What's new

Help Trainer mats

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
It's terrible I know but it seems to be getting hotter and I'm sweating more on my trainer these days. I've currently got a towel on the carpet under the trainer but I think a large mat that would be easy to wipe the sweat off might make more sense going forward.

What roller mats are folks using? I'm riding on carpet over concrete in the basement so vibrations or noise isn't a problem. What's good/bad about the mat you are using and where did you get it?

Of course I'll also try to go outside - promise...

I don't have a proper mat. I do this...

-Towels on the floor under my bike.
-Bars wrapped in cling film, then a towel around them.
-Bike sweat cover thing. I got the Tacx one. It has lasted really good and is very well made. Recommended.
-Phone cling film wrapped and then gaffa taped to the Tacx bike cover.

Sorted.

After finishing, I rip the phone off the Tacx thing, unwrap it and lob the cling film-gaffa tape ball in the bin. Take the Tacx thing off and lob it in the washing machine with the towels and kit. If it is winter / I have decided not to leave my apartment for an entire month, I leave the cling film on the bars.

This doesn't actually answer your question, I know. Haha.

My go to mat is really good. It's pretty damn long though, coming in at 1.2 millions kilometres. It's made from a pretty hardy material called asphalt. You might struggle to find it in your house however. I highly recommend it.

Minoura one that I got with the trainer as a deal. Very heavy and hard wearing. I leave it out with the trainer on it, though they both pack up. It's what a plop my bike on when I get back from a ride.
It wipes down easily and nothing I have discharged has left a lingering blemish. Does honk a bit, I should do something about that.
It has a spongy noise and vibration dampening area for the trainer and the remainder is long enough for the rest.
I think it's much the same as any other.
I have towels down, too. I fling them when I'm done after using them to wipe the overspill away.
I use a sweat thong thing as well. Again, it's the Minoura one but I would not recommend getting that to anyone. It doesn't cover much and it pretty badly designed and made.
I'd suggest getting something average, middle of the road.
Don't listen to @leicaman he goes running until he loses his mind instead of drinking alcohol like any sane person.
minoura-trainer-mat-med.jpg

Last edited:
2cm thick 1msquare foam rubber floor tiles from Costco.
I too tried using homeless people but they keep moving.

The trainer is a bit like masturbating I guess. Not many like to admit they do it. Some get kinky and use all kinds of things like cling film, some like to make it feel more like the real thing with all kinds of simulation gear, while others watch videos while they do it. But I'm happy for @leicaman that he doesn't need to do it. It's a personal choice. Personally I really enjoy myself:innocent:

Now. I do like the idea of the cling film on the bars. I was actually thinking of something like that but that should work. Will pop into the local 100 yen shop later. Thanks for the other info too!

I don't have a proper mat. I do this...

-Towels on the floor under my bike.
-Bars wrapped in cling film, then a towel around them.
-Bike sweat cover thing. I got the Tacx one. It has lasted really good and is very well made. Recommended.
-Phone cling film wrapped and then gaffa taped to the Tacx bike cover.

Sorted.

After finishing, I rip the phone off the Tacx thing, unwrap it and lob the cling film-gaffa tape ball in the bin. Take the Tacx thing off and lob it in the washing machine with the towels and kit. If it is winter / I have decided not to leave my apartment for an entire month, I leave the cling film on the bars.

This doesn't actually answer your question, I know. Haha.

Good info. Was wondering about the Minoura one but I have the Minoura sweat thong and it's just so-so so I was wondering. Been looking around for a close up of the side profile along with the the top surface to get a better idea what its like. If you have a chance could you pop up a photo later?

Minoura one that I got with the trainer as a deal. Very heavy and hard wearing. I leave it out with the trainer on it, though they both pack up. It's what a plop my bike on when I get back from a ride.
It wipes down easily and nothing I have discharged has left a lingering blemish. Does honk a bit, I should do something about that.
It has a spongy noise and vibration dampening area for the trainer and the remainder is long enough for the rest.
I think it's much the same as any other.
I have towels down, too. I fling them when I'm done after using them to wipe the overspill away.
I use a sweat thong thing as well. Again, it's the Minoura one but I would not recommend getting that to anyone. It doesn't cover much and it pretty badly designed and made.
I'd suggest getting something average, middle of the road.
Don't listen to @leicaman he goes running until he loses his mind instead of drinking alcohol like any sane person.

Cheapy solution is a blue tarp raided from a homeless man.

Probably best leave the tarp with the poor man. It's not the mat I am looking for at least but could suit others I guess.

When I do get on my trainer I keep a few hand towels within reach to the side. Wiping off every couple minutes seems easier than letting it go and then cleaning up after. (But there is also a Tacx mat that also catches a bit.)

When I do get on my trainer I keep a few hand towels within reach to the side. Wiping off every couple minutes seems easier than letting it go and then cleaning up after. (But there is also a Tacx mat that also catches a bit.)

Won't work for me. I'm turning into a sweat tap. How is the Tacx mat?

Interesting. No sweat between the mats? Do they wipe well?
Well, we British dont actually sweat as such. Sometimes we get a little hot under the collar or develop a healthy glow but as for dripping in wet stuff.... Never!

Having a fan on full blast helps dry a lot of the sweat...not all but possibly half of it...a fan and towels are all I ever used.

Now. I do like the idea of the cling film on the bars. I was actually thinking of something like that but that should work. Will pop into the local 100 yen shop later. Thanks for the other info too!

Yeah, this totally stops your bar tape getting ruined. I nicked the idea from Yuuta at Omiya SEO. He wraps the bars of all the display bikes to keep them clean.

Thanks for posting the photos @Musashi13 . Looks like a nice thin mat for the most part and padded at the rear underneath. Do you think its long enough at the front for out of the saddle slogging?

No problems there for me but I don't have a massive bike or hang over the front like Midousuji

3904144.jpg
lol

tumblr_n7a4ehl65W1t3w37po10_400.gif

It's listed as 1730×730mm

I've ragged myself to death on mine and splattered sweat all over the shop. The majority lands where it should.

I am by no means an authority on these thing but I doubt I'll need a new one for the foreseeable.

Back
Top Bottom