What's new

Transport bike to Takasaki

Gunman

Warming-Up
Aug 30, 2015
Hello folks. Moved out here after the stress of living in Tokyo, much better conditions for cycling so I look forward to using the Louis Garneau hybrid I ordered from a shop in Akasaka last week. Wondering if I can carry it on the bullet train to here (frame size 55) - the shop staff were a bit vague about types of bike bags/other options so which part of the forum should I post question about this? Thanks.

TCC, thanks a lot - does "most passenger trains" include Tokyo Metro (since I'll have to get to Ueno sta to board the shinkansen to Takasaki, there is no JR in Akasaka environs). I wonder if a taxi driver in Tokyo will accept a properly bagged new bike....

Yeah, I have taken mine on Tokyo Metro before.

You ain't getting a bike in a taxi. Just use the train. Or even better, just ride to Takasaki.

Did you get any funny looks or worse, what time of day? (If the roads were as 'empty' as out here I might just consider your suggestion). Anyway, would be a waste of a Kanto 3 day pass.

LOL. I am a white boy in Japan. I get funny looks regardless of what I am doing.

Akasaka to Takasaki is well easy.

1. Ride across to the Edogawa.
2. Ride up the Edogawa until it turns into the Tonegawa.
3. Ride the Tonegawa all the way to Takasaki.

Sorted. Could do it with your eyes closed.

I'm sh.t at directions.
Hate to be a pedant, but what's the latest thinking on the best (simplest) bike bag to use here? I'll have a gander for threads on here.

Can't ride in a straight line up a river and don't have a garmin or a smart phone? Sounds reasonable.

Bike bags;

1. Tioga
2. Fairmean
3. Pandani

There is no age limit on technology m7. Join the rest of the world in scorching a path into the future.

Ive put my bike in a taxi before. Twice. It can be done with the wheels off.

Thanks. Feel like a plonker when I could just ride it to Tokyo or Ueno sta. Think I need a bike bag which doesn't leave the seat protruding though. One of the Tiogas might do.

Thanks. Feel like a plonker when I could just ride it to Tokyo or Ueno sta. Think I need a bike bag which doesn't leave the seat protruding though. One of the Tiogas might do.
Seat protruding is perfectly OK. I use a MontBell bag all the time and the seat is out.

Forks protruding is frowned up, especially by Odakyu station staff.

Last edited:
Think I need a bike bag which doesn't leave the seat protruding though. One of the Tiogas might do.

Mate, I have shown you an actual photo of my bike on a Japanese train today, with the seat sticking out of the 7/11 bin bags, and 7/11 gaffer tape bike bag I made. How you can then deduce that you require the seat to be covered, even when presented with this glaring evidence to the contrary is, well, confusing me...

(Covered seat issue) Don't be confused. Having since read anecdotal evidence online it seems to depend on which line(s) one uses.

Back
Top Bottom