What's new

Official Ride Tour d'Okutamako (9th TCC Tour)

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
Dear members,

in case anyone is interested in taking one-day rides during the お正月 season, please post to this thread.

I'll be on my saddle on Jan 2., perhaps 3, and 4. Possible destinations are Okutama and Hakone (need some hill climb training). Anyhow, suggestions are welcome.

I have already talked to Sora-san, we might meet up on Jan. 7 or 8 for an unofficial run.

Cheers and a Happy New Year to everyone! :)

Update:

Due to the number of members wishing to participate the tour has been upgraded to an official tour, the Tour d'Okutamako (9th TCC Tour).

Jan 2

My wife`s relatives are holding a お正月 meeting at a hotel on the Miura hanto; I`ll bike there from Yokohama.:bike:

Okutama

Hey guys, the 7th is good for me too.
So far, Thomas, Sora, Shay, Travis.
Anymore people want to come with us?
Yoroshiku! T

I think we are down for a run on the 7th. We are new, though, but we will try to keep up =)

We have been on vacation, so it's time to jump back on it! :bike:

Happy New Year to all!

Did someone mention Okutama? Suffering up some unbearable hill for hours?:eek:

Of course, I am in.

What route are we thinking of taking here? I suggest from musashiichikaiichi stn but i will leave it up to a majority decision, anything is ok for me.

I need to get back in the saddle an blow off some of Santa's generosity...:bike:

ash

PS If we are planning to go to the top of the hill above lake okutama, could someone please check the road is open? I hear they close it this season sometimes.

One more suggestion. If people would like, my place in Kamishakujii is just off Omekaido so it might be a good place to have some dinner on the way back.

If the consensus is that this is a good idea, I will book a table at a nice cheap izakaya just next to kamishakujii station (siebu shinjuku sen about 12 mins to takadanobaba in case people want to take the train afterwards).

let me know folks!

Ash

I'm in too...me and Shay will take the 411 route from Fussa to Ome to Okutama. Are you guys going all the way to the lake?

Ken, we are not sure about the destination yet, but if we go to Okutama I reckon we'll go all the way up to the lake.

Ash, having dinner on the way home sounds like an excellent idea! :)

I don't think the Okutama route is "sufficiently unbearable". At least not after having climbed Ashinoko and Fuji-san. ;)

I don't think the Okutama route is "sufficiently unbearable". At least not after having climbed Ashinoko and Fuji-san. ;)

Climbing to Ashinoko from Tokyo must have indeed been a challenge! I found going down hill with all the tight turns worked the upper body (resisting G-forces from decelerating into turns); I can imagine the long climb up hill!:eek:uch:

Hi all

How about this place for lunch and an onsen?

http://www.okutamas.co.jp/moegi/index_mo.html

It is called moegi no yu, just near Okutama station. It has nice baths with a great view and also BEER :D (TCC staple food group). The menu is attached the page, looks pretty reasonable. The place is especially for day trippers. Let me know what you think. The place is

Where are we all going to meet? Ome?

I am going to probably ride up there on omekaido from my place in shakujii, so if anyone wants to hook up with me let me know.

Hi all

How about this place for lunch and an onsen?

http://www.okutamas.co.jp/moegi/index_mo.html

Where are we all going to meet? Ome?

I am going to probably ride up there on omekaido from my place in shakujii, so if anyone wants to hook up with me let me know.

The place looks fine, Ash. Probably it's easiest for you, Sora-san, Travis and I to meet somewhere along Ome Kaido and continue to Ome where we could join Shay and Ken. I suggest not later than 10am. Anyhow, I am going to meet up with Sora-san tonight, talk to you later! :)

hi

Don't worry Ken, just saw the weather report on Mx tv , says no rain on sunday:) , might get some on sat though.

Thomas, I suggest I make a booking at the onsen for 1.30 and we leave around 3.30. The ride to Kamishakujii from Okutama probably will take at least 2 hours or so, that puts us at having dinner around say 6pm. (if we are later though it is no problem) I will make a booking at both the onsen for lunch and the izakaya for dinner once I know fairly definite numbers. I am still waiting on replies from a couple of friends of mine that might join us.

So I think we need to meet up reasonably early to get to Okutama Lake and back to the onsen. Certainly no later than 10, though 9 might be better. (this is presuming the meeting place is Ome).

looking forward to ROLLING. First roll of the year!

Ash

PS Thomas and Sora, let me know if you are rolling along Omekaido on the way there and I will join you.

Okutama choices

The course Ashwarren is talking about:
I've ridden this one about 6 times, and it is great! I know a few others of you said you have done it too, Ken, Shay, Thomas... But for one's who've never been there, here are the stats:
Ash was saying to leave from "Musashi-Itsuka-ichi (武蔵五日市)", but for the military guys, I think Haijima would be a better place to hook up. From there, ride straight out on Rte.7, which then becomes Rte.33 after Musashi-Itsukaichi.
Then it's about 17km to the start of the climb. From there, it's 15km to the top (not 18km, Ash - It only feels like 18;) ) Elevation, 1,164m - The highest road in Tokyo. Followed by 12km down to the lake - which I can imagine would be pretty cold by now - and then all the way back down on Rte.411.
The only problems are, as Ashwarren has mentioned, the road (Rte.206 - Okutama-Shuyu-doro - 奥多摩周遊道路) does get closed over the winter. Someone will need to check on that (please, Sora!).
And, as Ken has said, the weather!
If the road is closed, then I suppose the ride will just be straight up Rte.411 to the lake (through about 16 uphill tunnels), and straight back down again. If that's how it plays out, well I guess that will have to do.
Let's see how the weather looks on Saturday, and if we can find out about Rte.206.
To Alcyone, if you don't have a bike bag, so you can catch the train, you should get one, or you will be looking at a 220km (130mile) round trip from Kashiwa.
Weather permitting, I hope to see you all on Sunday. T

Travis, thanks for the post and the good thumbnails. I agree the roll from Musashiichikaiichi (or haijima) would be best, would mean an early start though if you want to climb the hill and do the onsen too. It is better than having to go through all the tunnels between okutama lake and Okutama twice though, as you said. Probably mean leaving haijima around 9 or so. Anyway, lets get some consensus on this. Which way does everyone want to go (dependent on weather the mountain road is open of course!)?? Please post your preference! In favour of the ome route is there are plenty of nice places to stop and see and eat etc, and it is more direct. In favour of the mountain route is it is a much more challenging climb and you don't have to go through all the tunnels twice.

If we have a tied vote, i suggest Sora/Thomas makes the decision.

Ash

Tour d'Okutamako

Ash, Travis, in case the road is free of snow, we should take the Haijima route. And guys, whatever route we will take, we will upgrade this tour to an official TCC Tour: the 9th TCC "Tour d'Okutamako".

:)

Haijima Route? Or Ome-kaido?

Hey Thomas,
I really would love to do this course again, but... we really do need to check whether the road is open or not! It would be a shame to ride out there to find that the road is closed - Soraさん、お願いだから、調べてちょうだい!
In the case that the road is open, Thomas, I suppose that you're planning to ride out there from this way. What time will you be leaving? - I'll meet you at the same corner in Kameido!
Alcyone, Ashwarren, Shay, Ken, and to any others who will need to take the train out there (if necessary), how about 10:00-10:30 at Haijima Station? (Thomas, we'll have to start riding from Kameido at 7:00.)
As an "official" route, I usually wouldn't think about it until at least March, but if we can make it while the road is still open, LET'S DO IT!
Everybody, REMEMBER! Just in case; Take your bike-bags, and really warm winter-gear!
Can't wait! T

Hi all,

あけましておめでとうございます。:)

Hey Thomas,
I really would love to do this course again, but... we really do need to check whether the road is open or not! It would be a shame to ride out there to find that the road is closed - Soraさん、お願いだから、調べてちょうだい!
In the case that the road is open, Thomas, I suppose that you're planning to ride out there from this way. What time will you be leaving? - I'll meet you at the same corner in Kameido!
Alcyone, Ashwarren, Shay, Ken, and to any others who will need to take the train out there (if necessary), how about 10:00-10:30 at Haijima Station? (Thomas, we'll have to start riding from Kameido at 7:00.)
As an "official" route, I usually wouldn't think about it until at least March, but if we can make it while the road is still open, LET'S DO IT!
Everybody, REMEMBER! Just in case; Take your bike-bags, and really warm winter-gear!
Can't wait! T

はいはい、I will check the road closed open or close untill tomorrow.

Pleae wait for a while.:)

Hi all,

Thanks for your post sora, I will look forward to hearing your road report. I agree if the road is open, we should attack the mountain!

Glad to hear we are now upgraded toa n Official Tour! :D

About the timing though!

I think 9 would be better than 10 though at Haijima station. Please see the suggested schedule below and you will understand why.

We will then follow route 7 from there out to Musashiichikaiichi station (about 6-7k) and then route 33 for 17 km to the turnoff up the mountain. I think we should ride together at least to the turnoff and from there we should go up the hill at our own pace and regroup at Tomin no Mura (I think this is the name of the place, I will check, but it is a rest point just before the 'tollgates' at the beginning of the steepest point of the climb. ) The reason I suggest this is that it will be VERY cold at the top of the hill and we do not want the faster riders having to sit up there for an hour waiting for the others to catch up! The idea should then be to hit the summit (the highest point in Tokyo, there is a sign up there saying this for those who want a photo) and then descend as quick as you can and regroup again at the bottom of the hill.

One point about the descent guys. The whole way down (9k) across the road are little lines that are designed to slow down cars. These things cause the bike to jump as you hit them. They are a real pain in the arse (literally), but watch your speed as if you hit them fast you can lose control easily.

The timing would thus be

9-10 haijima to the turnoff at the bottom of the mountain. (23k)
10-12.30 From the turnoff to the top of the mountain (18k including a short rest at Tomin no mura)and then regroup at the bottom of the hill.
12.30 -1.30 from Okutamako to the Okutama town and lunch at the onsen.
1.30-3.30 Lunch and onsen
3.30 to 6.00 Okutama to Kamishakujii (50k?) and stop for a coffee somewhere along the way, like Ome for example.
6pm-? Dinner at Kamishakujii.

What do you guys think of this schedule?

please let me know.

Ash

This is of course, presuming the god damned road is open!! If not, I will revise!

Back
Top Bottom