Training Advice please ;-)

Sep 22, 2009
Shinagawa
I need some training advice as I really don't want to damage anything

The background:-
Right I hadn't cycled for ages due in work and home life being really stressful
Which came to a head in January with all the staff being made redundant

The Plan:-
From Jan to March I put on 10kg and I decided that enough was enough and in April I started back cycling doing 6km to 10km runs 3-4 times a week, these expanded to my currant run of 22km

I have been doing the 22km 3-4 times a week for a few weeks my cycles (odemeter reads 620km)
a lot depends on the weather

now this week I have been able to do Mon-Thurs but I'm wondering if it's better have a rest day ?
I'm still sore but I'm don't know if just pushing on is causing me more harm that good ?

Can't really do weekends as I have the kids

Here's my cyclemeter data

Monday
http://cyclemeter.com/91c73fd9d2acb063/Cycle-20130708-0829?r=e
Tuesday
http://cyclemeter.com/91c73fd9d2acb063/Cycle-20130709-0903?r=e
Wednesday
http://cyclemeter.com/91c73fd9d2acb063/Cycle-20130710-0859?r=e
Thursday
http://cyclemeter.com/91c73fd9d2acb063/Cycle-20130711-0912?r=e

But I do feel better and I'm losing weight slowly

Also whats the next step ?

Yair

Maximum Pace
Nov 10, 2009
Hachioji
Next step will be hiring a proper trainer to set you up with a training + nutrition plan. I would recommend FarEast (James) from this club.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Or if you don't want to get that serious,

STEP 1 - You can look at finding a route that allows you to ride without stopping.

It is kind of hard to do anything in 22km Especially 22km of traffic. A 10 minute warm up and cool down would have you effectively training hard for about 5km. If I was you I would just look at increasing the distance of each day. 30-40km Ride 2 on one rest day. Ie no effort just spinning high cadence low HR.

STEP 2 Get a book or two (and read them!) (The cheapest form of trainer)

Plan on training within your heart rate zones, and mixing up your efforts. There are lots of good books out there that can help you get to the next level, and open the door to a variety of training ideas that allow you to structure what you are doing.

You could do something like this!!

ie
Monday warm up- consistant 120-130 HR (1hr)
Tuesday Intervals or hill repeats- Find a decent hill or 2km stretch and go for it along that road 175BPM. Ride back and do it again. Repeat for your training time. Cruise home. (40min)
Wednesday - Rest day - No HR above 120BPM (40min)
Thursday - Tempo - Consistant 140-150 BPM, No all out exertion even on hills. (90min)
Friday - Mixed run, Have fun enjoying your new strength and drafting 50cc scooters putting them to shame on the hills. (Whatever min)

Anyway assuming you don't have a heart condition or something fatal a week like this shouldn't kill you.

Sep 22, 2009
Shinagawa
Or if you don't want to get that serious,

STEP 1 - You can look at finding a route that allows you to ride without stopping.

It is kind of hard to do anything in 22km Especially 22km of traffic. A 10 minute warm up and cool down would have you effectively training hard for about 5km. If I was you I would just look at increasing the distance of each day. 30-40km Ride 2 on one rest day. Ie no effort just spinning high cadence low HR.

STEP 2 Get a book or two (and read them!) (The cheapest form of trainer)

Plan on training within your heart rate zones, and mixing up your efforts. There are lots of good books out there that can help you get to the next level, and open the door to a variety of training ideas that allow you to structure what you are doing.

You could do something like this!!

ie
Monday warm up- consistant 120-130 HR (1hr)
Tuesday Intervals or hill repeats- Find a decent hill or 2km stretch and go for it along that road 175BPM. Ride back and do it again. Repeat for your training time. Cruise home. (40min)
Wednesday - Rest day - No HR above 120BPM (40min)
Thursday - Tempo - Consistant 140-150 BPM, No all out exertion even on hills. (90min)
Friday - Mixed run, Have fun enjoying your new strength and drafting 50cc scooters putting them to shame on the hills. (Whatever min)

Anyway assuming you don't have a heart condition or something fatal a week like this shouldn't kill you.
Thanks I don't think I'm ready for trainer and I don't know if I want to take that route

My bayside route is not bad it's a shared path but it's empty if I'm lucky I will see 5-10 people using it and it's got 5-6 stops
Most of my run seems to be zone 4 144-162bpm 57mins

I thought i may try to mix it up with bayside and then go over to the tama river for 15km or so but it's tough in this heat

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
I thought i may try to mix it up with bayside and then go over to the tama river for 15km or so but it's tough in this heat
Positive spin, Joe. The weather is balmy. Even at a mere 20 km/h, you will be caressed by zephyrs.

And just think of all the mental exercise that awaits you along Tama, that great obstacle course. I'm particularly impressed by the way that mothers push their strollers into sudden U-turns. ("If I don't turn my head to see any cyclists bearing down on me, they can't exist.")