What's new

Tour de First Climb

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Hello TCCers!

This is to announce that there will an excursion into the mountains of western Tokyo on Saturday, May 31. This is not going to be a super-fast ride for our resident mountain goats, but rather an opportunity for those of you seeking to build up some climbing experience and meet some fellow cyclists. Newbies and lurkers -- here's your chance! :)

That said, this ride will be challenging, going over two mountain passes and covering -- in my case from Setagaya Ward -- about 130 kilometers. Here is a link to a map of the route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/102346

So while I'm characterizing this ride as an introduction to the mountains, this is not for stone-cold beginners. Those of you planning to join should have a "decent" number of base miles under your belt to avoid collapsing mid-ride.

Also, be sure to have all the gear appropriate to a ride of this length and difficulty: spare tubes, pump, lights. And lycra is highly encouraged! :D I also encourage you to make a copy of the map and have it on you just in case.

EDIT: Here is a link to the report I made for the same trip Thomas and I did back in February: https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=630

Meeting points/times: (subject to tweakage as the date approaches)
Meeting point 1: Tamasuido-bashi (where Setagaya Dori intersects with Tamagawa) Roll out at 8:30 a.m.

Meeting point 2: Fuchu-Yotsuya-bashi (where the route crosses over to the south side of the Tamagawa) Roll out at 9:00 a.m.

Our first climb will be Odarumi Toge, then we will roll down to Sagamiko, hang a right at Fujino, and climb to Wada Toge. From there, it's back to Tokyo.

So far, nine people are signed up for the ride:
Deej
Simon
nickbeer (Nick)
chazzer (Charles)
kpykc (Sergey)
Richy152 (Lee)
Chris
Trad
Shalstead

Feel free to PM me for more details or other info! Hope to see you Saturday.

Deej

Deej

Count me in !

Nice to meet you and your family in Shimo yesterday:)

Charles aka chazzer

Nice idea, Deej, looks like a great ride! I would've liked to join you for this one, but sadly I think I'm still a week or two too early in my "rihabiri" to take on the west mountains, at any speed :) Have a good one!

Count me in !

Nice to meet you and your family in Shimo yesterday:)

Excellent, Chazzer! See you Saturday. And yes, what a happy accident to see you in civilian mode yesterday. See, I really do have kids. :)

Deej

Nice idea, Deej, looks like a great ride! I would've liked to join you for this one, but sadly I think I'm still a week or two too early in my "rihabiri" to take on the west mountains, at any speed :) Have a good one!

Thanks Phil. I hear you about the rehab, but I hope to ride with you soon -- we're overdue!

I will also try to join you, guys! Will be at Setagaya-Tamagawa intersection. Tokyo side of the bridge, I presume?

Tour de First Climb... Actually Wada-toge was my first serious climb, I tried to hit it from the east side, but didn't make it to the top - that wall of asphalt had me on my knees. Went home, promising to be back, but never been there after that... so now it's
:mad::mad::mad: REVENGE TIME!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I just can't miss it :)

I will also try to join you, guys! Will be at Setagaya-Tamagawa intersection. Tokyo side of the bridge, I presume?

Great -- I look forward to seeing you, Sergey! The meeting point is indeed on the Tokyo side. And just to clarify, we will be riding over Odarumi Toge first and then Wada Toge, so you will have to get your revenge from the west side, if you don't mind.

Deej

...we will be riding over Odarumi Toge first and then Wada Toge, so you will have to get your revenge from the west side, if you don't mind.

Hmmm, ok, I'll have it some other time maybe...
For now - just a backstab :)

I would love to join this. I've never been up Wada but have heard about it from various places, and even seen a homepage dedicated to time trials up it (http://wada-climb.s184.xrea.com/). It has developed a kind of mythical status and aura for me, especially since hearing about this mysterious lady at the top.

If possible, I would like to join you at Setagaya-Tamagawa on Saturday.

Lee

Glad you chimed in, Lee.

If possible, I would like to join you at Setagaya-Tamagawa on Saturday.

Absolutely. I look forward to seeing your new titanium steed!

I would love to join this. I've never been up Wada but have heard about it from various places, and even seen a homepage dedicated to time trials up it (http://wada-climb.s184.xrea.com/). It has developed a kind of mythical status and aura for me, especially since hearing about this mysterious lady at the top.

It does seem to have a certain "special" status, doesn't it? It was that very quality that spurred me into making it a part of my first day in the mountains last year. Perhaps the reputation comes from it being one of the hardest climbs close to Tokyo. I remember being told before the Sado ride last year that if you could handle Wada, you could handle the 210km Sado ride. Part of what made the ride enticing for me, Mr. Competitive, was being told that if I could finish the ride without dismounting, then I was officially "hard." It was grueling and comically slow-going, but I somehow managed to make it to the top without setting foot on the concrete. Now I ride up it on a unicycle while juggling bowling pins. It's just something I do.

The "mysterious lady at the top" is a first for me, however. Are there some stories about her? I'm pretty sure the old woman who tends the little shop at the top is Chinese, as I've heard her listening to Chinese-language radio programs and music on occasion. I even xie-xie'd her once, only to be told, in English, "You're welcome." :confused:

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you Saturday. :bike:

Deej

Climbing

All this climbing hills on bicycles is idiotic. Anyone who does this for fun is certifiable. :p

Me, I have to go to a wedding on Saturday and make a speech.

Hmm. Actually on second thought, I would rather climb a hill. :eek:

Deej and all,

I would like to join the ride this Saturday. I moved from Shanghai to Tokyo a couple of months ago but beside the Sakura ride my training has been pretty much confined to the Arakawa-area. Shanghai was flat as Holland so I am not exactly a mountain goat right now, but I did the Transalp race last year and hopefully I can convince my legs to switch back into mountain mode.. Looking forward to seeing everybody this weekend...

Chris

Great, see you Saturday, Chris! Transalp race, huh? That sounds punishing(ly awesome).

Deej

I would like to join the ride this Saturday. I moved from Shanghai to Tokyo a couple of months ago but beside the Sakura ride my training has been pretty much confined to the Arakawa-area. Shanghai was flat as Holland so I am not exactly a mountain goat right now, but I did the Transalp race last year and hopefully I can convince my legs to switch back into mountain mode.. Looking forward to seeing everybody this weekend...

Like to join as well

Got two old guys that would like to join (trad and shalstead) Never done Jimba before, and hope not to keep people not waiting too long.

Will be there at Tama and Setagaya dori.

Got two old guys that would like to join (trad and shalstead) Never done Jimba before, and hope not to keep people not waiting too long.

Hello, Trad. Sounds like you're setting us up for a hustle, but I'll be right on your wheel when you guys attempt a breakaway. :) I look forward to seeing you and shalstead on Saturday (if it doesn't rain, that is).

Speaking of rain, I may start sounding the riders out about the possibility of moving the ride to Sunday.

Deej

I'm in...

Completely new to everything Tokyo (including steep nearby mountains) but looking forward to a good ride...I'm in assuming I can successfully navigate my way to the rendezvous....Sunday works too if Saturday is rainy and ugly :bike:

If it's Sunday - i'm out - have an important rendez-vous with Fuji-san. But I would still go for a warm up on Saturday - it looks like it won't be raining the whole day.

Hello TCCers!

This is not going to be a super-fast ride for our resident mountain goats, but . :)

Hi Deej,

Thank you for a nice planning.
Naturally I would've love to join it, but foregoing schedule prevents me from doing this.

Hope, have nice riding to you all.

Michel

Looks like rain Saturday--move to Sunday?

Two weather reports say 90% rain on Saturday--anyone interested in Sunday?

Back
Top Bottom