What's new

Tour de Okinawa

Clay, every JCF event I've done this year they have checked. Apprently they were checking bike weights at Fuji Hill climb.

No spinach handlebars always makes me chuckle a bit (and yes I know it's copied right from the website and should be Spinachi, but nonetheless
Muttley-picture.gif
Good luck to all TCC riders.
AW.

Racing bicycle regulations:

• Helmets : All participants must wear JCF approved helmets. Violators of this rule will be disqualified from the race.

One thing you need to make sure of is that you have the JCF approved sticker in your helmet – THEY DO CHECK! If your helmet doesn't have it you will not be able to race, unless someone with the same model, colour and size is also at the race that has the sticker in it – Yes sounds dumb but it's basically the rules so make sure you have one in there!

I checked last week in the Y-Roads but couldn't find any JCF sticker on the helmet they were selling. So what are those stickers? How to get one?

I checked last week in the Y-Roads but couldn't find any JCF sticker on the helmet they were selling. So what are those stickers? How to get one?

If you bought your helmet in Japan the sticker is normally in a small sealed plastic bag that is then stapled to the warranty card of the helmets. The sticker is white and round about the size of a 10 yen coin with the same logo which is found on the watermark of the PDF file found on the weblink kiwisimon posted - it's very easy to miss if you aren't looking for it, if you still have all the documents and paper work for the helmet it should be still there.

Like this...

7819480806_7cd44f0686_b.jpg

I think if you have a well-known brand, such as MET, LAS, Kabuto, OGK, etc., they won't bother looking because they know that all of those brands are approved - It's a good way for the helmet company's to get a bit of a monopoly over cheaper no-name products.
It's only if you have a "retro" looking helmet, that clearly wasn't bought at a "Nalsima" or "Y's Road", you might have people asking questions.

Same problem - I'm pretty sure my helmet is on the list, but how to convince the person checking without the sticker?

They won't be on the helmet Malte - the sticker is inside the box with the paper work the owner then decides if they want to put it on or not.

At the race on Sunday they didn't check the helmets for stickers, nor the bikes so thats 2 out of 3 races organised by the JCF this year I've attended that they have checked - a few others I race with who have attended more mentioned they are getting very strict though compared to previous years.

If you do not have a sticker I suggest going to your LBS and asking if they can get you one rather than accidentally walking out of a shop with one :cool:

Hmm, my helmet has as all kind of European and US certifications and I bought it because it was test winner in several European magazines. However they don't have the "UVEX Boss Race" on their list in Japan. So I could:
- bring a friends helm for registration :rolleyes:
- get a sticker from somewhere and stick it on
- ask them by mail to approve that helmet :cool:
- buy a new helmet :mad:

Malte - My wife has the exact same helmet and it passed JCF approval in 2010 - she got hers in Japan and it has the sticker.

Mike - you're bloody laughing then with the wattage we pull on training rides!!

Obviously, Yama-K is a very smart racer, to get round with the figures he did (they seem low for such a race) - I`m guessing he saved a huge amount of effort with clever riding. If you work out the W/kg he was working at on the climbs and adjust the overall Watts for the climbs in relation to your W/kg you could probably do the exact same ride as a training exercise, though obviously, matching the course topographically wise, would be near impossible. And at 59 kg, I`m guessing he has a lower CdA, which would again alter things, wattage wise. That time over threshold is the killer...

Tour de Okinawa 2013 is going to be held November 9-10. I plan to go and win te 140k race. Anybody else interested?

Tour de Okinawa 2013 is going to be held November 9-10. I plan to go and win te 140k race. Anybody else interested?
Oops. Ten minutes ago I registered for Tour de Bintan. Of course they would be the same weekend....

It sounds like fun! Might check the home front and see if I can talk them into a "Holiday" in Okinawa!

Dude, which cat did you sign up for?
I also signed up for Bintan, 3rd year in a row.
I have done Okinawa as well and much prefer Bintan. Better organized, nicer weather, cheaper overall and a lot more strategic racing in the Cat. A race. I would have liked to do both Bintan and Okinawa....too bad they are on the same weekend.

Okinawa 230km is plenty tough but the field size is insane and there are way too many crashes, rain or no rain.

Dude, which cat did you sign up for?
I also signed up for Bintan, 3rd year in a row.
I have done Okinawa as well and much prefer Bintan. Better organized, nicer weather, cheaper overall and a lot more strategic racing in the Cat. A race. I would have liked to do both Bintan and Okinawa....too bad they are on the same weekend.

Okinawa 230km is plenty tough but the field size is insane and there are way too many crashes, rain or no rain.

Was advised to sign up for Cat 2 from the guys I'm staying with on the island. More of an experience for me rather than a race.... I understand the prologue does some amount of ordering/screening anyway. Hopefully get some practice runs in over the next few months.

Back
Top Bottom