What's new

Tour de Kii

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
The cherry trees are starting to bloom - it's time to plan for Golden Week. Sergey and I are intent on continuing our grand scheme of crossing Honshu from north to south.

See our previous stages:

1. Tour de Tohoku II

2. Tour d'Echoline

3. Tour de Hokurikudo

The Tour de Kii will be our fourth stage, starting off in Kyoto, crossing Kii-hanto clock-wise through the prefectures of Nara, Mie and Wakayama. Osaka is bound to be the goal. There shall be sweet suffering in the mountains, steadfast hammering along ragged coastlines, meditation in venerable temples and shrines and uninhibited inebriation in tatami-covered minshuku.

While the actual course has not yet been decided on, we shall leave on the first train to Kyoto on April 29, returning to Tokyo on May 5. Six days and a half of guaranteed adventure, folly and camaraderie. Who will join in?

PS: check this thread for updates.

Six days and a half of guaranteed adventure, folly and camaraderie.

You forget to mention the two days of guaranteed rain... :D

One of these Golden Weeks I'd love to join you guys, but not this year unfortunately... Will look forward to the great reports and pics as always, though.

Thomas, this interests me a lot but I have to work on the 30th as it's not a designated public holiday. If I were to leave Sat may 1st where would I find you guys, and logistically is it possible?

Mike, it would be splendid if you joined us! :)

So far we haven't had a lot of time to plan the trip, but Sergey has already drawn up the first day. According to him we shall spend the first night at Toba City, but I think that's a bit too far (164km from Kyoto), also given the fact that there's a plethora of interesting sightseeing spots in Nara I'd like to visit. I believe it's safe to assume that we shall be somewhere between Owase and Kumano in Mie Pref. on the morning of May 1st.

Two nights in Toba?

...or a slow advance towards Owase sounds just right.

There are so many interesting roads in that area - coastal roads south of Shima, Jingu, as well as many mountain roads in Ise/Watarai area...the city could be a bit crowded though.

As for the mad dash from Kyoto towards Toba, the sooner we get away from the civilization and heavy traffic the better, that's why :)

Hey there, do a little planning/reserving on places to stay, so that you don't repeat what happened in Hokuriku last year...! ;)

Thanks for that Thomas, it gives me something to think about anyway. The thing that worries me the most is this picture below from your last tour.

nanao_overnight.jpg

I couldn't bear the thought of my new sweetheart spending the night out like that. I don't think I'd get any sleep at all:( I should have kept my old bike for things like this, instead of selling it.

Kii

Mie and Wakayama Ken`s coastal roads most awesome - enjoy!

I highly recomend Hikimoto for a great minshuku and Atashika beach just north of Kumano.

A bunch of us from Half Fast will be in Mie and Wakayama for Golden Week too. I'm not sure of the precise itinerary. Would be funny if we encountered you folks.

--Mike--

Phil, thanks for the advice!

A bunch of us from Half Fast will be in Mie and Wakayama for Golden Week too. I'm not sure of the precise itinerary. Would be funny if we encountered you folks.

Mike, perhaps we can synchronise once you have your route planned. We do drink beer, too. :D

Tour de Kii - finished!

Yes!
We have spent 6 days of our painful training camp in the mountains of Kii hanto arriving, as originally planned, to Osaka station on day 7.

JR-OSAKA12.jpg

AWESOME! :D

Nice one!

Half Fast also had a wonderful time in Kii Peninsula over Golden Week. I guess we never crossed with you guys, although we rode some of the same roads. Considerably less arduous than your tour; I clocked just 400 km over 5 days, and have considerably increased my collection of Onsen towels (great for cleaning rear cassettes!)

Photos are here http://halffastcycling.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=48

Movie to follow on Thursday, after it premieres at the Pink Cow on Wednesday night.

--Mike--

normal_20100505-082816-kii-msw.jpg

normal_20100505-122842-kii-kelly.jpg

normal_20100501-111949-kii-kelly.jpg

Thomas, thanks for posting the report. Looks like you guys had a blast. Great scenery and weather. Just one question, what did you guys do when you came across that landslide? It looked pretty dangerous, but I'm guessing you hikling guru's went over it:confused:

I posted my videos of our (not Thomas and Sergey's) trip to Kii P. In case anyone's interested.

Mike, that's a great video. I'm a big fan of Ennio Morricone. :D

Btw, what software did you use for the topographic imaging?

Just one question, what did you guys do when you came across that landslide? It looked pretty dangerous, but I'm guessing you hikling guru's went over it:confused:

Mike, we had to turn back, as there was a 10-metre deep precipice to our left.

Mike that was a really nice video and a great memory for all that participated. Looks like you guys took it pretty easy and did a fair bit of sightseeing.

I must comment on one thing though, and that's your club jersey. Might be time for a change in design, don't you think? Hint hint, nudge nudge, ;);). I've been known to get around in some bright ones (the lime green of liquigas) but I think yours takes the cake...

While I'm on the subject, Thomas can't we please change the color of TCC's jersey????

Back
Top Bottom