What's new

Tour De France Saitama pre-Event Oct 24 7PM French Embassy

Kind of a bizarre 'event'. Like, why did I pay to listen to a marketing proposal?

That was exactly my point in an earlier post. A bit disappointing, wasn't it? Cheaply done too. You'd expect a bit more from the French embassy and ASO.

Does anyone know if the race still on tomorrow with all the rain? (serious question)
And if so, will Sky pull out one by one as they find the rain a little oppressive? (not quite so serious :)

Looks like it's on.

Here's the message that's on their site -

「さいたまクリテリウムbyツールドフランス」は予定通り開催いたします。

なお、天候状態や急激な天候の変化によっては、一部イベントの変更又は中止する場合もありますので、あらかじめご了承ください。
なお、雨天と混雑が予想されますので、カッパのご用意などご配慮くださるようお願いいたします。
皆さまのご来場をお待ち申し上げます。

And if we can trust the weather forecast, it will be on -
http://weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/11/4310.html

It's all in the name "Exhibition Race" - presented by......... rigged post tour crits have been around for years - it's to give the fans something to see, although this one was a bit too rigged.

Normally they would have a local hero or domestic rider make a break for it whom then would be chased down and caught before the line - but Froome out riding Segan on a flat course whom didn't even bother to get out of his saddle in the point sprints ....come on!

It's all in the name "Exhibition Race" - presented by......... rigged post tour crits have been around for years - it's to give the fans something to see, although this one was a bit too rigged.

Normally they would have a local hero or domestic rider make a break for it whom then would be chased down and caught before the line - but Froome out riding Segan on a flat course whom didn't even bother to get out of his saddle in the point sprints ....come on!

When I saw Froome, Sagan and Costa together in front on the last lap, I thought it was a bit overboard. But when I saw Froome a few minutes later alone with Sagan and Costa a few seconds behind, I just couldn't believe it. Ridiculous! I don't think this kind of script would work in Europe.

When I saw Froome, Sagan and Costa together in front on the last lap, I thought it was a bit overboard. But when I saw Froome a few minutes later alone with Sagan and Costa a few seconds behind, I just couldn't believe it. Ridiculous! I don't think this kind of script would work in Europe.
I can't see the point of it. If it's just so the fans can see the riders, then get the riders to parade round on a bus. As a martial artist I think the fake wrestling is ridiculous, and as a cyclist this feels exactly the same. Real cycling fans would rather see a race.

I can't see the point of it. If it's just so the fans can see the riders, then get the riders to parade round on a bus. As a martial artist I think the fake wrestling is ridiculous, and as a cyclist this feels exactly the same. Real cycling fans would rather see a race.

But wouldn't only real cycling fans know the fix was in? Was this for them or the wider arena? I, too, think the term "exhibition" said it all. If you went expecting a proper balls out race you may just have yourself to blame for being a tad disappointed. Most likely an appearance was a requirement for a lot if them; spin the pedals, smile at the crowd, don't upset the expectation of the uninitiated, and above all let Froomy win!

It's funny as I've been in a few exhibition races. The prologue to a certain race in Africa was one such case.

My DS came up to us before the race and said - Ride hard, give the crowd a good show, but what ever you do DON'T BLOODY WIN!

The reason was actually more noble than many of the post tour races, one of the African teams was having a bit of a hard season and unless they could produce a win their funding would be cut. The DS's had basically got together and worked out a solution. We raced for everything but the GC and it made for some very interesting and amusing racing.

Here`s my article. They didn`t use the pics I sent unfortunately.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=112141#.UmvrHShqKts

Thanks, Graham. Nice write-up.

I had fun at the event. Conveniently got there around 8:15 so missed most of the marketing, but enjoyed the crepes and cider, plus a chance to meet Hinault, Bardet, Arashiro and others. Great to see Jerome introduce Arashiro to the #2 at the Embassy so Arashiro could get his visa squared away for next season (and beyond).

For once, I am eagerly anticipating next year's Tour ... so I guess the marketing worked in my case, even if not for some.

@Gunnar, given saitemas last dance as the supposed GFX/Anime capital of Japan which again sucked millions of yen from the public coffers to accomplish nothing more than a few Cosplay train cars, this seems perfectly apropos.

I I watched that race, I wondered why after it had finished. The only guys not in on the fix were some of the Japanese guys. Who seemed to think the breakaway was for real. Kittel and co were hell bent on making sure it didn't get too far ahead.

Seriously what a joke.

Back
Top Bottom