What's new

Training to ride the length of Japan

one piece of advice. Coast from Sendai to Aomori has some brutal climbing. Get a bailout gear or two or you'll be pushing your bike too much to have fun. Going up the center through Morioka is much more easy on the knees if you undergear. No one ever really regretted having too many gears when touring.

3. You can tour on any bike and with any gear. Don't stress too much about having the perfect stove or the perfect bike. Outside of things like low enough gearing and a bike that fits you, most everything else can be made to work.
QFT.
@adventurous cyclist does all of his adventures on a modest bike and on a shoe string budget.

The only addition I'd make is that you should keep up with maintenance, i. e. to clean your bike regularly, to make sure the drivetrain is in good condition, to make sure your tires are still good, etc.

My meals are simple and you can see pictures of them on my post. I try not to spend more then 500 yen a day for food, and yes, it is possible. Water is a challenge though. If you can't find free water, you might end up spending 300 yen a day in the summer just for water.
Make sure you have your bike insurance card with you, your passport and any health info on you.
I'm never in a hurry when I camp so I'm more touring and sightseeing and I like nature ( but I haven't hiked any mountains yet, but did go by car once to where they handglide in Tottori)
Have emergency money on you. If you have an ATM card and due to heat you may get confused and input your pin number wrong, your card won't work after that. ( I think it is 2 times ) Learn where guest houses are ahead of time, you may need them in typhoon weather.
Bring duck tape for tent repairs.
Well, anyway you ask me a question about routes. I use a paper map, google map and most importantly I just ask people how to get to my next destination. And guess what, sometimes at 7-11, a person gave me a map, got some rice balls, some cold drinks and friendly conversation.
Enjoy your journey.

Hey @Dilbert welcome to the forum. I have a lot of cycle touring kilometers under my belt both in Japan and overseas. In Japan I mostly wild camp because it's possible and safe, and sometimes it's just necessary due to the lack of organized camp sites. I agree with what has been said already in the thread, specifically the advice about heading out for shorter trips to test out your gear. In a country like Japan with access to shops and vending machines and public transportation close by most of the time, your gear list for a trip of a few days will probably be the same as your gear list for a month or more. The only difference being you might need clothes for more varied weather conditions on a longer journey. So testing everything out on shorter trips closer to home is a good way to learn how you like to tour, what pace and distance works for you, what you like or don't like about your gear, and to get used to consecutive days in the saddle. I'm happy to offer my 2 cents on any other specific questions you have.

Here are three tips off the top of my head to think about as you get started:
  1. Loose allen keys are better than a multi tool for long tours. Most multi tools are stubby, and can't always reach everywhere you need them to go on the bike, or not reach and turn comfortably. The selection of allen keys you need for most things on your bike probably weighs about the same as a multitool anyway, and will make tuneups on the road much easier.
  2. If you haven't already bought your shelter, pay attention to the length of the folded poles (if using a tent). I had one tent with really long poles when folded and it was always a pain to figure out where on the bike to store it as it would stick out the top of the large pannier. I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 now and the pole sections are quite short, which gives me a lot more options for where to pack it on the bike. Side note: I love Big Agnes. Yes they cost and arm and a leg, but my CS UL1 has been going strong for more than 10 years now and still works as well as the day I got it. I'm well over 100 nights in that tent at this point. I have heard good things about the more affordable Nature Hike brand which you can find on Amazon I think but I have no personal experience with them.
  3. You can tour on any bike and with any gear. Don't stress too much about having the perfect stove or the perfect bike. Outside of things like low enough gearing and a bike that fits you, most everything else can be made to work. I met a couple of high school kids touring around Yamanakako with duffle bags strapped to rear racks with bungee cords. I had to help them fix a flat which they were not prepared for but they were having a great time. My first ever tour was around Izu with a bunch of guys on mountain bikes wearing backpacks with their gear in it. Not the way I would want to tour, but again, we all had a great time. As long as your bike is not actively harming you, everything else will probably be fine. Better (and lighter) gear can certainly make a difference in your enjoyment but it's not a deal breaker. I will say that you should make sure you have a decent shelter. Spending a night in a rainstorm in a leaky tent is absolutely not a good time.
Wild camping, I'm still on the fence about (never done before, anyone know its actually something you can get in trouble for or do you just get a baka gaijin slap on the wrist?). loose allen keys, understood. I like that story about duffle bag camping lol, yeah Im definitely ready to go. I'm currently practicing packing my gear, its a bit of a struggle right now (I figured since its my first time I would be slow). Curious how long it takes you to unpack / pack up for the night / morning?

QFT.
@adventurous cyclist does all of his adventures on a modest bike and on a shoe string budget.

The only addition I'd make is that you should keep up with maintenance, i. e. to clean your bike regularly, to make sure the drivetrain is in good condition, to make sure your tires are still good,
Daily check or just after it seems like a messy day?

My meals are simple and you can see pictures of them on my post. I try not to spend more then 500 yen a day for food, and yes, it is possible. Water is a challenge though. If you can't find free water, you might end up spending 300 yen a day in the summer just for water.
Make sure you have your bike insurance card with you, your passport and any health info on you.
I'm never in a hurry when I camp so I'm more touring and sightseeing and I like nature ( but I haven't hiked any mountains yet, but did go by car once to where they handglide in Tottori)
Have emergency money on you. If you have an ATM card and due to heat you may get confused and input your pin number wrong, your card won't work after that. ( I think it is 2 times ) Learn where guest houses are ahead of time, you may need them in typhoon weather.
Bring duck tape for tent repairs.
Well, anyway you ask me a question about routes. I use a paper map, google map and most importantly I just ask people how to get to my next destination. And guess what, sometimes at 7-11, a person gave me a map, got some rice balls, some cold drinks and friendly conversation.
Enjoy your journey.
wow 500 yen a day for food. how do you get enough calories? I feel like I eat 50% - 75% more than usual on full day ride just to keep energy up. Bike insurance meaning the one just in case you run someone over?
So true about ATM card being locked out after two tries...so lame. I've noticed more and more shops accept credit cards than the last time I live in Japan. Anyone know if thats true even outside of big cities or is cash still king?
Asking people directions, honestly haven't tried for cycling, will do. I will need to brush up on directions nihongo, havent done that lesson in a long time.

If you're willing to carry the weight, you can have a few 2L water bottles with you and fill them up at parks or politely ask a shop to fill them from their sinks when you eat there... Chains probably won't but smaller shops will in general fill you up a bottle or two.
When I was bikepacking mainland Southeast Asia, I'd regularly be carrying 8L+ of water, and it would only last me the day. A lot cheaper than only buying 2L at a time.

You can definitely get by at 500Y/day for food but that's cooking for yourself, which is extra equipment and costs apart from the ingredients. It all depends on what kind of a trip you want to make it ...
If you want to make it a vacation and don't mind spending more than shoestring, local Japanese cuisine is amazing and so very different from town to town and prefecture to prefecture.

Japan is definitely more card friendly than before but small local shops? Cash is king.
Good thing is you can easily carry 50000 yen and not be bothered, so just don't go to an ATM when you're about to pass out ;)
Or have a safety stash of 10-20 thousand yen (a splurge at a nice cash only restaurant can easily eat ten thousand yen), and use credit card wherever they will accept it. Which will be most places.
I like train cards (suica/pasmo) over credit cards for the one benefit that a lot of vending machines will accept them, meaning you can get a quick drink in emergency situations without ending up with a pocket full of change.

Wild camping, I'm still on the fence about (never done before, anyone know its actually something you can get in trouble for or do you just get a baka gaijin slap on the wrist?). loose allen keys, understood. I like that story about duffle bag camping lol, yeah Im definitely ready to go. I'm currently practicing packing my gear, its a bit of a struggle right now (I figured since its my first time I would be slow). Curious how long it takes you to unpack / pack up for the night / morning?
Any issues you might have with wild camping largely depend on where you do it. I wouldn't camp on school grounds, for example, but there are a lot of rivers in Japan that offer great wild camp sites. To minimize your chances of having a negative reaction from someone set up late and pack out early, making sure to leave no trash or sign you were there. Oldsters are on the river paths from about 4am, so it's difficult to avoid them entirely, but in my experience most people don't mind as long as you're tidy and respectful. In the evening I will usually find a spot to camp, then cycle somewhere to have dinner and a beer, then head back to the spot I picked out earlier to set up when it's dark.

Time to set up and pack up depends on how motivated I am. Usually slower in the morning. In pouring rain on the Olympic Penninsula I think I got the tent up in about two minutes, haha. But usually I guess it's about 30 minutes for setting everything up or packing up. It definitely gets faster once you know where everything is in your bags and where everything should go when putting it back in. Depends on your set up as well. I use panniers which are a bit more forgiving since there is more space. I cycled with a guy with a serious bikepacking rig, and the amount of tetrising he had to do to get everything to fit in the limited bag space he had made packing up more time consuming.

I wouldn't sweat the fitness factor too much, not on a three months trip. If you aren't fit when you start, you'll get there soon as long as you don't quit in the first two weeks :)

With 70 km a day you're not far from what you may want to do on a longer trip. My longest tour was only 4 days from Umbria to Florence in Italy, when we did about 80 km a day and it felt like a perfect distance for relaxed touring.

n the evening I will usually find a spot to camp, then cycle somewhere to have dinner and a beer, then head back to the spot I picked out earlier to set up when it's dark.
same for me. but maybe two beers
If you can save leftovers from the evening meal if can mean you can wake up, pack up, get some calories in and be on the road well ahead of the morning crowds,
nothing more satisfying in getting 60kms in before thinking about lunch and that is at an easy average of 15 -20 kmh depending on winds and terrain.
afternoons i save for sight seeing, chatting with locals, (they will often give you camping sites), doing laundry maintenance and chilling.

I wouldn't sweat the fitness factor too much, not on a three months trip. If you aren't fit when you start, you'll get there soon as long as you don't quit in the first two weeks :)

With 70 km a day you're not far from what you may want to do on a longer trip. My longest tour was only 4 days from Umbria to Florence in Italy, when we did about 80 km a day and it felt like a perfect distance for relaxed touring.
At 69, I might consider myself fit to cycle Japan mainly because I just say " screw it " and go. I am a bit over weight for my size though. For me since its summer a few things matter. Have enough water with you. Try your best to cycle where the shade is. It is much cooler real fast as you already know. Breakfast can be a slice of bread. Bananas spoil real fast in this hot weather, but a banana is great. A palm full of almonds. They help you relax . Lunch break, usually bread with 7-11 ham, water and chips. Dinner, varies but usually boiled carrots, cabbage, and some kind of noodles. I try to stay away from greasy foods and process foods other then chips.

Any issues you might have with wild camping largely depend on where you do it. I wouldn't camp on school grounds, for example, but there are a lot of rivers in Japan that offer great wild camp sites. To minimize your chances of having a negative reaction from someone set up late and pack out early, making sure to leave no trash or sign you were there. Oldsters are on the river paths from about 4am, so it's difficult to avoid them entirely, but in my experience most people don't mind as long as you're tidy and respectful. In the evening I will usually find a spot to camp, then cycle somewhere to have dinner and a beer, then head back to the spot I picked out earlier to set up when it's dark.

Time to set up and pack up depends on how motivated I am. Usually slower in the morning. In pouring rain on the Olympic Penninsula I think I got the tent up in about two minutes, haha. But usually I guess it's about 30 minutes for setting everything up or packing up. It definitely gets faster once you know where everything is in your bags and where everything should go when putting it back in. Depends on your set up as well. I use panniers which are a bit more forgiving since there is more space. I cycled with a guy with a serious bikepacking rig, and the amount of tetrising he had to do to get everything to fit in the limited bag space he had made packing up more time consuming.
Yeah I guess generally out of sight is the goal and after dark? Don't make a mess and pack out early. Olympic peninsula, you lived in Washington? I lived in Seattle for 4 years only did hiking there sadly no cycling, such a missed opportunity. I got panniers but haven't ridden with them fully weighed down yet with all my gear, they seem to fit my style of cycling, not the fastest but convenient.

same for me. but maybe two beers
If you can save leftovers from the evening meal if can mean you can wake up, pack up, get some calories in and be on the road well ahead of the morning crowds,
nothing more satisfying in getting 60kms in before thinking about lunch and that is at an easy average of 15 -20 kmh depending on winds and terrain.
afternoons i save for sight seeing, chatting with locals, (they will often give you camping sites), doing laundry maintenance and chilling.
I will give that a try, I'm studying japanese now so hopefully between clearly being in an overloaded bicycle and broken japanese I can string some meaning together.

At 69, I might consider myself fit to cycle Japan mainly because I just say " screw it " and go. I am a bit over weight for my size though. For me since its summer a few things matter. Have enough water with you. Try your best to cycle where the shade is. It is much cooler real fast as you already know. Breakfast can be a slice of bread. Bananas spoil real fast in this hot weather, but a banana is great. A palm full of almonds. They help you relax . Lunch break, usually bread with 7-11 ham, water and chips. Dinner, varies but usually boiled carrots, cabbage, and some kind of noodles. I try to stay away from greasy foods and process foods other then chips.
I think I will do some convenience store food and non perishable snacks for my first couple of trips (haven't bought portable cookware yet)

Have a great trip! I'm curious to hear what you learn from this overnighter.
Yeah I guess generally out of sight is the goal and after dark? Don't make a mess and pack out early. Olympic peninsula, you lived in Washington? I lived in Seattle for 4 years only did hiking there sadly no cycling, such a missed opportunity. I got panniers but haven't ridden with them fully weighed down yet with all my gear, they seem to fit my style of cycling, not the fastest but convenient.
To be honest I don't always worry so much about being out of sight. It's nice if you can manage it but it's not always possible. Keep your gear nice and tidy, don't leave trash lying around, and pack up and get out early. Most people don't mind you being there if you're not being a dick about it.

I was cycling through Washington on a long bike tour. That torrential downpour day I was actually at a really fancy campsite with a lodge and upscale cabins and the like. Thinking I might treat myself when I was checking in at the lodge I asked about the cost for a room. The kindly receptionist says, "Rooms start at 200." Stunned I blurted out, "Dollars?!" Hahaha, not sure what else it could've been but I was not prepared for that number.

Do you have a light on your bike?
Can't see one on the pictures but I suggest having a good one, especially for the main trip.
Some days just really don't go to plan and you end up riding in the dark.
Police also occasionally go on a spree to catch cyclists without lights...

I have a rechargeable light on my bike that attaches on with a clip, and doubles as a torch as needed.
Might be worth getting a similar one can be useful to set up the tent in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom