What's new

Trip to Tokyo: road bike rentals and routes

MarcoDE

Warming-Up
Aug 22, 2018
Konichiwa

Two friends and I are travelling to Tokyo in November and would like to go on a day trip with road bikes if we are lucky with the weather. I can't find any place to rent road bikes, can you recommend something for us, or is this rather difficult in Tokyo? Maybe you wouldn't recommend this at all? We would also need helmets and clipless pedals/shoes as we can't bring our own. That might be a problem, too. Or we go without clipless and without helmet. How about routes, where are the nicest areas to go for a 60 to 120km round trip?

Thank you in advance for your help... not sure if it is a good idea at all. But I think it would be a great experience and something different.

Regards
Marco

Chuck

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
A bit more detail on where you'll be and what kind of riding you want to do would help. You can ride up the Tama river cycling road or Arakawa for a flat and leisurely ride or you can get out into the mountains and do some climbing if you want.

MarcoDE

Warming-Up
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks you two for your suggestions! :tup

I will write an Email to Tim and ask about his rentals, his site looks very promising! We will be staying in a very central location. Leisurely sounds about right, we'd rather do some sight seeing along the way than doing a workout. The Tama river seems very nice, I will look further into both rivers you suggested. Thanks again!

Chuck

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
The route Grant suggested is nice, but be warned that the grade on that approach to Wada is pretty steep (at places 19%). If you like climbing and want a challenge though, it would be a good choice.

TokyoLiving

Maximum Pace
Dec 9, 2015
http://www.gsastuto.com/rentals.html Tim there may be able to help you. Good luck
Definitely get in touch with Tim here. Very convenient and they deliver to convenient locales for pick up.
A lot of out of towners get it delivered to a station along the Tamagawa River and start rides from there as you don't have to deal with city riding, which tends to take quite a bit of time to get out into the mountains if you are staying in central Tokyo.

Depending upon when you are going, I might be able to lead you guys on a nice route along the river and then off into the mountains a bit.

Top Bottom