What's new

Tour de Kusatsu 2011

I would hazard a guess at

1K Time Trial (Climb)

Thanks for the clarification.

btw, I applied for TDK (Tour Du Kusatsu) in January - about when will I recieve any kind of package in the mail regarding the race? (cuz i keep hearing veterans talk about getting some package in the mail...)

Yep :) I just meant Kusatsu Trial Training. But , hey, the Tim-style works as well , cause I will be repeating this event on my fixed gear, so my training rides may be different than geared riders.

And during the winter many Keirin pros are also out getting their chops in by hitting the hills. If I can't get a hill in my weekly rides, then I use the 'tire hiki' for more fun and pain than the Arakawa generally delivers.

Anyway - I'm hopefully going again this Sunday - as I said - probably the Okutarumi 'double dipper'. A little boring, but the distance and elevation are correct and is good transition from LSD to hill.

Tim

KT = Kusatsu Training (T = Tim-style?)

In the weeks leading up to the race, we would usually do a weekend "Kusatsu Training" ride somewhere in the hills around Tokyo - Starting with Long Slow Distance and a lot of climbing, and gradually tapering to short but very intense climbs nearer to the actual race.
The first, "KT1" would normally be starting this weekend, with "KT7" or "KT8" being the week before the race - O-Toge Time Trial.
Unfortunately, I'm currently unable to make any arrangements (and the snow we had the other day limits how high we could climb anyway), but Alan usually has some good plans for these rides!
Keep an eye out for posts, by Alan or anyone else, with with the "KT" moniker in them - They're bound to be fun & challenging.
Miura-hanto might be a good option, at least until the snow melts.

Was really hoping to join everyone this year but work means I'll be out of country in April and May... Once again, I'll just have to enjoy it via the reports and pics.

KTT #2 Complete:

45km LSD to Tako. @ 1.5hr
Section 1 - Otarumi Top from Takao Sanguchi
Section 2 - Sagamiko Back to Otarumi Top
Section 3 - 2km TT from KM56 @ 7.04
Section 4 - 1km TT from KM 57 @ 4.00
Section 5 - 1km TT from KM 57 @ 3.80 (standing)

This was not at race pace - but keeping solid in my Zone 2 range which is about 155 HR.

Not 100% sure of my times cause my watch got reset - but something in that range...

Train back from Takao Sanguchi so I can make it home for some family time. Will hit the gym a few times this week and also some intervals locally. Then do another KTT next weekend. Probably Otarumi -> Wada , then Wada reverse for TT, then back to Takaosanguchi again.

Something New

I will be at Kusatsu this year doing something a bit different this year.

Instead of racing for myself, I will be chaperoning my 10 year-old son (11 next month) up the hill in his first "race." My wife will be coaxing his twin sister up to the 6km mark in the Sasshogawara Course.

Very excited.

Hopefully I can do a climb of my own the day before the race. Does anyone know if the race course is open the day before? Anyone plan to ride the day before? Or even better does anyone know any other good climbs out of Kusatsu that wouldn't be snow-bound?

Aaron

Pucci thats awesome.... My little girl races (8 very soon) and its a great family experience I'm rather famous in the JCRC being "Oyabaka" when it comes to her..... although it has encouraged many other parents to get thier children entered.

I've ramped up my training a bit if anyone is interested to join:

1) Monday @ Arakawa - 10km 'standing hiki' - this is where you drag a tire for 10km in the standing position. It develops smooth, low cadence pedal stroke besides getting you in shape for longer than usual standing attacks. Alternative is Sergei's Yabitsu climb - but for me - at 75min+ each way, plus the ride, is a bit of a chunk of 'train time'. Arakawa route is 100% pedal time and takes roughly 2hr end-to-end.

2) Wednesday Intervals. I'll probably do this either on Arakawa or Palace early in the A.M.

3) Sat / Sun. Hill work. Minimum 175km goal with at least 1500m climbing. Typically this would be ride out to Itsukaichi -> Tomin No Mori -> some other hills -> back again. Or head to the Greenline and hit the roulers. At least 3 good climbs there plus lots of short attack repeats.

4) Tue / Thurs Freeweight session. 60min max - lift-to-fail, focus on upper body, frontal core only.

Mon / Wed could be reversed in favor of a Yabitsu climb. But at least 1 day will be reserved for the hiki.

You guys wouldn't happen to know if the Tour Du Kusatsu might be post-poned or cancelled in lieu of the Earthquake/Tsunami situation, would you? A co-worker and fellow cyclist told me to make sure before getting my hopes up for April 17.

Kusatsu will go on as planned apparently.

Unfortunately the JBCF jitsugyodan schedule for all of April has been scrapped. This includes Ibuki Hill climb.

Zao Hill climb has also been cancelled.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I will be at Kusatsu this year doing something a bit different this year.

Instead of racing for myself, I will be chaperoning my 10 year-old son (11 next month) up the hill in his first "race." My wife will be coaxing his twin sister up to the 6km mark in the Sasshogawara Course.

Very excited.

Hopefully I can do a climb of my own the day before the race. Does anyone know if the race course is open the day before? Anyone plan to ride the day before? Or even better does anyone know any other good climbs out of Kusatsu that wouldn't be snow-bound?

Aaron

Aaron

Based on my past two years of experience, I have not seen the route was open to the top of Mt.Shirane at the previous day of the race. I have been up to Sesshogawara which is the goal of the short course but saw the road was closed further that. I am not this might be the case for this year.

Minoru Arai

Can't we call that "dancing hiki" ? :D:D

I've ramped up my training a bit if anyone is interested to join:

1) Monday @ Arakawa - 10km 'standing hiki' - this is where you drag a tire for 10km in the standing position. It develops smooth, low cadence pedal stroke besides getting you in shape for longer than usual standing attacks. Alternative is Sergei's Yabitsu climb - but for me - at 75min+ each way, plus the ride, is a bit of a chunk of 'train time'. Arakawa route is 100% pedal time and takes roughly 2hr end-to-end.

2) Wednesday Intervals. I'll probably do this either on Arakawa or Palace early in the A.M.

3) Sat / Sun. Hill work. Minimum 175km goal with at least 1500m climbing. Typically this would be ride out to Itsukaichi -> Tomin No Mori -> some other hills -> back again. Or head to the Greenline and hit the roulers. At least 3 good climbs there plus lots of short attack repeats.

4) Tue / Thurs Freeweight session. 60min max - lift-to-fail, focus on upper body, frontal core only.

Mon / Wed could be reversed in favor of a Yabitsu climb. But at least 1 day will be reserved for the hiki.

Just to confirm, the road beyond the goal for the short hill climb is closed until race day. That goal is at the gate which gets closed in winter.

If you are going to Kusatsu by train, the climb up from the station to the town is a decent climb. Also just riding around the town has lots of nice steep climbs. When they used to run a pre-race parade through the town, some parts of the circuit where steeper than the course itself.

Andy

Haha! Good name! The tires are always sitting there by the 17 crossing bridge. Anyone is welcome to use them :)

Can't we call that "dancing hiki" ? :D:D

Just to confirm, the road beyond the goal for the short hill climb is closed until race day. That goal is at the gate which gets closed in winter.

If you are going to Kusatsu by train, the climb up from the station to the town is a decent climb. Also just riding around the town has lots of nice steep climbs. When they used to run a pre-race parade through the town, some parts of the circuit where steeper than the course itself.

Andy

So there won't be a pre-race parade this year?

Due to the ever-increasing number of participants, they no longer do the pre-race parade. The roads around "yubatake" are quite narrow and I imagine the organizers fear accidents.:bike:

I see.

So what's everyone wearing for the race?

Also, anyone have any links to info cycling shoes, pros, cons and alternatives? I'm researching them (wiki, and sifting through the internet), and I want to be sure to make an informed decision when and if I actually do purchase them.

So what's everyone wearing for the race?
tccmakini.jpg

I do declare - tempting from the 'Nairiki Pink'. If you make it , I <might> wear it. Though requires a trio (ala Power Rangers) to fully effect...

Back
Top Bottom