What's new

Tour de Okinawa

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
For anyone wishing to compete in a well organized road race I highly recommend this one. They close all roads to traffic and have support cars/ feed stations etc. There are quite a few different races, from 50kms to 210kms. I've just entered the 140km road race, the same one I did in 2010 and came 6th.....hoping for a podium this year:pray:

They fill up very quickly as they have a max of 400 riders/race and I noticed some are already closed for entry. Please join me:)

Here's the link: http://www.tour-de-okinawa.jp/english/

Would really love to - I think Ryoji and some of the other team members are going. It is a fantastic race thats for sure.

If I do go, I will be racing the UCI 2.2 race though as there is talks of me being loaned out by Champion System to a Conti Team based in Hong Kong.

Fingers crossed! :angel:

For anyone wishing to compete in a well organized road race I highly recommend this one. They close all roads to traffic and have support cars/ feed stations etc. There are quite a few different races, from 50kms to 210kms. I've just entered the 140km road race, the same one I did in 2010 and came 6th.....hoping for a podium this year:pray:

They fill up very quickly as they have a max of 400 riders/race and I noticed some are already closed for entry. Please join me:)

Here's the link: http://www.tour-de-okinawa.jp/english/
Hi Mike,

Sounds nice. Could be a good motivator to start training again :angel:.
How do you plan to go and where to stay?

Cheers,
Malte

Looks like there is a non-competitive entry as well? (i'm more interested in that). Like a 2-day tour over 300km+.

Lots of text, will have to actually pay attention to it later and go through it.

Hi Mike,

Sounds nice. Could be a good motivator to start training again :angel:.
How do you plan to go and where to stay?

Cheers,
Malte

Ahhhh rather than swim I imagine airplane and hotel:p

Ahhhh rather than swim I imagine airplane and hotel:p

Ok, to help your imagination :p:
1) use rental for transit or bike in Okinawa / plan/ok to share transport?
2) When to arrive? Saturday or Friday? Stay one night or two?
3) Share Hotel?

Ok, to help your imagination :p:
1) use rental for transit or bike in Okinawa / plan/ok to share transport?
2) When to arrive? Saturday or Friday? Stay one night or two?
3) Share Hotel?

Malte,honestly I haven't thought that far ahead yet. Last time I stayed at a mate's place friday and saturday night, came back late sunday night...still thinking about things. I'm more than happy to share a room if that makes it cheaper, but I will leave Friday late afternoon.

Debating the 140 or 210 version. Right now - leaning towards the 210...

From the hp:
Registered Keirin riders can participtage in citizens' road race categories except in all of Men's 50km races.

yeah because the 50km route is as flat as a pancake I think and the Keirin rders just go off the front and TT it :D

yeah because the 50km route is as flat as a pancake I think and the Keirin rders just go off the front and TT it :D

I don't believe that a Keirin would be good in 50km TT.
Guess they just would win the Sprint.

I'm thinking we'll do the 210km.

Tim - there is a cut off so you need to be competitive in the distance you are racing - The 210km race is also the main event that JCF, JET1 and JPT riders enter that didn't get selected for the UCI event.

Me three!

I just signed up for the 140km race too.
>Mike, Malte: Will PM you to see about logistics / travel & accommodation arrangements, etc.
Looking forward to it!
Travis

how many hills on this course, I guess a few as the average times didn't seem so fast? Anyone have elevation or course data?

how many hills on this course, I guess a few as the average times didn't seem so fast? Anyone have elevation or course data?

Unfortunately I lost my file from 2010, but yes it's a lot of climbing....very hilly course.

Looking at the course profile for 2010 it looks like the 200km RR had over 2000m of climbing - all from sea level and pretty steep. The highest climb is 390m.

Basically the course is undulating and pretty much follows the coastline of the main island apart from when it cuts across to the other side of the coast twice – which is where the two major climbs come in.

Both climbs are featured in the 140km and the 210km road race.

Also I would suggest you all make note of the rules as this is a JCF event like the Japan Cup and Tour of Japan Citizen Races they are pretty strict and enforce them:

Racing bicycle regulations:

• All bicycles must have working front and rear brakes, and additionally must be completely man powered.
• Handle bars must have a safe design ( no sharp edges) and must have handle bar grips.
• The following handle bar types are not allowed.
• Delta, Bullhorn, DH, Clip on, Spinach, End bar, and Drop handle bar attachments.
• Lights, Dynamos, mirrors, baskets, bike stands, fenders, rear rack/ carriers, locks, saddlebags, and disk wheels are not allowed.

Race Rules:

• Time limit : You must reach each check point within the allotted time for your particular course.
• If you exceed the allotted time, you will be disqualified.
• Eligibility : Please refer to the official rules for more detailed information.
• All participants responsibilities : emergency first aid is provided by the race organization, however, hospitalization and any required aftercare costs must be assumed by the participant.
• Equipment you are allowed to carry is limited to: a spare tube, a repair kit, glasses, and a watch, you are not allow to carry glass bottles, or any dangerous objects. Beverages are allowed however, alcohol and drugs (such as doping) are strictly prohibited.
• Trouble : In the event of any bicycle trouble, you must perform any repairs on your own, after which you may continue the race. You may also, lend or borrow an air pump, but not any bicycle parts.
• Helmets : All participants must wear JCF approved helmets. Violators of this rule will be disqualified from the race.
• Number of attached : All participants must follow the guidelines for wearing their number identifiers.
• Suspension order of the competition : If ordered to quit the race by a race official or a doctor, you must immediately comply.
• Sabotage : If you interfere with the other racers or obstruct the course in any way, you will be disqualified.

One thing you need to make sure of is that you have the JCF approved sticker in your helmet – THEY DO CHECK! If your helmet doesn't have it you will not be able to race, unless someone with the same model, colour and size is also at the race that has the sticker in it – Yes sounds dumb but it's basically the rules so make sure you have one in there!

Also gloves – make sure you have them and do not take them off mid race, it will get you disqualified.

Finally make sure you have your entry card or racing licence without it you could be turned away.

I did the 210km in 2010 and it was tough! I went out too hard on the first climb, just lost contact with the lead group, and spent the next 50km pushing the wind trying to get back on. Should have gone back to the peleton!
My heart rate file stats were:
Energy: 5506 kcal
Ascent: 2380m
ps. I didn't have anyone check my helmet stickers or gloves or my bike. Never had any checks for Japan Cup either... But maybe they've changed their rule checking attitude recently.

Back
Top Bottom