Tubs

Justin

Justin

Speeding Up
Nov 12, 2016
At the risk of opening a can of worms, does anyone here have much experience with Japanese brands of tubular glue, tape, and sealant? Any recommendations? Anything I should take care to avoid? Cheers.

A

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Thanks. How would you say it compares to, say, Carogna?
Sorry, the only brand I can compare it to is Soyo and I thought it was better than that.

Apparently tape doesn't perform as well as glue. Though I find that hard to believe as the tyre is making contact with the road.

Even if it is the case, I like the covenince of swapping tyres quickly.

And when you put tyres on for the first time, you don't need to leave them overnight like with glue.

Andy

Justin

Justin

Speeding Up
Nov 12, 2016
If ever there was a cue for grizzled glue advocates to enter the fray ...

Thanks Andy.

A

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
If ever there was a cue for grizzled glue advocates to enter the fray ...

Thanks Andy.
No worries, you inspired me to put some new tyres on for next Saturday's TT.

Will give them a test ride tomorrow😆

Andy

leicaman

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
I used to use the Miyata tape. Never had any problems with it but I switched to glue, mainly because it is cheaper. Trying to get an old glued tyre off is a royal pain in the arse though.

A

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Edit re: the tape adhering to the tyre.

That is true for my carbon road rims. The tyre comes off with a sticky black strip attached.

But on the TT zipp wheels, it adheres to the rim (the base of the tyre comes off like new) and is dry to touch. I think that tyres pumped up to full pressure will adhere to the rim, much like they will to a dry coat of glue, but didn't want to risk it for a race, so I added a new layer of tape.

Will see how they roll tomorrow.

Andy

A

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
New tyres and 9 seconds off the KOM for my local TT test route today.

A little bit of noise from the front tyre. It may have been rattle from the valve. I secured the valve and will test run the tyre again.

Beautiful weather here today so I was able to take the TT on in almost summer kit.

Roll on spring!

Andy

Justin

Justin

Speeding Up
Nov 12, 2016
Nice one. I assume you’re a long way from Tokyo if you had weather like that today. It was bloody awful here.

A

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Nice one. I assume you’re a long way from Tokyo if you had weather like that today. It was bloody awful here.
Just over the hill in Niigata.

After a hard winter training in the garage, I find myself with all this unseasonal sunshine... but I can't ride so much as it's time to ease off before a race next weekend😱

Didn't stop me chasing the kids home from the park though...

Andy