Elevation Gain: 57,495 m
Avg Speed: 27.8 km/h
Avg HR: 142 bpm
Avg Bike Cadence: 83 rpm
Calories: 246,211 C

I use Garmin Connect to log everything. :D

This year alone on my road bike I've done:

Distance: 5,022.69 km ...

Hey, leave some road out there for the rest of us! :) I've only just cracked 1300km, but this spring was unusually wet--May was horrible. (And, tho it'll probably turn out that I'm not all that much older than some here, I am, uh, 58 now.)

Paul--nice link there. There's another teacher at my school that encourages local riders to ride-commute as much as they can thru till fall (keeping it logged), and then there are some prizes for various things. Since that page can be easily switched into Japanese, I'll forward the link to him. I'm sure he'll be interested.

Finally a thread to show off shamelessly... :D

Total distance 2007: 20,691.52 km
Total distance 2008: 22,266.51km
Total distance 2009: 18,136.87km
This year only 4,500km so far...

Nice page btw, thanks for sharing.

Personally think it's depressing to add up mileage living in Tokyo. Time on the bike is the most important anyways, especially time in heart rate zones. People are always turned on by the big numbers. Think about it, what if you spent a majority of your time hill climbing, of course you'll have less distance but your time on the bike would be lots of quality fitness hours. Now for commuting which I have done since 1991 living in California definitely falls under the "don't pay attention to mileage" category. In fact, I don't even have a speedometer on my commuter. This time of year I ride about 12 hours a week. Of those twelve hours about 5 is quality fitness riding. I ride all year around and commute all year around. When I used to collect all my data I rode average about 14.500 km a year. Now that you all think I'm a dick, as you were with your big numbers.

Personally think it's depressing to add up mileage living in Tokyo. Time on the bike is the most important anyways, especially time in heart rate zones. People are always turned on by the big numbers. Think about it, what if you spent a majority of your time hill climbing, of course you'll have less distance but your time on the bike would be lots of quality fitness hours.

I do not consider commuting to be depressing. I wish I lived in Nagano, I wish I had a few hills other than Yasukuni-zaka and Shibuya on my commutes and I wish I could reach my heart rates on a hill rather than by rushing to work in dense traffic, but most of us live in or around Tokyo and try to make the best of it.

True, quality fitness hours probably amount to less than 10% of the total.

Now that you all think I'm a dick, as you were with your big numbers.

Sorry, I have nothing else to show off with. ;)

Personally think it's depressing to add up mileage living in Tokyo. ....

Sounds like you're chastising someone for loving to ride. City, country. Who cares? It's all awesome. Keep racking up the big numbers, whenever and wherever!

Deej

Yeah, it's a good point. I think I keep commuting cause I can bank the commutation fee, I make about 10,000 a month so not bad. I don't think commuting is depressing, I think checking your distance for time is. But yeah, basically I'm not into cycling as much as TCC guys are. Hats off to you, I'm just burned out on cycling here. I've actually considered quitting several times recently. Maybe it's time for a new hobby.

Keep racking up the big numbers, whenever and wherever!

Deej

Can I add that I also swim a lot?

Not sure how it translates into pedalisms, but add a few miles a week of crawl from new year's till now. With full-fingered gloves, for more resistance.

The school pool has been a saviour--and I love the water.

John D.

on edit: it's indoors and of course lots of water, so no reason to try my edge 500 there....

lylen,

funnily enough most of my riding is commuting, but when you commute 70km from Yokohama to Tokyo everyday come rain or shine and use it for race training the numbers add up.

Now I commute into Yokohama from where I live, door to door is only about 26km daily but I've added another 14km to it to add some hills. But when you do this 5 days a week, again rain or shine that adds up to 200km a week!

I love riding can't get enough of it im even happy sitting on the rollers during the winter putting in 50km.

But if its got to the point where you really hate it.... put it away and have a complete break from it.....and the passion will return eventually!

funnily enough most of my riding is commuting, but when you commute 70km from Yokohama to Tokyo everyday come rain or shine and use it for race training the numbers add up.

Totally floored by this. I presume an 18-km one way commute is nothing to you. That's about the distance I plan on riding to work come late summer till just before winter. Shit! and I thought that was far :eek:. Gotta convince myself I can do it, if not daily at least 3 times a week.

On Road,

Yes and no, like I said there are 3 climbs in my commute and I use the course to power train and you can do a lot in 18km.....its not how far you ride but how you ride them.

One of the climbs averages at 14% gradient for 1.3km and I try and ride with an output of about 340-380watts..... this averages out over the whole ride of 40km to be about 33kph, I'm aiming at about 85% of my total capacity.

The flat section along route 16 im pushing around 50kph. The whole course has really upped my sprinting. I then use the weekends to build endurance.

Start easy, when you first start commuting I started with an 18km round trip to start with and it blew me out, after about 2 weeks of being tired I suddenly was over it so started commuting everyday. another two weeks of feeling tired and the body adapted and before long I was adding extra km as the 18km was just flying by to quick!

Good luck in your commutes and stick with it!

My commute is quite short, just 9km one way, but I do it everyday that I work in the office. When I started I told myself to try for two or three times a week, but after you do it a couple of times and get used to it, taking the train becomes the chore, riding the pleasure. I have a short but exciting ride through Harajuku, Omotesando, Azabujuban, and Hiroo. As you can imagine the trains through those areas are can get quite packed, so whipping through traffic on the bike is easily the better way to travel. Once you buy some good cycling rain gear, you're good to go year-round.

Right on!

lylen,

....But if its got to the point where you really hate it.... put it away and have a complete break from it.....and the passion will return eventually!

I took a break for about 20yrs (1988 - 2009) with no serious riding. Now I'm riding 3-4 days a week and loving it again. I may even break out my old rides from storage in the LA desert. That is, when I can get my 10-in-10 goal completed.

Since I work from home - not much in the way of a commute - but I find the palace loop suffices - get up early, bang out a few laps, then back, a perfect '2hr commute'. On the odd days - I have a 3hr circuit - 1hr out to Arakawa, TT, sprints, hiki, whatever, then 1hr back. Leaving at 6 or 6.30 still puts me back at the desk with plenty of time for the boring stuff (work).

Desperately need a Garmin - no longer have the discipline to update a diary.

gastuto--I picked up an edge 500 via wiggle for two man. Via the garmin connect site you get a nice calendar (diary) of your rides.

(But I'm still getting used to it..., the buttons and so on. Today, after getting home, I left it on and when I uploaded the ride there was an hour+ of dead time tacked onto the end. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36513832 )

Well... those numbers are not so big...
I was trying to make a point that the distance you ride is not such a good measure of ability. Mostly it's a measure of... of the distance you ride, which is impressive in it's own right. So yeah, I shouldn't have made the comment in the first place but just for the record I'm a boastful ass, okay... I'll shut up now.

Back
Top Bottom