What's new

Tech Tubeless set up

Didn`t have any luck ):

Set the bead with an inner tube. Pop just one side off and take the tube out. Try again tubeless but this time you only have to have to keep one side sealed. If you've got family or friends available, have them help with trying to keep a deal while you pump like crazy.
When removing the tube, both of the beads came off the rim.
I think the rim is a little bit wider, so the tire seats really tight (its really hard to put it on without levers)

Tried air compressor at a gas station, but the head is weird and doesn`t fit well the valve (also, my tires now have some oily sutff inside)
Wasted a few CO2 cartridges already.

Tomorrow, im giving up and taking it to the bike shop (More walking than my fitness allows though)
Thanks!

@Ruda
Let me show you my ghetto diy tubeless compressor.

View attachment 28901

It's a 2L coke bottle wrapped with a bunch of tape to decrease the chance of it blowing up in my face, a presta valve on the cap, an air hose stuck in the bottom sealed with adhesive and a clip on it to kink the hose.

It works like a charm, seats my 38c gravelkings every time.
I've tested it up to 75 psi, fear pushing it higher. 🙃

Ok thats scary and interesting at the same time.
What did you use to make the holes, to seal the holes and where do i buy the hose? (i`m still totally lost in Japan 🤣)

Didn`t have any luck ):

When removing the tube, both of the beads came off the rim.
I think the rim is a little bit wider, so the tire seats really tight (its really hard to put it on without levers)

Tried air compressor at a gas station, but the head is weird and doesn`t fit well the valve (also, my tires now have some oily sutff inside)
Wasted a few CO2 cartridges already.

Tomorrow, im giving up and taking it to the bike shop (More walking than my fitness allows though)
Thanks!
If you want to use the compressor at the garage pick up a presta valve adapter at the bike shop.

100 yen well spent.

Keep it in your saddle bag and then you can use a regular bike pump to fix a puncture when out on the road.

I'm yet to knock on a door in Japan and find a house, school, office etc. without a regular mama chari floor pump.

Andy

Ok thats scary and interesting at the same time.
What did you use to make the holes, to seal the holes and where do i buy the hose? (i`m still totally lost in Japan 🤣)

Used a hot knife for the holes, the one in the cap sealed no problem because I used a tubeless valve, the one on the bottom I used some plastic bond adhesive. Bought a 4mm diameter air hose at the home center

Anyone run schwable g-ones? I'm having a recurring problem with mine: they inflate and seat no problem straight out of the box, but once I have to take them off the rim for any reason (using tubless levers), they won't seat straight again. There's always one section that sits too low. I cleaned them and the rim, tried soapy water, tried a tube in them, tried them on a different rim, but they just won't seat properly. I've now got two relatively good condition g-ones I can't use, and two I daren't take off the rim in case the same happens again.
Got a pair of non-tubeless x-ones and I've not had any problems with them. Any ideas where I'm going wrong with the g-ones?

@Winston Leg-Thigh
hookless or hooked? I have G Ones that seat everytime but TBH I only ever put them on and leave them on until they get replaced. I have had trouble with other tires that seem to do what you say, heaps of pressure over 100psi with dishwash detergent ot liquid hand soap rubbed on the bead helps but can take more than one attempt. Once on reduce pressure to normal. https://www.schwalbe.com/en/kompatibilitaet

Last edited:
@Winston Leg-Thigh
hookless or hooked? I have G Ones that seat everytime but TBH I only ever put them on and leave them on until they get replaced. I have had trouble with other tires that seem to do what you say, heaps of pressure over 100psi with dishwash detergent ot liquid hand soap rubbed on the bead helps but can take more than one attempt. Once on reduce pressure to normal. https://www.schwalbe.com/en/kompatibilitaet
@kiwisimon - hooked beads. I'll give a higher pressure a go. I usually stop at about 70psi cos the tyres are only rated to that and the rims to 90 (I think) but I'll see what happens if I try that on one of my old wheels.

@Ruda
Let me show you my ghetto diy tubeless compressor.

View attachment 28901

It's a 2L coke bottle wrapped with a bunch of tape to decrease the chance of it blowing up in my face, a presta valve on the cap, an air hose stuck in the bottom sealed with adhesive and a clip on it to kink the hose.

It works like a charm, seats my 38c gravelkings every time.
I've tested it up to 75 psi, fear pushing it higher. 🙃
GCN... hack or bodge candidate?

I have been rolling these guys for the last 4 months and absolutely zero complaints whatsoever.

When I purchased the wheelset and the tires I was mentally preparing myself to struggle with sealant leaks and difficult bedding, as reported by so many people. These Schwalbe ONE (not PRO) also had been described as hard to bed, requiring a compressor.

However, for my great surprise and relief, everything went absolutely smooth. I just added some vaseline on the tire borders to make easier to slip to the right place in the wheel, and used my cheap track pump.

IMG_7365.JPG

They are lovely looking wheels
Yeah, Firecrest 303Ses if I can read the sticker correctly. They are probably one of the best deals on the market: a thoroughly modern wheelset with wider inner rim, goldilocks depth of about 45 mm and relatively light at a great price. Plus, I agree, they look great!

I just added some vaseline on the tire borders
Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is very bad for latex rubber products including tires and will quickly degrade them.

I'd recommend removing all possible traces of Vaseline from tire and wheel. Soap and water is what folk generally use to ease the bead-seating process - I have a little spray bottle of diluted dish soap for this purpose.

Last edited:
Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is very bad for latex rubber products including tires and will quickly degrade them.

I'd recommend removing all possible traces of Vaseline from tire and wheel. Soap and water is what folk generally use to ease the bead-seating process - I have a little spray bottle of diluted dish soap for this purpose.
Hi Mike!
Thank you for pointing out. Definitely will keep that in mind.

So, it turns out I wasn't completely accurate in my post. What I used on the tires was my anti-chaffing cream (as an ultra runner, this is kind of thing I have at hand. Easier than soapy water :flip:).
I checked the ingredients of the cream, and although I can't say it doesn't contain any petroleum-based components, vaseline definitely isn't included.

For now I will take the risk and leave as it is (if it's not broken, don't fix it). I will do a throughout assessment on the tire/wheel condition in the next overhaul. (about 8 months ahead).

Yeah, using an anti-chaffing cream on bicycle wheels is a very weird thing, I admit. But at least I didn't have any problems setting it up.
Maybe this can become a trend.

Last edited:
By the way, if someone is still struggling with tire bedding or leaks, there are some good tips here:

How easy a tyre goes on and whether you need a compressor or just a pump will depend very much on the tyre you install and its size.

I've installed IRC, panaracer, continental, kenda and pirelli tyres to the same tubeless rim in the last year. Sizes 33, 35, 38, 40 and 43. Each tyre is different in the initial set up.

Definitely soapy water on the rim too.

Andy

If you don't own a compressor, take your wheels and a Schrader adaptor to the nearest self-serve gas station and use the portable tire filler there. Or ask a friendly mechanic to let you use their compressor.

For me, the hardest part of installing tubeless tires (besides getting GP5000s onto my wheels) was removing the old rim tape and getting the valves to seal properly.

Back
Top Bottom