What's new

Touring loop from Tokyo

gwilym

Warming-Up
Jan 6, 2024
So I asked a while back about Tokyo to Kyoto, thread link:

But now I'm thinking something more like Ride from Tokyo up the Edo River to the Tone River and up there to Gunma for a few days looking around then riding across to Nagano and then down to Mt Fugi and back into Tokyo. We'd be starting about the 10th April and have around 9 days.

Am I mad thinking that is a good, quiet, historically interesting route?

Many thanks for any information.

I only took the Edo river once; the experience was so dull that I never wanted to repeat it. The Tone is better, but still of course flat. You may expect that the Tone riverside path will get more interesting as it leaves Tokyo; but from Tamamura onwards it mostly takes you through suburbia.

Bump!

Come on, peeps; give Gwilym some ideas.

(Why don't I do so? Because almost all of my riding is in day trips. I have been around Nagano-ken, but it was a long time ago and although I had a good time I really can't make a general recommendation for young teenagers. Also, Nagano-ken requires careful planning, if you don't want to arrive at the entrance to a tunnel and discover there that you have a choice between (A) breaking the law and endangering your lives by going through the tunnel, and (B) making a mountainous 30 km detour. That said, Nagano-ken probably does have routes that would be appropriate and attractive.)

Reactions: PAK
Arrive Tokyo and spending a few days soaking up the Big Mikan. When the family has had its fill, take the ferry from Takeshiba Pier to Tokushima, Shikoku. Follow the blue line counterclockwise around the coast to Imabari. Cross over the Shimanami Kaido to Onomichi. Turn right going Kurashiki,Okayama and end at Himeji castle. Take the train to Kyoto.

But now I'm thinking something more like Ride from Tokyo up the Edo River to the Tone River and up there to Gunma for a few days looking around then riding across to Nagano and then down to Mt Fugi and back into Tokyo. We'd be starting about the 10th April and have around 9 days.

I cycle up the Edogawa every week.
The three places of note are the original Kikkoman soy sauce factory in Noda, the underground water tank facility (largest in the world) in Kasukabe and the castle at the meeting of the Edo and Tone rivers in Sekiyado. A nice ride. You could also stop off at the shrine in Shibamata along the way and the Tora-san museum next to it.

Reactions: PAK

kia ora mate,

Why not consider circumnavigating Izu Peninsular. The cherry blossoms will be nice.
I am sure that there will be some people here either saying yay or nay to this idea, as I haven't done this myself, you should believe them.

I think your idea is a pretty solid. As @microcord said, the rivers are dead boring, but once you get into the mountains it's all quite lovely (assuming you enjoy riding in the mountains). To avoid some of the boring Tone riding I might veer off the Tone river around Koga (following the Watarase River cycling road), then heading into the mountains around Ashikaga, and maybe continuing north to Nikko.

I think your idea is a pretty solid. As @microcord said, the rivers are dead boring, but once you get into the mountains it's all quite lovely (assuming you enjoy riding in the mountains). To avoid some of the boring Tone riding I might veer off the Tone river around Koga (following the Watarase River cycling road), then heading into the mountains around Ashikaga, and maybe continuing north to Nikko.
Not the OP but thanks for the tip on Watarase. I have a free weekend next month as my wife and kids are away so I was looking for somewhere for an overnight trip so I might do Edogawa-Tone-Watarase and stay somewhere near Koga.

Back
Top Bottom