Triathlete in Tokyo

Shaneo

Warming-Up
Jul 12, 2015
Hey All,
Heading to Tokyo for work for a month in September ( never been before )and I have some solid training to fit in my IM training plan. Need to fit In a few big rides around 100km on the weekends with some light spins during the week .will be bringing the roadie and leaving the TT at home but would be keen to jump on some rides. Not sure how easy it is to ride / navigate around especially not really knowing the language ..your help would be awesome :)

Cheers
Shane

Shaneo

Warming-Up
Jul 12, 2015
Hey Rob,

I'm actually doing mine back in Busselton ,Australia .
But need to get a bit of training in Tokyo ?is it quite easy to ride around ? Are there many 50 metre pools .if I need to meet a group outside of Tokyo can you take bikes in the train ..so many questions :)

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
Where in Tokyo? It's a big place. There are 50-metre pools dotted about, an open water swimming group Sunday mornings south of Tokyo, and lots of group rides at the weekend and on weekdays. Check the rides section of this forum for an idea.

Bikes can be taken on pretty much all trains, check the wiki page for info.

Shaneo

Warming-Up
Jul 12, 2015
Yes.. Sorry excuse my ignorance :( .. Not sure on where I am staying as of yet ..
But just wanted to see if it was a possibility to train hard over there .
Not knowing the language and being from a small city has me a bit intimidated of the whole process.
But its seems from the posts, I should be able to get by with some training.

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
No worries. If you have any control over where you will stay, the Arakawa river is a good place to be near to. There is a wide cycling road along it's length through Tokyo, and lots of group rides start on there.

Near to central Tokyo, there are public 50-metre pools here (near to the Arakawa) and here.

Shaneo

Warming-Up
Jul 12, 2015
Cheers Grant , great info :) your a champ

It seems I should take my roadie over rather than the time trial..
I'll hit the forum up once I am there and hopefully jump on some rides...

There aren't many hills in Perth but on the roadie on a 100km ride 1500 ascent I Average between 28 -31km an hour ,so hopefully I don't get dropped :( by the groups I jump on ..cause I am sure ill get lost ...