What's new

Tour suggestions, 2 1/2 wks in Japan?

Timothy

Warming-Up
Feb 6, 2013
Hello; I'll be arriving from Portland, Oregon (United States) into Tokyo next month on March 18th and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a bicycle tour ride for the 2 1/2 weeks (17 days) that I'll be in Japan. I've ridden numerous tours, at the most averaging 100 miles/150 kilometers a day yet I'd prefer to see more sights and bicycle a little less this time. Presently, I'm not too sure what routes are best for such a bicycle tour, though would appreciate any suggestions!
Thank you
Tim

Welcome Tim, are you intending on camping or staying in accommodation?
In March I would look at following the coast down South. Seeing you are from the PNW You'll be used to that. Mountain passes north will all be touch and go, southwards they'll be fine. What do you want to see?

Thank you Kiwisimon; I enjoy traditional culture, country and farm areas mostly with an occasional ride into/through a larger city or coastal areas. Camping would be best, as a means to save some money along the way though isn't absolutely necessary. I would agree, going south does seem best in order to ensure the roads are open. Thank you again for your advice, it is appreciated. And thank you jdd for the link as well!
Tim

Hey Timothy, I'm a Portland, Or. native living in Fukuoka. We have a small cycling club with members spread out all over the northern part of Kyushu. Let us know if you decide to come as far south as Kyushu and we can set you up with some free places to stay, riding buddies, and route information. You can contact us through this link www.kyushucyclingclub.com/contact.html and of course check back here for more information. https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=4223

Really interested in this post and the responses as I'm planning to do something similar arriving about a week later than Timothy.

Got an outline for the first bit of my planned tour. From Tokyo I plan to head to the Izu Peninsular for a few days then circuit round Fuji to the five lakes.

From there I'm not sure what to do next.

One thought was to head towards Ueda then start following the Nihon Romantic Highway eventually to Nikko. But I'm not sure whether the last pass between Numamta and Chuzenji is likely to be open in late March / early April - any intelligence? Also wonder whether the traffic might be terrible? (I do most of my riding in and around London so my tolerance is reasonably high.)

Another possibility is to head north through Matsumoto and Hakuba eventually to the coast then towards the Noto Peninsular.

Otherwise guess I might but my bike on a train and go to Shizuoka for a few days.

Any advice on these ideas appreciated or alternative suggestions.

Lastly kiwisimon can you be more specific about what "touch and go means" for the mountains? Does this mean the passes still will be closed at the end of March? Or that the weather could be terrible?

Thanks for the help

Will

Lastly kiwisimon can you be more specific about what "touch and go means" for the mountains? Does this mean the passes still will be closed at the end of March? Or that the weather could be terrible?

Thanks for the help

Will

Up here in Northern Honshu most roads are clear of snow, but the lesser used passes wont be until mid April, but you probably wont come this far North. Aomori here.
Weather is generally good, but who knows? I like the Izu peninsular and Fuji lakes idea. But it can still get cold up there, so be prepared. Coast will be clear and you'll see a fair share of blossoms, probably. Depends on the weaher at that time but if not Cherry then plenty of plum around. Here are the cherry blossom times for last year and the year before.
http://桜.jp/

Up here in Northern Honshu most roads are clear of snow, but the lesser used passes wont be until mid April, but you probably wont come this far North. Aomori here.

Would love to make it up there on a bike - spent two months skiing on Hokkaido last year then pottered back down to Tokyo by train over a few days before flying home. Lots of inviting looking roads and space in northern Tohoku. Must be beautiful riding in the summer. Sadly not gonna happen this trip.

Would love to make it up there on a bike - spent two months skiing on Hokkaido last year then pottered back down to Tokyo by train over a few days before flying home. Lots of inviting looking roads and space in northern Tohoku. Must be beautiful riding in the summer. Sadly not gonna happen this trip.

Search for Tohoku and you'll read about Thomas White Giant and Kori's travels.
It is nice. Fewer cars and lights and great people and food.

Back
Top Bottom