What's new

Tubs

DeltaForce

Maximum Pace
Sep 17, 2011
I might want to glue on some tubs for tomorrow.

I always used Continental Sprinter 250s. Tough, not too expensive, and relatively fast.

The LBS doesn't stock them, only budget training tubulars.

What shop would have them, or can someone recommend an alternative tire?

I want something I could race on, but tough enough for the odd training ride when my clinchers are buckled.

Dave

Y's in Ueno (Asazu Store) had some killer deals on 2011 Vittoria CX's. I'm not the biggest fan of the Sprinters - except for the Gatorskin version for training. They always feel 'lumpy' to me. Best bang for the buck is the Vittorias in my opinion. Y's 'Maniac' store in Shinjuku also has a good selection of tubulars. And so does Blue Lug in Hatsudai. I do use (and stock) the Conti Giro cause as a spare and decent enough tire, you can't beat the price and ride. Also - get some Miyata tape - much less hassle than gluing, and the ride is hardly different.

ANYTHING made by Vittoria

What did you go with Delta Force?
I love tubulars. I have 3 tubular wheelsets right now. I have been training on the Vittoria Competition Rally.
Its mainly a training tubular with 220 TPI cotton casing. Its heavier-duty than Corsa CR but with same grippy tread compound a buytle tube and non removable valve core. I used a large syringe that fit over the valve stem to inject Stanze sealant and have been on the same set for close to 1000k.
Great for training but I will soon buy a race day only tyre. I still expect some durability so I will be interested to hear your choice.
I may lean towards Tufo, I have had a full cycocross season and then some on my Flexus Primus and rode the hell out of a set of the Elite Jets.
I have burned through a bunch of the Vittoria Pave, a shame because they are a great ride.
Also burned a bunch of Continental Sprinters. My problem with the Sprinter was they would get slashed really easy. Also had some valve stem problems where they would fail while adding air. This was also confirmed by a pro team that was using them and by many folks on the internet. I had good luck with the Gatorskin sprinter, but I hate to say it, I just dont like the way they look (hey, it matters!)

My Personal favs:

#1 Veloflex - since Clement Seta are no longer available and Dugast are basically unobtanium..

#2 Vittoria CX
#3 Tufo Hi TPI version
#4 Soyo Green - Longride favorite of every pro Keirin rider
#5 Conti Gator - well, yeah, they are a bit fugly - but they are TOUGH!
#6 Conti Giro - cheap and decent ride and best value as a spare.

Looking into getting some Servisio Corsa which are still handmade in Thailand (think Vittoria, Challenge, Clement - redux) Supposedly not a bad tire and only about 2000 yen.

As far as I'm concerned, even the cheapest tubular is a better ride than the most expensive clincher. And , if you ride carbon wheels, just double that statement.

I didn't get time to go buy tubs after work on Saturday so just repaired my clinchers. I had had a little crash the week before. I needed to wack the front rim against the ground in a kind of reverse crash, to get it straight enough to true with the spoke wrench. I was surprised how easy that was. It's very straight now with good spoke tension. It was fine for Sunday's 160km. I can continue to use the clinchers for training.

You and GS have really spread some light on the current situation with tubs, thanks. I used to go for Vittoria Corsa CX if I could. Although the Sprinters seemed tough, cheap and fast. Back then when I was racing and working in a bike shop I could get tires for a good price. Now things are different.

I haven't riden Veloflex, but the Corsa CXs were substantially nicer to ride and faster than any other I've ridden. GS, you mentioned CXs going for a reasonable price at Y's. I'll certainly look into that. But let me know what's happening with the hand made tubs from Thailand. (I remember Clement had begun making tires there when I was working in the bike shop, 15 years ago). I'd be interested in Corsa CXs if they aren't too pricey.

Seems the Veloflex would be even better, but maybe too expensive for me.

Back
Top Bottom