What's new

Tour of Sufferlandria

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
When: January 25th - February 2nd
Where: Your own private Sufferland via Traineroad. Or, Astuto Continental SufferZone.
Time: TR has posted the stage windows. I'll come up with slots that make sense accordingly. Obviously you can do this at home, anytime , but it's more fun (and motivating) watching the person next to you suffer even more.

Link - http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/533-gs-astuto

This is my first go at setting this up, so expect some glitches - but mainly:

1) I'll provide at least 3 and hopefully a few more, PowerTap equipped trainers.
2) I also have a few bikes, so if you can't bring you own, you can use one of ours. Size from 50-56
3) We have a bigscreen TV and projector system. I'll see how the TR system works - maybe show the SL video and then each rider logs into their own TR session.
4) So - you will need some kind of laptop to access the TR. I have a couple, so, I'll have those available. We have good Wi-Fi from 3 different sources , so connectivity should not be an issue.

I'll be doing this from home but might make it in for one or two depending on my schedule...and the level of suffering I can endure in polite company.

With my PowerCal now calibrated and showing matching power readings to the trainerroad virtual power numbers I am confident I am doing what it says on the screen. Thanks for the time you took with me yesterday, @GSAstuto

Having done a few of the Sufferfest sessions before I know what I'm in for but back-to-back for over a week is a daunting task.

Not exactly sure what I am looking at, but I think your FTP is set too low. Holding 283W for 20min would most likely indicate an FTP higher than 245W.

One of the reasons I was a bit confused is that the segment named "VO2 Max 1" is a 20min segment at 25W higher than FTP. I think the longest someone could hold out in the "VO2 Max" zone would only be 5-7 minutes.

I would expect a 20minute effort to not be more than 5-10% above FTP but the 283W is 15% above FTP.

That FTP was calculated weeks ago. Doing these tests allows me to increase my FTP depending on how I do. The new recommendation was 269.

That is much more realistic. In fact, 5% less than your 20 minute effort. This corresponds with the method I would use to determine FTP.

Anyway, good job on the effort.

Stage One is your FTP test.

How is this going? Totally dropped off my radar until today. Tim are you hosting sessions?

Stage 2 done.

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

Duration
1:56:00

TSS

IF

Zones
VO2Max, Anaerobic

Description
Featuring four major climbs over the course of two hours, it's the story of your quest to capture the Giro d'Italia's Most Aggressive Rider award. With an engrossing story, stunning footage, a killer indie/electronic soundtrack and more attacks than you can shake a shredded chamois at, we've been told by our pre-testers that this is their new favourite Sufferfest video.

I got a video free when I bought my trainer and I opted for this one. Not sure how it would be without the video and the story within. Back in December I did this at FTP 225 and it killed me, now today at FTP 269 and I get the same feeling but I know there is no way I'd have been able to do 269 a month and a half ago.

Revolver tomorrow:(

Back in December I did this at FTP 225 and it killed me, now today at FTP 269 and I get the same feeling

tumblr_ltlud736ou1qf97luo1_5004.jpg

Problem is, I upped the resistance level so I ain't even going faster and the damned thing takes as long as it takes so I can't get it done quicker either. All I have is elevated power numbers...but that'll translate into other things on the road...I hope.

You bastards. Stuck at work all day - I need to catch up on these tomorrow am... By the way, I got 2 new PowerBeam Pro versions we can use side by side. That actually varies the load according to the route -- insane. With the TrainerRoad pairing function - we can at least ride 2 at the same race together.

Two up linked "power" trainers is crazy fun.... I did a 75km session in Italy today with two other riders over the internet!

@FE - totally agree - this is really fun! Why I'm so pissed the Elite folks don't get the RITMO licensed here! grrrr...

Tim, (Ritmo) is actually the name of the rocker system they use on some of the stationary trainers to allow you to rock the bike when climbing. :D

In regards to the Wireless and Ant+ models not being available in Japan - its because to get them licensed (pass the wireless communication device stuff) it is not profitable for them, same as TACX. The top end models sell so few that they would actually lose money doing it and as it's not illegal to import products that have not passed Japanese certification for personal use, (I asked customs before importing both my Tanita Ant+ scales and the ELITE REAL) it makes more sense for them to allow customers to import them through online stores and offer free shipping.

The other issue that you touched on is the service - they would need to basically recreate the software just for the Japanese market and then have local support - we saw how that turned out with Power Tap and the +100% BS tax compared to US prices.

Overall Progress

Stage 4
Current Stage
Registered Riders
Peloton Riders
Dropped Riders

Looks like some people have found they can't go on already:cool:

Stage 3 done.

Revolver

Hard slog after a day out and about earning a crust.

These Sufferfest workouts don't need varied resistance, Tim. For the workouts FarEast does and the Minoura LiveRide it is needed, does it do anything with trainerroad? I thought they were designed for you to change gears and vary your cadence to get the required power output.

I thought they were designed for you to change gears and vary your cadence to get the required power output.

That is correct, the sufferfest videos were created for spinning classes and as you point out it's all about the cadence and gear ratios.

Back
Top Bottom