What's new

TRACK PARTY at Izu Velodrome

Keirin riders ARE UCI pro's :D

Chris Hoy rides Keirin and other track disciplines as well.

Actually let me rephrase that Japanese riders that race the UCI Track Cycling World Championships – Men's keirin event are UCI Pro's. In fact there are a lot of westerners in Japan that are here to learn the dark arts of Keirin racing.

Last year the Japanese rider was disqualified for overtaking the pace starter as compared to Japanese races it was going to slow :eek:

"The Keirin" is just a track event. While 'Keirin Riders' generally refers to the Japanese Professional Gambling Licensed Riders - of which very few race in the sanctioned UCI events. There is a very active track scene in High School and University level - however it gets clouded by the NJS activities, unfortunately. I wish they'd just segregate the amateur and gambling racing altogether and quit trying to 'sanitize' the sport. These types of event are just publicity stunts in my opinion, to try to bolster the Keirin Gambling Industry in Japan which is falling heavily due to lack of interest.

Actually let me rephrase that Japanese riders that race the UCI Track Cycling World Championships – Men's keirin event are UCI Pro's. In fact there are a lot of westerners in Japan that are here to learn the dark arts of Keirin racing.

Last year the Japanese rider was disqualified for overtaking the pace starter as compared to Japanese races it was going to slow :eek:

Actually Keirin is a form of track racing... like Madison, Sprint ect ect thus why Keirin is an Oylmpic sport as well as in the UCI world championships.

Keirin is a track cycling event in which racing cyclists sprint for victory. Keirin originated in Japan in 1948; the first Olympic competitions in the sport occurred in 2000.

A keirin race is a mass-start race with 6-9[citation needed] sprinters riders and a paced start. Riders draw lots to determine starting positions and start as the pacer (usually a motorcycle, a derny, or a tandem bicycle) approaches. The riders are required to remain behind the pacer, which starts at the deliberately slow speed of about 25 km/h, gradually increasing in speed and leaves the track approximately 600–700 meters before the end, at a speed of about 50 km/h. The first cyclist to finish the race is the winner (sometimes finishing at 70 km/h). Keirin races are about 2 kilometers in length (eight laps on a 250m track, six laps on a 333m track, and five laps on a 400m track).

In competitions, this event is often conducted in several rounds in order to reduce the number of competitors to one "final" round of 6–9 riders. Eliminated cyclists may get the opportunity to try again in the repechages.

Actually this event is trying to bolster the following like Seven days of Ghent.... which is also heavilly gambled on along with pretty much all races in Europe.

Looks like another road project ala corrupt ministry spending project. Why build a world class indoor velodrome in Izu for chrissakes? They already have the Shunzenji JKA training center... waste of money. No one will go there.

EU races can be bet like any other sports book activity - but in Japan, only the JKA authorised events can be bet upon. It's just the same old story by JKA trying to draw more gamblers into the slowly dieing Keirin thang. To cross breed this with amateur racing is abominable.

Looks like another road project ala corrupt ministry spending project. Why build a world class indoor velodrome in Izu for chrissakes? They already have the Shunzenji JKA training center... waste of money. No one will go there.

Mate you do know this is part of the JKA training Center... its in the bloody carpark of Shuzenji CSC!!!! It was built to compete with Manchester and give the Japanese national teams and pros the same facilities as what they have in the rest of the world.... this is the first track of its kind in Japan and plenty of people already go there.

If you want to see a huge waste of money then read check this out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15116027

Why the hell build it when Manchester already is the fastest Velodrome in the world!

There ya go! Both governments featuring 'entitlement' projects ! What I meant by 'who will got there' is not the riders - but the fans! CSC must be one of the worst located 'public velodromes' on the planet! Planes, Trains and Automobiles (Buses) required. Virtually nothing open after 5pm - and the bus in fact stops running. Out in the boonies. On and on. Nothing in town, yadda yadda ... I took my family out there for the day and was heavily chastised - will never happen again - even if the world championships are held there. For this type of facility it needs to be located within 30min max of major population center , easily accessed and cheap to get there (and back). Whatever happened to the Velodrome for the Olympics? And whatabout a scaled down version that could be used as multipurpose park and sponsored by real brands and NOT the Japanese Gambling Commission! hello - Burton? Redbull? Nike? Cannondale? etc ...

Im beginning to think you just love to moan Tim.:D

Whatever happened to the Velodrome for the Olympics?
It was in Hachioji. Not exactly central but certainly more convenient than Shuzenji! The velodrome was only intended to be a temporary structure, and after the Olympiad it was torn down to make way for apartments and a park, (Ryonan-koen, along the side of which runs the Minami-asagawa cycle path leading out to Takao).

Im beginning to think you just love to moan Tim.:D
"beginning"?!!?

I'm an inveterate moaner, James - never satisfied with status quo and vanguard of the rabble rouser. Though, believe it or not, I have softened tremendously over the years and am much more tolerant and considerate of other's opinions . A lively debate spurs one's mind to reach farther corners and ideas less traveled.

It was in Hachioji. Not exactly central but certainly more convenient than Shuzenji! The velodrome was only intended to be a temporary structure, and after the Olympiad it was torn down to make way for apartments and a park, (Ryonan-koen, along the side of which runs the Minami-asagawa cycle path leading out to Takao).

"beginning"?!!?

Still love ya Tim.... and I love reading the fixie rants..... just worried you might keel over on oneof our rides :eek:

I'd be keeling over happy, though, and not at a table stuffing one more thin mint!

Still love ya Tim.... and I love reading the fixie rants..... just worried you might keel over on oneof our rides :eek:

Didn't the JKA fund (bribe) the Olympic cycling to keep keirin in the Olympics a few years back? $3million!:eek:

Actually it's kind of the other way around - the Olympic Cycling Committee demanded a graft of $3m in order to 'facilitate' the new sport for 3yrs - I guess you could call that a bribe, though. Who was pushing who? Both UCI and JKA are nefarious organizations with corrupt tentacles that reach anywhere they choose. Would anyone think otherwise of Verbruggen?

Didn't the JKA fund (bribe) the Olympic cycling to keep keirin in the Olympics a few years back? $3million!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom