What's new

Help TT Bike stolen alert - please help

If you have a repeat thief on your property then there is one method you can use and its worked wonders for me and a few mates in the past.

Basically it goes like this 4 - 6 of you stake out a bike durring the night. Sleeping in cars/ hiding in bushes etc.

When you catch the bugger - and you will because this guy is stupid. You give him twwo choices - Beat the living shitzle out of him or call the police.

In the UK you normally beat the shizle out of them then call the police and say he did it to himself when he tried to run for it.

That bike has zero adjustment space unless you change all wires,but I am 166 so, it will match many Japanese automatically
its a TT though so it not too easy to ride off if you are not used to it
then again,those are taken by van and dismounted

Repairing my old rusty mountain bike for commuting...for that one to be stolen I would have to bribe the thief literally

Maybe TCC and Gaurdian angles can do some joint stings. Bicycle ninjas gonna get you!:ninja:

I would be well up for a stake out.

Done it before in the UK to great effect.

I'm sorry to hear about the thefts of bikes. I don't have any additional advice, other than: All things being equal, if you're tall, get a bike with a big frame. I don't think of my bike or myself as particularly big, but with the combination of horizontal top tube and 58cm seat tube I suppose it's un-ride-away-able by most potential thieves here. (It's also deeply unfashionable, as are its components, but that's another matter.)

[. . .] 4 - 6 of you stake out a bike durring the night. Sleeping in cars/ hiding in bushes etc.

When you catch the bugger - and you will because this guy is stupid. You give him twwo choices - Beat the living shitzle out of him or call the police.

In the UK you normally beat the shizle out of them then call the police and say he did it to himself when he tried to run for it.

With respect . . . even putting aside ethical and legal concerns, this sounds to me very macho and very stupid. Cut the machismo and just call the police.

A different fantasy . . . I wonder if a "honey-pot" bike (one set up to be stolen) could itself be equipped with a camera and a transmitter.

I'm up for surveillance duties as well. Burst out of the bushes with cameras rolling, someone to tail if he makes a run for it, and somebody on comms for calling the authorities.

What's weird for me is the cops always asks where I work and if I'm a "salary man". I do happen to work someplace recognizable and respected by the j-cops... It's like the cops base the level of response on where you work, which doesn't seem right. But if it would help, I'm willing to lend my "credibility" for whatever it's worth during a stake out.

And I do have a bait bicycle. A very shiny bright green Giant Pace. At first glance, it looks to be in very good shape, but can not be ridden at any speed. Again willing to lend this out as well.

With respect . . . even putting aside ethical and legal concerns, this sounds to me very macho and very stupid. Cut the machismo and just call the police.

A different fantasy . . . I wonder if a "honey-pot" bike (one set up to be stolen) could itself be equipped with a camera and a transmitter.

What ever mate - if you've lived in London or Sheffield then you'll know what I'm on about. These people don't give a about being a member of the community of citzenship and know one rule. A slap on the wrist and a fine and these boys will be back on the street a week later. FACT.

Yeah - unfortunately - the demographic engaging in high-end ripoffs is not stupid and has minimal risk - they know it. Plus they are 90 day recyclables for the most part. Like their female 'compatriots'. The best approach is perhaps fingering them for expulsion. If they are Japanese and you are not, and attempt any physical altercation, you will be the loser, not them.

What ever mate - if you've lived in London or Sheffield then you'll know what I'm on about. These people don't give a about being a member of the community of citzenship and know one rule. A slap on the wrist and a fine and these boys will be back on the street a week later. FACT.

Confident that fisticuffs will teach a lesson? Well, I wonder just what lesson they'll teach. Possibly: "The next time I aim to lift a bike, I'll bring a taser / a switchblade / brass knuckles...." Alternatively, "This fellow who lives in nantoka-chou nanban no nanban no nanban, [***] him. I have to return with a vial of acid for his bike, his car, him, his dog, his daughter, whatever." ("***": insert verb to taste.)

Oh yes, it might have all been jolly japes in Sheffield back in the day. That's no guarantee that it will be here.

Moreover, it's really not a good idea to publicly (for this BBS is very public) arrange a get-together in which you say you may first (i) beat somebody up and then (ii) lie to the police about what happened.

What's weird for me is the cops always asks where I work and if I'm a "salary man". I do happen to work someplace recognizable and respected by the j-cops... It's like the cops base the level of response on where you work, which doesn't seem right..

Pigs oink in many languages, just saying.

Very true Mircocord and I although back when I was a lad a clip round the ear and a good hiding did wonders for the crime rate in the community.

But yes the legal implications are obvious and the authorities here might be also be a little upset about setting up a sting operation as its considered vigilante behavior and we should leave it 100% up to the authorities to deal with.

Oh he did that.

Living in LA, I've chased down car and mc thiefs before. This turned out to be good and bad. Bad when you finally catch up to the guy and he pulls a 9mm on you.

Over here it could be a knife.

There are various kinds of bicycle thieves, but the one thing they all have in common is that they're a**holes, so what can you expect?

A friend of mine in the UK observed some guys who stopped their car at a construction site on a Sunday and started loading bricks into the boot of their car. He decided to follow them until they stopped at some council estate that had a bad reputation. He then considered his options. He could go to the police and give them the license plate number. Then he might have to testify in court, if it ever came to that. In any case, who would guarantee his security once they knew his name? So he turned around and never did anything.

Never get arrested in Japan, or you'll be in a world of trouble with immigration.

Over here it could be a knife.

There are various kinds of bicycle thieves, but the one thing they all have in common is that they're a**holes, so what can you expect?

A friend of mine in the UK observed some guys who stopped their car at a construction site on a Sunday and started loading bricks into the boot of their car. He decided to follow them until they stopped at some council estate that had a bad reputation. He then considered his options. He could go to the police and give them the license plate number. Then he might have to testify in court, if it ever came to that. In any case, who would guarantee his security once they knew his name? So he turned around and never did anything.

Never get arrested in Japan, or you'll be in a world of trouble with immigration.

This all depends on which side of the tracks you roll with.

Incorrect - I know several people that have been arrested in Japan (odddly enough they are all Australians) - I also worked as a liason office for the Kanagawa police force many years ago, if you have a visa immigration never gets invovled and you are processed exactly like a japanese - only with a few more rights as you are allowed a translator. One point I would like to make though is never call the embassy - now that creates a whole world of issues.

If you are here on a tourist visa or your visa has expired you will be put in a national taxi and taken to Narita immigration detnetion centre - I know someone that spent a few months there too.

This is the best advice in my opinion.

While I completely understand your grief and rage about the stolen baby, I have had a bike stolen as well, take it easy and start looking at the next bike. Don't do anything foolish.

This is the best advice in my opinion.

While I completely understand your grief and rage about the stolen baby, I have had a bike stolen as well, take it easy and start looking at the next bike. Don't do anything foolish.

Absolutely the safest option is to sit back and do nothing - however as Jackthecommuter has found out these guys love a soft target and come back again and again - not only stealing his bikes but also damaging his property and vandalising his car.

He's reported all this to the police in his area and from all accounts it seems that they are doing nothing about it - no increase of patrols at night - Although I love the way they drive around with the blues and twos on to give enough warning to the culprits to hide away and no follow up that has detered the criminals - in fact it seems they have stepped up thier game in the area as it has proven to be a very soft target - so soft in fact they have returned to his home and stolen yet again from him and attempted to steal a "Bait Bike" on a third occasion.

This doesn't include the repeat thefts within the surrounding neibourhood.

"evil prevails when good men do nothing"

I agree that no action to protect yourself,fellow neighbours, cyclists, or family is not a good plan.

However if you are living in a situation where there is little or no support from the police or whatever then it may be best to leave the area. I see no use in risking further theft, or possibly violence that may lead to injury, harassment, or retaliation that could see a foreigner being banned from coming back (if that actually does happen).

Sometimes "discretion is the better part of valour".

Bam! quote war!:ninja:

Actually - the comprimise is to form a neighbourhood watch system - we have one where we live and recently we have ramped up the patrols and also signage has gone up in the area that the system is being actively supported in the "Ku".

It seems to work as over the years the amount of abandoned scotters, cars has seriously decreased - those nasty one room flats have disapeared and replaced with housing lots.

I suggest Jack that you bring the community together on this and set up a neighbourhood patrol and watch system - I think you can actually get support from the local government to set this up.

We pay a monthly "sub" which is part "Kodomo Kai" and part "Neighbourhood watch" leadership and patrols are on a rotation.

Moving out of the area is not the answer, its increases and encourage social decay in areas and can eventually result in "No Go" areas. Basically cival project to reclaim the streets work.

Back
Top Bottom