What's new

Tragic accident in Yokohama

It's not that strict - My daily training route is on the Tsurumigawa Cycle Road and is actually patroled by police officers on mopeds from time to time - they have to ride at 20km/h but I've often gone past at 40+ km/h and they haven't batted an eyelid. However these sections are wide enough for 2 dump trucks to pass on.

However I know for a fact they will nail me to the wall if I was involved in an accident.

No info given about this case, but I'd wonder how ear buds might affect liability.

I frequently call out to folks I'm approaching from behind. Some hear, some don't...

In the case of the pedestrian wearing earphones none - it is not illegal for a pedestrian to walk or jog with earphones. (although I personally beleive it should be for joggers as it is for cyclists)

If the cyclist was wearing earphones - Alot and could make it worse for him as it is illegal to ride while wearing earphones, including bluetooth adapters for telephone calls.

I saw an old Cnut almost get taken out by a Harley travelling at speed a few months back. He was riding his bike through 4 lanes of stopped traffic on Ome kaido, not on a crossing, not looking. The one clear lane was the scooter race lane. Not a look as he blissfully doddled out right into the path of the Harley who just avoided him just clipping his front wheel ever so slightly.

Hopefully he has passed away peacefully before he ruins his own and someone elses life because of his own shortcomimgs in either remembering or caring about the rules of the road.

Basically I automatically assume that the rider/pedestrian in front of me is going to do something erratic and slow down (to a speed where I can make a dead stop) and call out polietly. I don't get pissed if they don't move or hear me I just wait till I can get past safely - the law is against me so why risk it?

My average wattage or speed results are no way as important as somebody's well being and more importantly I would rather avoid incarceration due to negligent manslaughter.

Yep, I think the advice to treat everyone else on the road/path/whatever as idiots is best. Only when the road is completely clear and you can see all around can you really let rip with few concerns, otherwise a finger or two on the brakes and expect the unexpected.

Also some more information on Japanese signage:

Bicycles Only
tmt088.jpg

*Designed as a cycle track or road exclusively for bicycles (road constructed for the pasage of bicycles only)
*Pedestrians and vehicles other than regular bicycles are prohibited.

However - You MUST still give way to pedestrians and if you are involved in an accident then liability will fall on the cyclist.

Bicycle and Pedestrians Only
768pxsingaporeroadsigns.png

*Designed exclusively for bicycles and pedestrians.
*Closed to vehicles other than regular bicycles.
*Designated sidewalk where regular bicycles are permitted.

Note: Even if the bicycle is pictured above the pedestrian this does not designate that the cyclist has right of way - as a light vehicle the cyclist must give way to the pedestrian.

*20km/h speed limit applys

Dangerous Driving for Accident resulting in death or injury
(bicycles full under this as they are considered light vehicles.)

Drivers involved in accidents resulting in injury due to drunken (yes you can be given a DUI on a bike), reckless, or dangerous driving could face up to 15 years imprisonment, 1 to 20 years if the accident results in death.

Tragic accident, and do hope the family of the deceased get through the loss of their loved one and also hope that there is a good outcome for the cyclist involved.... easy for forget that we can have considerable force (newton's 1st and 3rd laws). I've learned to go a number of notches down or altogther avoid MUPs. best buy i've made is those silly 100yen store bells. I try to only go on river paths when I have the magic bell. With the bell 99% of people simply move over by instinct - w/o looking back. learned that his is MUCH better than verbal cues like "jitensha torimasu". For me verbal call outs result in ~50% of the pedestrians looking back before moving over.. and changing their direction of travel in the exact OPPOSITE direction of where you want then to go.

best buy i've made is those silly 100yen store bells.

Bells are required by law. This is one reason why before every brevet I ride they check to make sure my bike has one. I find them most useful wherever cyclists and pedestrians mix.

Pedestrian-irrelevant, but if I remember right, a rear-facing reflector is still required at night. A bike I bought last year didn't have one, and when I asked in a store the man there made a dismissive comment about reflectors, saying that a light was much better and therefore that they didn't bother to stock reflectors. I bought a light but later I bought a reflector too. Even as a reflector, it's probably feeble compared with all the Scotchlite that's anyway on my shoes, jacket, etc; but I'm inoculating myself against hassle from the fuzz (or so I fondly believe). And who knows, it might even make me more visible.

but I'm inoculating myself against hassle from the fuzz (or so I fondly believe).

If you hit a pedestrian, having a reflector won't save you; unless you hit a pedestrian they most likely won't care if you have a reflector or not. I have a reflector on the seat tube, two tail lights (one on the helmet) and use my reflective brevet vest at night. You can never be too visible :)

Expect to be hassled by the police in the following cases:
1) Having caused an accident involving pedestrians or other "weaker" party (e.g. mamachari with mom and kids)
2) Riding a fixed gear without brakes
3) As a young male riding a mamachari that might be stolen - they like to check registration
4) Riding with a passenger sitting on the rear rack
5) Running red lights in plain view of police, in particular during traffic safety campaigns or while texting.

Back
Top Bottom