What's new

Tour of Sufferlandria

My trainer didn't arrive until this already started, so I'm just in it for the fun pain. I'm relatively new to cycling, and this is my first time learning about power, FTP, etc. I hope I set everything up right and my FTP after Rubber Glove is semi-accurate. I'm impressed with this Virtual Power thingy. It feels like I've got a power meter installed. How does it do that? I leave my resistance dial at 2, and use the gears to vary my resistance. The instant I shift and and pedal harder the power number goes up, but my cadence and HR haven't really changed that instant. I guess it's calculating power instantaneously based just on the increased speed from ANT+ sensor and correlating that to the known trainer resistance profile and my personal info. Really cool stuff.

I only have the 3 free Sufferfest videos from Strava Premium, so the rest I'll do without video and see if I can bear it.

Rubber Glove

Just out of interest, for those of you who use trainers in an apartment, how do you get around the noise/vibrations? I'm interested in getting one but not sure the neighbours will be too chuffed about it!

I bought the Minoura B-60-R. Several online reviews noted the noise was lower than they expected. I have no reference point since this is my first time on any turbo trainer. I will note that there's this slightly high pitch whine with this model. It had me concerned enough I shut my window. I live in a stand-alone house so there's still distance to the neighbors compared to apartments/mansions. I'm going to play around with roller tension and check nuts and bolts around the area to see if I can quiet it down, but it's likely coming from the flywheel itself which I can't do much about.

I have the same trainer as Robert and mine is not quiet enough for my wife to sit on the same floor as me and watch TV let alone the same room. I have a trainer specific tire on my wheel, too. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. Everything is as tight as it can be and there is a mat there for the vibrations. I do my stints with earphones in so the noise is not an issue for me.

I am going to ride with a decibel app running tomorrow and see what the numbers say.

@Musashi13 : Argh blimey. Let me know what sort of reading you get! Actual noise might not be a problem, as our place is new and well soundproofed, but the vibrations might be an issue for those living downstairs from us.

I might have to borrow one and see how it goes. If no complaints about the noise appear on the lobby noticeboard after a week of using it, then I'll consider it safe to buy one!

It's set up as per instructions and my house is only six years old so I haven't disregarded Minoura's guidelines nor do I live in a rickety mess. It is possible our wives have differing noise thresholds so I'll get some readings both in my office and my son's cork floor matted bedroom, which I sometimes use.

Overall Progress

Stage 7
Current Stage
Registered Riders
Peloton Riders
Dropped Riders

Stage 7a done.

Angels
Off for a massage before 7b.

sufferfest_logo.jpg

From here on in this is your life. A life of suffering, a life if endless pain and fear of more pain. This last week was not an induction nor a lesson but a way of life that you either adhere to or fail and die away from.
The time has come to disappoint or not. You are the master of your own suffering.

From here on in this is your life. A life of suffering, a life if endless pain and fear of more pain. This last week was not an induction nor a lesson but a way of life that you either adhere to or fail and die away from.
The time has come to disappoint or not. You are the master of your own suffering.
Rapha UK are hiring for a junior copywriter. You should put in an application!

That's me done!

Stage 9 Violator

Lots of sweat and snot was poured onto the ground as I hurt myself everyday. The guns are looking real and I am back to climbing weight.
I felt I was reaching the target power on those sprints today but it would seem I am devoid of fast twitch muscle fiber as the numbers clearly show I was quite a way off. Andre, Mark, and Marcel can sleep easy tonight. So can I.

Time for some post ride recovery ale.

harry-and-hermione-high-5.gif

Enjoying too much I fear.

It's good to be done. Get yours finished and know you've done something many were too scared to try or too clever to start.

Those fast hard reps at the end were too much for me. The rest was tough, too, but the end took everything I had left and made me feel like a toddler on a tricycle.

Good work on finishing, many didn't.

This looks kind of fun. Now I need a week of snow so I have an excuse to use my trainer without my wife complaining about the noise.

Back
Top Bottom