What's new

Tour de Kusatsu 2014

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
After the last few years, with the excess snow and particularly cold conditions, it seems that the enthusiasm for this event has also cooled off (pun intended).
Originally, I wasn't planning on doing it this year either, but after having just gotten back into (a wee bit) of training, I figured it would be a nice little warm-up race.
I wasn't even sure that entries were still open, but when I checked it seems that they have "extended" the registration period (it's quite possible that TCC wasn't the only club to lose interest this year), and they will be accepting entries until March 9th - that's 6 days from now.
You can enter here, on the SportsEntry website.

After the 9th, we'll see how many riders we have, and then start looking for accommodation.

I'm foregoing this event this year as well. After several years of either closure or shortened course without any recourse , contingency or forward compensation it doesn't represent a good value anymore. The organizers of these events really need to consider how to create a bit more value other than some 100y mochi cake and 'shogunai'.

Too bad about that HC. I really enjoy the town and event.
Last time I went there, 3 years ago, I got caught in a late spring snow storm and barely made it to the pension.
2WD Hi-Ace's really suck in the snow. The HC went ahead after the snow melted in about 24hrs, but it was -3c at the top of the hill.

If you are looking for a great place to base for a HC camp, Kusatsu (or Hakuba) is great. Some amazingly long climbs....

Attachments

• 25335_398640439520_6053428_n.jpg
    25335_398640439520_6053428_n.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 25335_398640454520_3002820_n.jpg
    25335_398640454520_3002820_n.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 18
I must have been lucky when I did it in 2001 - it was cold and the day before was thick fog but the run up to the top was great. Did not know about the van that took your kit to the top so froze on the way down with wet cycling gear!!

I climbed this climb last year with some of the fellas. I would like to enter, but wondering how much snow is still around. It seems I have only heard bad stories about the event.

Can't wait to do this - in June or later!!
Put the money under the pillow and join me for a trip up there, once the summer heat becomes unbearable in the kanto plains.

I'm deffo giving it some thought as I'd love to see how I fare in competition. Anyone else giving it a crack?

I'm lucky to have free access to a small apartment in the last building before that climb. I've ridden it twice (not as part of the race) and it is some of the best I've done in Japan. The area after the ski station half way up is a bit hard in terms of the concentration of sulphur.

Agree, with GSAstuto. I love this event and have podiumed a few times. But when there is no contingency / compensation for cancellation it isn't really worth the risk.

Gunnar, we ride out to Kusatsu from here in the summer and stay the night. Riding up and over the highest national road in Japan from the Nagano side, stay a night in Kusatsu, back over the hill climb course the next day.

The mountain is beautiful in summer and surprisingly little car traffic.

It's a nice event - a fast and slow group on the road - and a good booze up in Kusatsu. Let me know if you are interested!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Let me know if you are interested

I'm lucky to have free access to a small apartment in the last building before that climb. I've ridden it twice (not as part of the race) and it is some of the best I've done in Japan. The area after the ski station half way up is a bit hard in terms of the concentration of sulphur.

As I think you might get more Pm's about this, my open request:
I will carry your waterbottles for access to this place!

@andy Count me in! Would probably come up from my side first, come back down to yours to ride back up.

Sounds great! Please let us know, I would like to join. That is a fun mountain to ride.

Agree, with GSAstuto. I love this event and have podiumed a few times. But when there is no contingency / compensation for cancellation it isn't really worth the risk.

Gunnar, we ride out to Kusatsu from here in the summer and stay the night. Riding up and over the highest national road in Japan from the Nagano side, stay a night in Kusatsu, back over the hill climb course the next day.

The mountain is beautiful in summer and surprisingly little car traffic.

It's a nice event - a fast and slow group on the road - and a good booze up in Kusatsu. Let me know if you are interested!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Let me know if you are interested

Back
Top Bottom