What's new

Ride Touring Tama with Mr. Tama

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Heading down to Tama area for a guided tour led by our esteemed local expert, the none other than... Grant T!!!

Heres the map! 90km of urban hill climbing.... We won't be going too hard but well, there will be some effort applied to the pedals.

Heres the map generously donated by Mr. Grant T himself...

Meeting time at the start conbini is 7:30am

As well as the urban stuff, the route takes us through a decent number of country lanes, one golf course, and 20 separate Strava climbing segments. Weather looks relatively warm today and tonight too so there should be very little frost on the ground.

Meeting point conbini is the Lawson here.

Last edited:
I guess the ride is Saturday? Was going to ride Sunday. I'll see if I can re-arrange things.

That looks awesome, except for...
Meeting time at the start conbini is 7:30am
I may follow in your wake by an hour or three.

Well, that depends on whether you are waking up early to pick corns on your toes or waking up early to be a hard man river slayer doesn't it.

Irrelevant of that, I believe I said HTFU not TTFU.

Waking up early isnt a sign of being tough. It's a sign of being old.

Last edited:
Looks perfect, definitely gonna be in!
My buddy just started jobbing at y's fuchuu, so will head there once returned to the river to say hi.

Btw, if you think Tamagawa side is better than Arakawa, show your true allegiance and like this post.

Last edited:
Interesting edit there after I liked this post... Don't make me unlike it!!! Ha ha ha!
I may join you at Ys as I need some new winter wear....

Looks perfect, definitely gonna be in!
My buddy just started jobbing at y's fuchuu, so will head there once returned to the river to say hi.

Btw, if you think Tamagawa side is better than Arakawa, show your true allegiance and like this post.

Ok. I should be able to go tomorrow. Kid is sick so I told the wife to text me when she wakes up if she wants me home. So I'll be able to play for a while anyway worst case... Although, the worst case actually is if I don't wake up and get my ass out of bed as has been the case the last 3 mornings. Shame, shame. See you there!

Just broke my chain between ftktamagawa and noborito. Without tools I'm stranded, so please start without me

Had a great time riding some nearby hills with theBlob and wexford, just a shame Gunjira couldn't make it. I ended up with 107 km of riding and around 1,200 metres elevation (a figure that will be corroborated by theBlob's own Strava activity).

I woke to find my front brake sticking a bit. Pressed for time I quickly removed it, sprayed off the gunk with degreaser, lightly oiled all rubbing parts, and in the process finally figured out how to centre my cheap + lightweight but tricksy planet-x CNC brakes. Nice, I thought, as I realised I would now be late for to the start of the ride I am also leading.

Arriving at the wrong bridge, then at the right bridge a full 30 minutes late I met up with theBlob and wexford and we set off. My right knee was hurting a little from excessive running, and none of us were really in tip top shape, so we each agreed to take it easy. Reaching our first climb, Yomiuri Land, theBlob rocketed up at over 400 watts to a very respectable 2:20, wexford put in a strong one for PR, and I spun madly at a pace that was not quite comfortable. So, just your usual social ride.

Things continued as they started, with wexford and theBlob recording PRs and top 10 placings as we wound our way socially through the urban hills of Tama.

Ha ha ha! Things got really social when we got to the TT loop that is used by gangs of hardcore types. The hammer went down and the social went way up, two laps saw us fairly well roasted. So we decided to wrap it up by heading to the end of onekan rd through the tunnel then turning back and heading for home.
Needless to say we decided to take it easy from there. Well, that was until we saw other cyclists and were forced to turn it into another TT style hammer fest.

It was a very nice ride seeing a few new roads in the area. So thanks to John for mapping and leading us for the laughs.

Good to keep things social every once in a while:tup

I'd love to make my way out there one day. I'll make sure to steal that route or snag @GrantT when I do.

I'm bolloxed. Was great to meet @theBlob finally and of course always happy to have @GrantT leading us with amazing accuracy around an impossible route of side lanes with one hill after another beating you up. I was in trouble from the start really. On Yomuriland, the lads were very enthusiastic in their approach and my strong fade at the top didn't even stop me from taking 9 seconds of my previous best. The wife never called so I was free to hold up the back on the up hills but it was a rare one where I could hang on at all. I was totally empty on the way home but the wind blew me back so that worked out well in the end. Gotta train harder!

Back
Top Bottom