What's new

Tour de Kusatsu 2011

I was reading Yellow Giant's record of 2008's TDK earlier today. Pleasantly surprised that they use time-chips and send folks out in small groups at a time - sorta like how World Rally Cars are sent out one car at a time to complete a leg of a rally. That's definitely alot safer than tossing everyone out at the same time. I'm really looking forward to this now!

And regarding the downhill... I might be heading out there alone by my car or by train the day before the race. The downhill will obviously be colder than the uphill - according what I read from YG's 2008 TDK experience was that they have a truck that will take your stuff up the hill before the race?

Also, anyone up for heading back down to Takasaki by bike after the race? If I'm not dead after the race, I'd definitely be in. Reading YG's trek from '08 has got me excited. :love:

Type R,

I think I put these links up before, but here are my 3 reports of my visits to Kusatsu:

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2008/04/tour-of-kusatsu-race-report.html

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2009/04/kusatsu-race-report.html

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2010/04/kusatsu-race-report-1.html

Also Adam's excellent win in 2008.

http://adamcobain.blogspot.com/2008/04/tour-de-kusatsu-2008.html

With regards to what to wear, the weather can vary (last year there was snow the day before). I usually go with shorts, under shirt, jersey, arm warmers (to roll down on the lower slopes and roll back up where it gets cold) and some long finger gloves.

Yes there is a truck to take your stuff up. Pack loads of warm layers and some food as it is cold at the top. Also a camera for the descent as the views are fantastic!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Gonna be a fun ride! My race wattage has nearly doubled since last year and I'm 17kg lighter since then... now entering my final micro-cycle of prep. For sure will be the fastest fixed gear up the hill and hopefully knock a few minutes off my last year's time. Woo hoo!

Kojimaya Ryokan

Kusatsu-machi looks to be quite positive to open the race. I hope you guys are getting well enough prepared too!

BTW has everyone secured the place-to-sleep on the night before the race?
I happened to know that we still have a temporary group-reservation with Kojimaya-Ryokan that Sora had already made in last year. If someone still is looking for a hotel for Apri-16 night, pls let me know by a short rtn.. it's likely we have room for 14-15 persons.
http://www.kusatsu.org/kojimaya/ (<- Sorry Japanese-language only)

If I don't hear anything from anyone before April-5, I will go ahead and cxl the reservation so that Kojimaya-san can be open the room for other race participants :)

Let's keep working hard for the race!
juno

Im wondering if anyone who has entered this isn't attending wishes to sell me thier place?

Hello - I'm looking for place to sleep that night before. So - if anyone has cheap room to share let me know. Otherwise I'll rough it at the bus station. Just lock my bike to my leg so they'd have to drag both of us away. haha!

@Group - ok, found a room, so I'm ok! See everyone there.

I have a friend in the travel and hospitality business who said she could help me with getting a place to stay before the race, but ummm, if I met up and bunked with you folks, how much would it be?

@Type R - dude - the Ryokan here are very strict. You need to book WITH a group or separately. You cannot just crash in someone's room. The whole town will be packed and its one of the single most economic events for this community so they are very attentive. Some TCC members will group book rooms and that's best way to get a slot. Sorry, I have family and we booked room together - so can't oblige - but wish I could!!

I'm still in and looking forward to huffing and puffing my way to the top.

Looking for digs for that night. Are most people going to stay at the Kojimaya Ryokan?

GSAstuto - Ah, I see. Well, I guess I'll ask my friend for my own room lol. I've another friend who lives down the road from Kusatsu, I hate to impose, but maybe i can beg him to let me use his genkan for the night if all the hotels are booked.

Just got my rez confirmation from a friend. I'm booked at a hotel just a short walk from the yubitake section at Kusatsu. See y'all on race-day!

Juno, Pete et. al.
I would love to stay at the same place. One of the main reasons I signed up was for the camaraderie. :)

If there are spaces open, let me know who to pay. If I don't hear anything I'll book separately on Monday.

See you there!

Kojimaya Ryokan

Anyone else who's still in and is still interested in staying with Kojimaya ryokan- ?

I just checked with them, the rate is 7,500 yen per person - and the group has to be of more than 2 people. Many of us seem to have booked rooms separately already, maybe I suggest the rest to do the same?

If anyone is willing to organize our stay - please, add me to Kojimaya too :)

BTW, anyone got their official letters of invitation from Kusatsu organizers? There is a slight possibility that the event will be cancelled.

There is a slight possibility that the event will be cancelled.

Not anymore I believe. Kusatsu organizer on twitter sounds still very positive to hold the race - they are today working hard to remove the snow that they had over this past weekend :)

BTW - just received my entrants package!

Back
Top Bottom