What's new

track racing advice?

Cool.

Top tips: Go as fast as you can. Turn left. Repeat.

I'll be racing on the track this Sunday for the first time:

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2012/06/going-to-the-races.html

In summary, a 2 km TT and a 6 km scratch race (probably 8 starters) on a standard road bike with a rear disc for both races and aerobars for the TT.

Any advice on how to tackle the two events would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I've done the Omiya keirin a few times and love the scratch races.
Timing your sprint is very difficult.
Don't be scared to go up the first bank as they ring the bell on the last lap as nobody else are likely to. If you do it's easy to even run that from the back of the pack and start your sprint on the down side... otherwise just hang in their and go for broke with the rest of them.

With the TTs usually you have to pick a gear.
The sprint can be lost at the start and with a poor gear choice. 2km though is a long sprint so I'd probably go for a heavier gear than a lower gear.
14 15 on the back may be too easy 11 12 maybe too hard...but you need a good smooth start that won't take too much out of your legs and then to maintain a 90%+ cadence till you get to the last lap...keep within the white paint line around the curves...you lose a lot of time if you drift out....be tight....
I always approached the TTs with numbers like this in mind... 90% effort start 98% effort middle 110% effort finish...

Good luck you'll love it.

Good luck!

1) Go out and practice a 2KM TT in a straightline. Most roadies choose too high (hard) gearing or too light (spinning). You need to keep your effort at full LAT through the entire 2.5min (or whatever you shoot for) The finish should be like the apex of a rocket shoot. By the time you cross, you should be so spent that you are actually decelerating slightly. Average cadence will likely be around 90-100 rpm.

2) Agreed with Edogawa on the scratch. But watch out carefully. If a small break forms off the front it' spossible they could get a lap on the field - then it's over. Not sure if I'd be hitting the banks except to get a look see or manouver for a better position in the sprint. But if you have fresh legs and alot of juice compared to the other riders - you might be able to pull off a stronger sprint that way and a little clearer line to the finish.

Here's a very good presentation on pursuit - a little different - but many things apply --- http://www.fixedgearfever.com/downloads/PASO.ppt

I'll be racing on the track this Sunday for the first time:

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2012/06/going-to-the-races.html

In summary, a 2 km TT and a 6 km scratch race (probably 8 starters) on a standard road bike with a rear disc for both races and aerobars for the TT.

Any advice on how to tackle the two events would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

Damn, I've been away from the track too long. My two cents:

Tt: start in a pretty heavy gearing to avoid all shifting until you sit down. Start in the drops and out of the saddle full effort until about the first half of the curve. Going full effort for the first 10-20 pedal circumventions makes a difference time wise, but afterwards ease up slightly, so you don't burn out. After the curve, get in Tt tuck and mode. Practicing standing starts helps. I don't know about the 90% thing, at the 1000m I'm always close to blacking out in the third lap. But for the 2000, it probably helps not to go full anaerobic until the last two laps. If you fall of the bike puking in your mouth, you did things right.

Scratch race:
Just treat it like a regular finish. When everybody goes crazy in the last lap, stay cool and behind somebody. Usually, things are decided in the last straight. Most ppl are insecure about this, but it's actually fine to get on the very inside and pass there!
The only time I would go up the banking is when you find yourself in a break or alone up the field that won't succeed. Let the field pass and dive in for a good spot. But no breaking please.

Damn, I've been away from the track too long. My two cents:

Tt: start in a pretty heavy gearing to avoid all shifting until you sit down. Start in the drops and out of the saddle full effort until about the first half of the curve.

Can't shift....have to stay in the gear you start with...

Hope he had a good day.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I learned a lot form you guys and from all the friendly people there today. I had really good fun and could appreciate the spirit of track racing.

I was reminded of first coming to Japan as I entered this strange world where I didn't know the rules or etiquette.

The racing was great. I feel really suited to it. I sneaked 1st in the TT . And got 3rd in the scratch and feel I could have won it really.

More waffling here:

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2012/06/yahiko-track-meeting.html

Today was an anual event but they have "open days" each month when you can try all disciplines including keirin if you are ever in the area.

Thanks again for the advice. And I'll remember, it's 90% > 98% > 110 % and not the other way around....

Andy

Great job, Andy! I snuck onto the Yahiko track q couple years ago during Yahiko TT early in the morning. It's a beautiful track! I wish they'd combine these events with the Yahiko TT!! I see you ran my trusty 'PROVA' - haha! I do have a track version for that, too! Next time!

You're hooked now. I'd prefer to do track 90% of the time as it suits me better than the road. Too bad they don't have more public tracks around the place.
If I was stinking rich, I'd make my own.

14 was a good gear selection too.

Great that you had fun, seems like a great event.
Makes me want to get back on track

Thanks again!

Tim, yes the wheel worked great. My next big goal is the 10 km Uchinada TT on June 24th. I'll use the trusted Prova for that too. I'd be interested in something deeper on the front (deeper than a 30mm Cosmic) if you have anything?!?!

Peter, yes the 14 was a good choice. I tried a few gears and asked the track guys too. The cadence was high but heavy enough to accelerate in the scratch race. Watching from the stand Andrew thought it looked heavy but it felt good on the track. I was actually allowed to change gears in the end but I didn't to keep with the spirit of it all.

Gunnar, yes it was a great event. There is another one coming up next month:

http://www.niigata-sports.net/cms/document/disp/287

A full day's entertainment for 1000 yen - good prizes too. They seem to run them every month, so if you ever make it over to Niigata….

Simon, cheers I'll check the links. Thanks for the heads up on the disc covers in the first place. They work really well!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom