

Bottom line, these are the best wheels I've ever ridden in my limited experience.

"they have saved my butt on a few narrow mountain roads with oncoming cars popping out from a blind corner"

This. Nursing a fractured elbow at present due to not having enough stopping power to stop in time when a mamachari jumped in from of me (missed the guy before going down thank goodness).

As a gentle FYI. The 'Mavic' tires you see on Garmin team bikes are actually Veloflex. Same thing with most of the Pro peleton. For serious training I'd prefer Vittoria , then swap to Veloflex for the events. The ride and performance Is similar so you aren't acclimatizing in the wrong direction. The last thing you want to do is strap on some new shoes the day of. Now it's winter and I'll be back on the SOYO greens until I need or want to kick out some jams.

Back
Top Bottom