Training schedule suggestions

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
All,

It's a new semester for me and a new schedule, I won't be able to free ride it so much now as I'm busy with classes again so I'd like to get the most out of my time available.

Here is a little background on me: 2 years riding, 33, 179cm tall, 62kg, usually I ride about 150+km per week.

Here is my initial thoughts on a schedule: early morning rides - 30km x 4 weekdays (my study week is mon-sat) and a longish ride on Sundays 70+km.
For example:
Monday - pedal work
Tuesday - climbing strength and the technique that I know of
Wednesday - stand-up / chomping big gears? Not too sure what to put here
Thursday - ???
Friday - rest day
Saturday - rest day
Sunday - 70+km ride

The climbing would be in the local hills around my place, nothing serious but I can use them as a trainer. I will do the weekdays from 6-7am and then it's a full day in the books for me, I was going to do my regular 50km rides but they take too long (2hrs) and I like Eric's idea of short/often weekday rides.

I'm open to suggestions from my fellow TCC riders!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Some things that have worked pretty well for me over the years.

1) Take one or two of your training sessions into the gym. Just work on freeweights (I use a Navy Seal set cause that's what was taught to me). This set focuses only on upper body and mainly ITB conditioning. Plus stretching, you're in and out in under an hour.

2) Again, most recreational riders will achieve at least 80-90% their max performance and ability within a year of consistent riding (2-3x a week) as long as you simply ride a little harder. If you're looking to gain that last 10-20% of your potential, things will get serious and generally require a coach and training plan.

3) Most benefical is interval training. Period. If you have only one training session available on the bike, then do intervals. This will improve every aspect of your conditioning. There are tons of articles on doing intervals. And you can do this on road or trainer.

4) Save your weekend (or long ride) for your 'fun rides'. Don't sweat it. Just go out and ride and have a great time! Choose rides that are challenging and diverse. If you are thinking about doing some competitive or 'fun ride' events - then choose rides that tend more towards those types of events. Like mountainous , circuit (Oi Futo) , TT /enduros (Arakawa, Tone Gawa), etc.

5) Anytime you're on your bike is a good time. Constantly be thinking about pedal stroke, position and just 'being there'. The mental aspect of training is as equally important as the physical. You can ride hard in your mind even if you are just commuting at an average pace.

6) Realize there is no magic bullet. Everyone has a genetically pre-determined capability. You'll be able to optimize that through regular excercise and focused conditioning. No more, no less. Don't sweat it. You might not become the next Frank Schleck, but it's not really important - what's important is to gain confidence and conditioning to tackle the rides and events that you find enjoyable and enriching.

Mainly - ride for yourself and within yourself.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
@Tim

Thanks for reminding me about intervals, I will add that to my schedule for sure but unfortuanly I won't be able to do the gym right yet as I am still waiting for my Visa.

The reasons you mentioned that speak to me, and probably any real enthusiast, was riding for myself and the love of the bike.

Agreed, the mental is a tough one and one that I do work on all the time, but I can always do more.

One of the main reasons I want to put some structure into my rides is because I want to build not only my fitness but also my confidence to start riding bigger rides, and start some basic competitive racing.