Tour of Japan Tokyo Stage "Citizen's Road Race"

Phil

Maximum Pace
Sep 1, 2007
Race: 12th Tour of Japan Tokyo Stage "Citizen's Road Race"
Date: May 25th (Sunday)
Place: Oi (大井) Docks Area, near Shinagawa
Cost: 6000 yen, single entry only.

21 km/35 km races on a 7 km circuit in the docklands of Oi. This is a lot closer than most races to many TCCers' home turf, so a chance to get that first criterium race in? Various classes based on JCRC rankings, including a beginners' category.

Tour of Japan page is here:

http://tour-du-japon.com/

Click on the blue box part down the page on the right-hand side for a PDF file with the details of the event.

To request an application form, use this email form (remember to include your address):

http://tour-du-japon.com/Default.aspx?tabid=64&language=en-US

I sent in my request Tuesday evening and the form came in this morning (Thursday).

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to do this yet. Bit pricey for a single race, but it would be cool to join in the Tour of Japan festivities...

This is a race I want revenge in. 3 years ago I was sitting pretty on the last lap with about 4kms to go, my heart rate was low and I thought...this is easy.... when some fool to my left crashed forcing me out onto the right side where I connected with a traffic cone and cartwheeled a few times taking skin off every appendage...(see accidents thread for photos).

I like this course and it owes me...I will definitely sign up for this one....

Ah, was wondering if you'd done it. I'm assuming it's flat (being down by the docks and all) and not very technical... If so, would be a very nice change from Shimofusa.

Very flat. A big hairpin turn at about the 200m mark.(stretches out a lot here and you don't want to be at the back-can split the pack in half here.).
Lots of little corners around the back of the course.
Nice long straight for the sprint. Positioning and timing at the last corner crucial then pure power...

This sounds like one for me... I would like to have a go at this.

will request the form!

ash

I didn't get my application in but will be going to watch at least.
Any of you get an application in?
There is actually a photo of me with my dog on the application form from last year....Just in front of me in the pic is the Nippo Meitan team who I will be cheering for in the pro race at lunch time.

Dithered for a bit and then decided not to do it. Signed up for the Gran Fondo at the end of June and just coming off 3 races in April (well, 8 races over 3 events, to be precise), so decided to take May off. Might ride down to watch the action though... Would be fun to soak up the atmosphere without worrying about your own race :)

Our club's Sunday training next week is to ride in to watch from Misato.
http://www.toj.co.jp/toj12/stage/07_tokyo.php

We have 3 guys racing then will watch the final leg of the pro race and ride home...(probably stop for lunch somewhere).

I saw Taro and Shinobu there last year...

If you get a chance you should go...even ride the course before the race starts...

Have to see how work goes, but I might try and head downtown for this.

Stage 1:

http://www.toj.co.jp/toj12/records/

1 55 DEMPSTER Zakkari AUS SAI AUS 3:05:46 0:00:00
2 112 NISHITANI Taiji JPN AIS JPN 3:05:50 0:00:04
3 94 OKAZAKI Kazuya JPN EQA JPN 3:05:51 0:00:05
4 33 MANABE Kazuyuki JPN NEP SMR 3:05:51 0:00:05
5 66 STAUDER Benjamin GER STE SUI 3:05:52 0:00:06
6 93 SHIMIZU Miyataka JPN EQA JPN 3:05:53 0:00:07
7 92 FUKUSHIMA Koji JPN EQA JPN 3:05:54 0:00:08
8 31 INOUE Kazuo JPN NEP SMR 3:05:54 0:00:08
9 95 FUKUSHIMA Shinichi JPN EQA JPN 3:05:55 0:00:09
10 96 MIYAZAWA Takashi JPN EQA JPN 3:05:56 0:00:10

Go Koji............

TEAMS http://www.toj.co.jp/toj12/team/

:bike:

Will be there... Just to watch!

Hey Peter,
Any idea what time you and the "Semas" crew will be riding through town?
And on on what road?

Nobu & I are also planning to ride down there to check out the festivities. If we can, by some chance, manage to cross paths that'd be great!:)

>Phil: If you're also planning to ride through from Chiba, I'd be happy to give you a "tour of Tokyo"!:cool:

Is anyone else planning to come out and see it?
Hope to hear from you!
Travis

Our club's Sunday training next week is to ride in to watch from Misato.
http://www.toj.co.jp/toj12/stage/07_tokyo.php

We have 3 guys racing then will watch the final leg of the pro race and ride home...(probably stop for lunch somewhere).

I saw Taro and Shinobu there last year...

If you get a chance you should go...even ride the course before the race starts...

We will leave from our normal training route 7 or 7:30 a.m on the Edo river. Nagareyama bashi near Misato station under the Musashino train line bridge.

Not sure of the course yet but will probably go at least to Tora san's and either turn right towards Tokyo or continue down the river to Kasai then follow the bike paths along Tokyo Bay till we get to Oi.

One guy who lives near you knows the route very well but not sure if he will be our guide.
I'll know more by Friday (possibly).

>Phil: If you're also planning to ride through from Chiba, I'd be happy to give you a "tour of Tokyo"!:cool:

That sounds excellent! Maybe meet up somewhere near your place? Will send PM.

Pete, hopefully we can hook up with you down at the race, at least for a bit?

The ride to Oi-futo...

>Peter: Coming from your way will take about 30-mins.
If you guys are only coming down as far as Kanamachi, you'll probably turn right onto Rte.6 (Mito-kaido).
If you come down as far as "Tora-san"s place (Shibamata), you'd be better off going all the way down to Kuramaebashi-dori (Rte.14, as it crosses the river from Chiba).
It's your guys' ride, and I don't want to assume to take over. However, I could give directions to at least Shinagawa (along Rte.15) from where your regulars should take the lead and show us all the best places to park our bikes.
Phil has also mentioned about coming along, and I may need to break off, and go pick him up somewhere along Kuramaebashi.

>Phil: I got your PM, and will do what I can to see everyone together.
I don't know what Peter's troupe are doing, so it may be more congenial for the 3 of us (you, me & Nobu) to meet somewhere near Hirai (along Kuramaebashi-dori), ride in from there, and perhaps meet up with Peter & the Semas guys along the way.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing you both, and once everything is sorted out, we can arrange meeting times/places, eh!
Hope that's OK!
Travis

There will probably be a place in the parking area to leave the bikes...(for the amateurs & supporters in the morning. We usually have the cars all together from our Makuhari club as well and a few tents. I'll bring a big cable lock as well that can handle 3 or 4 bikes.

From Tora san's I think there are some back roads to a canal that leads to Arakawa...then from there we may be on to some roads that aren't too busy...however I still have no real idea on the route. I did it once to Ariake...and it seemed very easy at the time.

At the race....

The finish line area for the main race has a little hill/wall on the corner where the park is that is a good vantage point to stand. There will be a large TV screen on a truck oopposite so you can see the whole race as well, not just as they zoom past. There is one konbini to get food from but it may be a good idea to stock up 3 or 5 km before you arrive somewhere else.

Bring sun cream as well it is usually a very hot and sunny day...no where to get out of the sun much.

Equipe Asada!!

こんばんは。今年は伊豆大島渡航のため、toj観戦は断念しました。
おいらの一押しは、「エキップアサダ梅丹gdr」です。特に新城選手は今最も
熱い選手です。
もし、見かけましたら応援お願いします(おいら、エキップアサダのファンクラブ会員よ)。

Forecast is for rain. Our guys will decide at 3pm Saturday whether to disband...
If the rain is hard, I'll drive in.
If it looks like clearing up from the afternoon, I'll ride in.

Can't make it because of...

...work. Man, if I didn't need the money to buy bike bits, I honestly wouldn't bother :)

Enjoy the race guys. :bike:

Our club are not riding in so I may drive in if it's raining.
If the rain is heavy, I may just stay in bed. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom