What's new

Tour de Shirokuma-pan economy version

chazzer

Speeding Up
Nov 23, 2006
In these austere times how about a re-run of part (the best part!) of last year's official Tour de Shirokuma-pan ?

For the full story then check this out......again many thanks to Travis for the original adventure !

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=611

The idea this weekend is as follows :

Saturday, January 31st. 8:00.
Arakawa – "Shirokum-pan (bakery)"

Here's the map:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/tokyo/399382713

First, a small introduction repeated from the original story:

"Shirokuma-Pan" (Polar-Bear Bread) is a small bakery at the foot of the Chichibu hills in Ogose-machi. It's a small, off-the-beaten-track shop that caters mostly to cyclists on their way to (or from) the mountains in southern Saitama. The shop owner was (still is) an avid cyclist – you can even buy spare tubes & bike accessories at the shop.
Check out the web-site:
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/e-e-e/sirokuma.com.html

The course:
8:00am START: at "Iwabuchi-Suimon" – a large water gate on Arakawa, just east of Akabane.
For those coming from western & southwestern Tokyo, the Rte.17 (Nakasen-do) bridge at 8:15 – Ride up Kannana-dori and turn left on R17 (it's about 20km from Setagaya-ku).

We'll have about 30km of "cycling-road" along the river before we have to turn onto the suburban country roads up near Kawagoe. Then another 30km to the bakery.

There we shall have our fill and then a leisurely return, hopefully with the help of the wind ?

There may even be an onsen around there, I seem to remember some of the team heading off towards a nearby venue last year ?

Does this sound like fun ?

chazzer

Thanks for posting, Charles! I will most likely join you for a quick raid into Saitama. However, the weather forecast doesn't look too promising...
10.gif

Cripes !

Its now 90% rain on Biglobe's otenki page....

Er....Sunday anyone ?

chazzer

The following week?

...Or maybe even the week after?

Thanks Charles, for bringing this one back.
I had actually thought about doing it in mid-late February.

Weather-permitting though, the following week might be better - Sat, 7th.

No hill-climbs on this one. Just straight up the river for our bread, and then back down with the famous Arakawa "northerly" TAILWIND:happy:

Whad'ya reckon?

I would like to join as well, if weather permits. Sunday would also be fine for me. I was riding in the hills around Ogose on Wednesday and all the roads were free of ice.

chris

I am up for the ride, if it is on Sunday or next weekend.

What is the nearest train station to the start of the ride?

Thanks

Dave

Sunday !

As there is not overwhelming interest in the ride then lets cancel for this weekend and I will go with Travis' suggestion that we try again for next week on Saturday 7th Feb.

If anyone is still interested in an Arakawa ride anyway then I will be at Kasaibashi at 8:00 on Sunday and look to repeat last week's ride out and back for a 100km day out.

Here is the starting place

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?hl=en&q=kasaibashi&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

chazzer

As there is not overwhelming interest in the ride...

15.gif
15.gif
Not surprising... :D

I concur with you and Travis, Charles. According to Chris' report, we might even be able to climb the hills around Ogose next week.

A

marks the spot....

not sure there will be any others apart from you and me though !

chazzer

David

See you there.... I would erase your keitai number actually. I will send you mine via PM.

Cheers for now,

chazzer

I will be in.

Pedalling from the west, I will meet you at Irimagawa bridge that is the junction of Irimagawa CR and Arakawa CR. Also it is nearby the motor bike racing course.

What time should I be there?

Minoru Arai

Will be along for the ride if it's on Saturday. The forecast looks OK so far.

Plan to ride from central Tokyo and meet somewhere along the Arakawa - the watergate perhaps?

AW.

Its on !

The Tour will run this Saturday using the timetable that I already posted. Will add more detail when I have time.

So far we have AlanW and Arai-san......anymore takers ?

chazzer

I would like to join you!
See you on Sat.

Naomi:)
Naomiさん

お久しぶりです。久々にご一緒できそうでなによりです。でも、簡単にちぎられそうで心配:D Shinobu さんは参加しないのかな?

新井

間違えて先週岩淵水門に行ってしまいました。:warau:
今週は残念ながら参加できません。ご一緒できたらサイボクハムを
ご案内しようと思っていたのですが…
グルメツアーにしてみてはいかがですか?

私は伊豆半島1周してきます。出来れば全自走で。
Leeさんも計画しているようですが、もしTCCで行くのであれば
ナビゲートできるように偵察してきます。

I went to Iwabuchi-Suimon last Saturday to meet TCC members and
to teke them to SaibokuHum(restrant&supa) in hidaka neer by ShirokumaPan.
But it's my mistake:(

I go to Izu Peninsula this weekend.
If Lee organize Izu Tour again I can surport you.
I prepare for the Tour.

Back
Top Bottom