What's new

Official Ride Tour de Shirokuma-pan (23rd TCC Tour)

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Saturday, January 26th. 8:00.
Arakawa – "Shirokum-pan (bakery)" – Karibazaka-toge!

This thread could also be called, "Back in the Saddle MkII", as the destination is exactly the same as Philip's "Back in the saddle" ride of last weekend.

However, this time we'll be riding up Arakawa (the same 2006 course I mentioned in the last report). Here's the map:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/tokyo/399382713

First, a small introduction:
"Shirokuma-Pan" (Polar-Bear Bread) is a small bakery at the foot of the Chichibu hills in Ogose-machi. It's a small, off-the-beaten-track shop that caters mostly to cyclists on their way to (or from) the mountains in southern Saitama. The shop owner was (still is) an avid cyclist – you can even buy spare tubes & bike accessories at the shop.
Check out the web-site:
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/e-e-e/sirokuma.com.html
Or, see the photo below.

The Go-Go-Gals have all expressed interest in going, and I thought it would also be a good opportunity to do some more climbing for those who might be interested.

The course:
8:00am START: at "Iwabuchi-Suimon" – a large water gate on Arakawa, just east of Akabane.
For those coming from western & southwestern Tokyo, the Rte.17 (Nakasen-do) bridge at 8:15 – Ride up Kannana-dori and turn left on R17 (it's about 20km from Setagaya-ku).

We'll have about 30km of "cycling-road" along the river before we have to turn onto the suburban country roads up near Kawagoe. Then another 30km to the bakery.
From there, I imagine our group will split into two:
1. Those who wish to ride straight back down the river.
2. Those who wish to burn their thighs, and freeze their feet at the same time - A climb up to Karibazaka-toge along the "Green-Line".

Group one will be looking at a 120km round-trip, while group two will chalk up a century (plus a bit more for the ride home).
Also for those in group two; Now that we know there are multiple choices for the return course, once at the top, we can split up there and take whichever route is quickest for each individual (ie. Arakawa, OR Tamagawa).

Even if you feel it's still too early in the year to be doing any mountain rides, please try and make it at least into group one for the "Shirokuma-pan" ride – A leisurely 120km on the flats.

Looking forward to it!
Hope to see as many people as possible for this one.

Rubber Down!
Travis

-------------------------------------Disclaimer from TCC--------------------------------------
[in Japanese 日本語]
以下の内容に同意の上、オフィシャルツアーにご参加ください。

---------------オフィシャルツアー参加規約---------------
東京サイクリングクラブ(TCC)は、オフィシャルツアーにおいて発生する事故・怪我・損害等について一切責任を負いません。すべて参加者の自己責任において処理・対応をお願いします。対人・対物の事故が発生した場合も、事故の相手との交渉・対応等は全て事故を起こした方ご本人が行ってください。
上記内容に同意いただけない場合は参加をお断りいたします。

Sora

First on the list! Sounds like a great ride Travis, please count me in... It's about time I braved those toge on the far side of Tokyo. :climb01:

Travis - I will be up for this one. Just how far up will depend of course but you have all of the options covered as always ! Looks like a great day out !!

Thanks,

Charles

I am back

Just got back from the US on Sunday. Carrying alot of turkey, duck, steak and stuff in my spare tire, so I guess it is time to ride.

For a Yokohama boy, 8:00 on the other side of Tokyo is not the time to ride, unfortunately. Meeting you in Oomiya about 30kms up from the start is doable, though. I would guess something like 9:30 ready to roll? There is a convenient train that gets in at 9:17.

What do you think about arranging a second meeting point at Oomiya station? This is predicated on someone else being willing to come back via Tamagawa...

Getting there...

Thanks to the guys who've replied already.
In order:

>Phil: If you're coming from Chiba, I can suggest the Sobu-Yokosuka line, which stops at "Shin-Koiwa". If you can be ready to roll from there by about 7:10, I'll ride past there and pick you up on my way to Iwabuchi-Suimon (the starting place).

>Chazzer: Hey Charles, coming from Shibuya, instead of Kannana-dori, it might be quicker to just ride straight up "Yamanote-dori" - It runs directly into (becomes) Rte.17, and it's only about 15km to the river. Is 8:15 OK for you?

>Pucci: Welcome back Aaron! 9:17 at Omiya may be cutting it a tad fine.
From Omiya, it's 8km to the river along Rte.2 (check your Mapple!) - It runs into Rte.16 which crosses Arakawa; and we'll be going halfway across that bridge (16) around 9:00-9:15. If at all possible, one train earlier would make all the difference.

Provided most of the Go-Go-Gals are coming too, that makes 7 riders so far!

Nobu
Shinobu
Naomi
Travis
Phil
Chazzer
Pucci.

Still waiting for the undecided!

Travis

Tentative for 2

Seems I'm able to get a porch pass for the 26th, so pls count me in as tentative. I also have a work coleague (avid cyclist) from Germany that's interested.

We'll be at Iwabuchi Suimon... probably start in Akasaka/Tokyo, go up thru Ueno, run into Arakawa around KM 16 or 17 mark, then head up.

Will post again if things fall thru...

Thanks to the guys who've replied already.

>Chazzer: Hey Charles, coming from Shibuya, instead of Kannana-dori, it might be quicker to just ride straight up "Yamanote-dori" - It runs directly into (becomes) Rte.17, and it's only about 15km to the river. Is 8:15 OK for you?

Travis - sure ! I rode back this way with you and Thomas from Arakawa so should be OK.

Charles

Please let me in

I marked 26th on my calendar. Thank you, Travis , for arranging this tour.

Coming from west, I will meet you all at Irima Ohashi (bridge) point 18 on your map. It is the cross point of Arakawa and Irima river.

What time do you expect you passing this point?

Minoru Arai

>Phil: If you're coming from Chiba, I can suggest the Sobu-Yokosuka line, which stops at "Shin-Koiwa". If you can be ready to roll from there by about 7:10, I'll ride past there and pick you up on my way to Iwabuchi-Suimon (the starting place).

Hey Travis--I'm probably going to be driving in, so Shin-koiwa would work even better. I'll have to find somewhere to park the car, but how about meeting under the Rt 315 bridge at 7:10? (Just tell me which bank.)

Logistics update!

Wow! Still over a week away, and we already have 12 riders (we could possibly end up with more than twenty by the 26th)!

>Phil: Rte 315 (Kuramaebashi-dori) on the western side please - You'll have to ride across the river from Shin-Koiwa, and I'll meet you under the bridge there!

>Chazzer: Glad you remember the spot! Just wait on the river under the Rte.17 bridge for us to come riding by to pick you up. See you there!

>Trad: Hey Todor, I hope you and your Deutsch buddy can make it too.
From Ueno, you can either head straight up Rte.4 to the river, or... If you know the roads around Uguisudani & Nippori, you can save yourself 2km by going up Rte.58 (Ogu-Bashi-dori). Once you hit the river, it's 5-7km to Iwabuchi-Suimon.

>Arai-san: I think "Irima-Ohashi" is too far up the river! After only 5km from Irima, we will leave the river-cycling-road!
It would be better for you to meet us at the Rte.463 bridge (羽根倉橋・浦和所沢バイパス) at 8:50! Then you can enjoy more conversation with the other riders as we head north.

>Pucci: Here's your own personalized map of where to go from Omiya.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/omiya/309874486
We will be waiting half-way across the bridge for you (hopefully right on 9:15).

>Thomas: Glad to hear that you'll be with us too! How about you wait under the Kuramaebashi-dori bridge at 7:10, so that you can ride up with Phil & myself?

I think that covers everyone so far.
See you all next weekend!

In order of appearance:

Nobu
Shinobu
Naomi
Travis
Phil
Thomas
Todor
Todor's Friend
Charles
Arai-san
Aaron

For everyone else, you still have a week to decide!
Yoroshiku!

Travis

Hi guys,

I have been following your exploits for a while, but without a bike it was difficult to join you, that has now been resolved........however my cycling fitness is another matter, as an ex-triathlete, the muscle memory is there, but thats about all.
This ride sounds great, I can always turnaround when the batteries run-out. So here goes with a commitment to be there on the 26th. Now I just got to make sure the nuts and bolts are tight and shoes fit.

Coming from Komaba, Yamate-dori, route 17 sounds like the way to go.

See you on the 26th unless I get cold feet, cheers.

>Phil: Rte 315 (Kuramaebashi-dori) on the western side please - You'll have to ride across the river from Shin-Koiwa, and I'll meet you under the bridge there!

Great. Thanks again Travis. I'm just going to PM my keitai number over, in case I get caught in traffic etc.

>Arai-san: I think "Irima-Ohashi" is too far up the river! After only 5km from Irima, we will leave the river-cycling-road!
It would be better for you to meet us at the Rte.463 bridge (羽根倉橋・浦和所沢バイパス) at 8:50! Then you can enjoy more conversation with the other riders as we head north.

Travis

Thank you for this suggestion. I agree. I will meet you at Hanekura bridge 25Km away from my place at 8:50. The meeting point should be under the bridge on Arakawa cr.

Minoru Arai

Another One Rides

Sounds like fun. Anyone else riding out from central Tokyo (Rt. 10 to the start of the
Arakawa cycling path)?

David

(I am assuming that I will lose the low-grade cold that's been dogging me for the past
week, as well as survive the coming week's trials by visa renewal and orchiectomy [pas moi, mais mon chat.])

Upgraded to "Official Tour"!

In the light of the relatively large number of participants the ride has been officially upgraded to "Official Tour", TCC's 23rd official ride. :)

Participants so far in alphabetical order:

Aaron (Pucci)
Arai-san (araim1)
Charles (Chazzer)
Christoph (cinelli)
David (deej)
David (TrufflesEater)
Gerard (Ger234)
Naomi
Nobu
Phil
Philip
Shinobu
Thomas
Todor (trad)
Todor's Friend
Travis (YellowGiant)

I'll join you at point of 27km from the bey or Iwabuchi-Gate.
Please count me

Welcome , Okey-san

You are my teacher.:) and guided me toward this area. You are the expert of this area too. You can contribute a lot to us.:bike::bike:

Minoru Arai

Back
Top Bottom