What's new

totalcycling.com any good?

Crc

Davad, that stinks about all the mishaps with Chain Reaction. I had better luck with them, receiving a jacket and some cycling food (Clif Shot Bloks) last week with no hassles.

Deej

Next, after 2 years of living in Tokyo I`ve finally found what seems to be a good LBS (though it`s 35 minutes away by train): Cyclehouse Ishida in Mitaka. Great little shop. Ishida-san seems like he`s really into cycling, really into his shop and his customers. Last time I visited miserable Y`s Road, I saw two of the staff get into an actual physical fight - pushing and shoving each other in front of the customers....

I have just noticed that you live in Koto-ku, too. I can recommend the guys at Cycleshop Yoshida. They're at Eitai-dori and also happen to be sponsors of TCC.

They give discounts to TCC members (if you previously bought a frame at their shop), but you have to ask for it. Excellent service, they maintain all of my bicycles.

Deej - to give CRC credit, they have responded well: expediting a new bolt for the cranks and marking `gift` on the customs form so I don`t have to pay any tax on. (They did the same for the handlebar they forgot to include in another order). I think the issue with CRC (and probably all the big-box online retailers) is that the staff are not cyclists, and therefor can`t intuitively realize that someting`s amiss (like a crankset that has no bolt, or a 37cm box that supposed to contain a 44cm handlebar). This fact brings me back to the excellent `power seller` shops on Ebay. It seems like these people are enthusiastic cyclists who are working out of their homes, selling products that they are at least interested in...

Which brings me to the problem which is really at the core of this issue: the lack of a decent LBS in Tokyo. Thomas - thanks for the recommendation about Yohsida`s; I wonder if it wasn`t you who I met there a few months ago.... I was on a Cannondale Super-V that has rather comically enormous double-crown forks; the other person (you?) was on a road bike and heading to somewhere in Western Tokyo, which I found extremely impressive. I commute to work in Kayabacho everyday up and down Eitai Dori and swim at the Tipness in Kiba, so I pass Yoshida every damned day!

Unfortunately I had an amazing experience there, one that has prevented me from ever going back. I stopped in to tighten my crank bolt on the Cannondale which needs an 8mm or 10mm wrench which I didn`t have. At first he tries to sell me a new wrench (fair enough), but couldn`t find one, and so just says `sorry`, to get me out the door. So I ask if couldn`t I just borrow his for a second, to tighten just one bolt? He agrees, for a 200 yen charge. I agree (somewhat disgustedly), but he doesn`t give me the wrench, he sends out this 12 year old kid to do it. This guy looks at my bike for a minute, then tries to stick the hex wrench in the back of one of my pedals. I point to the crank bolt and he gets it, finally, but reaches down with his slender wrist and can`t get it to budge. He gives me a `daijobu desu`. I give him 200 yen, then I ask him if I can have the wrench for a second. I put a foot on the opposite pedal, lean on the wrench and get fully 1 and a half revolution out of it - my crank arm was that loose....

That was the last time I considered letting that shop touch my bike...

Isn`t the problem just that there`s a fashion-trend boom in high-end bikes at the moment and these shops in Tokyo are overloaded with customers? Places like Narushima Friend and Y`s Road seem to me the opposite of capitalism: even though I expained I was building up a bike and wanted full dura-ace grade components, none of them had any interest in me as a customer. They`d take my contact details, promise to get back to me but never do. They`re all fixated on the salaryman who`s going to drop a million yen; someone wanting to spend just 500,000 is only taking up space!

So I got everything from abroad....

Anyway, building up this bike`s been an interesting experience and this weekend I may be able to actually ride the thing! Hopefully I`ll be in good enough shape to start joining some TCC rides in a few weeks.

Sorry for blabbing...

So after several weeks totalcycling.com sent me an e-mail telling me Soloist frame is being shipped out today, but it has a chip in the frame, see pic below, and they will give me a 100 pound discount. It's right where I'll see it every ride so I said no thanks! What do you lads think? Am I making the right decision? I'm hoping they have another frame in my size, otherwise it's most likely game over on the 2008 model. I don't like the 2009 paint job, although it's quite similar it just doesn't do it for me.

Good decision Mike. Like you I`d reject that on aesthetics, but also you`ve got to wonder what that frame was doing out, getting knocked around.... That`s a rather crucial area of the frame to take a blow like that without having a headset in there to give the carbon some support.... Or is this a used a frame?

I just ordered a jacket and compression top from Sigma Sports - they deal Cervelo. Have you tried them? Prices on other goods are great.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk

Thanks for the link, although a bit pricey at that place. I'll wait and see if they have any other frames. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Update: they are looking to see if they have another one in stock. If not they will refund my credit card. More updates to come.....bet your all gonna be glued to your computers watching this play out, NOT:D

So I ask if couldn`t I just borrow his for a second, to tighten just one bolt? He agrees, for a 200 yen charge.

David, I can't believe they charged you for using their wrench! Really sorry to hear that. Over the years, my positive experiences outweighed the (few) negative issues I have had with them. I have befriended their mechanic, and he knows exactly what I and my rigs need. And it is close to where I live. However, I usually buy my components and parts at Nalsima (cheaper!). I guess you can't have everything in one place.

So after several weeks totalcycling.com sent me an e-mail telling me Soloist frame is being shipped out today, but it has a chip in the frame, see pic below, and they will give me a 100 pound discount. It's right where I'll see it every ride so I said no thanks! What do you lads think? Am I making the right decision?

Right decision, Mike! I ordered two frames from Excel Sports in Boulder, they have a lot of closeout sales: good communication and swift delivery.

Thanks for the link, although a bit pricey at that place. I'll wait and see if they have any other frames. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Update: they are looking to see if they have another one in stock. If not they will refund my credit card. More updates to come.....bet your all gonna be glued to your computers watching this play out, NOT:D

Mike,

I can sell you my Cervelo Soloist SLC-SL 54". Excellent condition. Only ridden for 6 months. Too small for me and upgraded to a 56". You'll save heaps of money and can spend the money on parts.

Have a look here:
https://tokyocycle.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/56/cat/1

A car pulled in front of me on the 54" and I hit it breaking the recalled forks only. Not a scratch on the bike and it did not even hit the ground. However, the insurance paid for a new bike so up-sized to 56". A brand new stock headset is included. Will take a reasonable offer. You are more than welcome to come and take a look. I live in Tsutsujigaoka on the Keio line. PM me or catch me on Skype at tokyodanny and will give you my email and phone number.

Danny

Thanks for the offer Danny, just not my colour;)

Totalcycling is awesome!

This was my last purchase of many from this company! I don't know how in the hell they can sell the products so cheap. IRA must be hijacking the trucks enroute to there destination! LOL I also bought my Dura Ace 7800 groupset there about a year ago. They are legit! Now I am looking at the Dura Ace 7900 gruppo as soon as the full line-up becomes available on their site. View attachment 374

Total Cycling have been Total CR#P for me.
I ordered a bunch of stuff, they debited my credit card. Never replied to my questions about deliver and stock. 3 weeks later a box arrives with some of the order missing and a note to say that my credit card had been credited with a refund. Some parts were still missing and unrefunded. Numerous emails unanswered later they tell me the missing parts would be sent out that day.
That was January 8th.
Still waiting.....
No reply to 3 emails asking if the goods have been dispatched!
Called their office 5 times during office hours but always get the same "call back later message"

Wouldn`t go near them with a barge pole!

Wiggle. You have a new customer!

No problems

I have ordered a lot of things from totalcycling.com and received everything without any issues. This is one of my top ordering sites!

Freeride

I was looking at the wiggle.co.uk site and it blew me away at how cheap stuff was on their site. I kept wondering, is this for real. You are telling me I can get 09 SIDIs for half of what I will pay for in the states? Man, sign me up. I usually shop through competitive cyclist because they give military a 10% discount, which worked great for my ridely complete setup. But for all my other needs I have no problem propping up the British economy with a little of my own economic stimulus. Check out how much the price difference is for the Garmin 705, man I almost choked.

Curious when you have ordered do you have it sent to an APO address or your Japanese address?

James

I suppose I should fill everyone in about my experience with Total Cycling.com. They should be called TotallySlowCycling.com. They take days, even weeks to answer e-mails.

Once they sent me the pictures of the chipped frame I canceled my order as they didn't have any other frames in stock. It took about a month and god knows how many e-mails to get them to respond. It was only after Philip's suggestion of telling them that i was going to contact mastercard that they actually promptly replied. They refunded all of money but it was certainly a hassle to get them to actually do it.

Will never buy anything from them again:mad:

Online shops

Here's my experience with online shops which I had to deal with for my orders so far:

competitivecyclist.com
2 orders, one of which I cancelled, very good and responsive, answered all of my e-mails, fast shipping, had no problems at all

chainreactioncycles.com
1 order, some of their deals are VERY good (sale season), no problems, fast shipping

speedgoat.com
1 order, which came to me slightly damaged (paint and scratches), so I contacted them upon receiving it - they responded very quickly, offered me a $ compensation (which I opted for) or to send the order back for exchange.

universalcycles.com
1 order (<50$), fast responsive, considering my minor order, answered all my e-mails, even duplicates.

worldcycle.co.jp Japanese shop (Osaka)
1 order. Good prices, good service. No credit card payment.

worldcycling.com
1 order... 2 weeks ago.. They did not even ship it yet, never responded to any of my e-mails. Every time I call them, they keep telling me that it's ready to ship "today or tomorrow" (called 2 times this week. Everytime - the same answer) :mad:

Freeride

I was looking at the wiggle.co.uk site and it blew me away at how cheap stuff was on their site. I kept wondering, is this for real. You are telling me I can get 09 SIDIs for half of what I will pay for in the states? Man, sign me up. I usually shop through competitive cyclist because they give military a 10% discount, which worked great for my ridely complete setup. But for all my other needs I have no problem propping up the British economy with a little of my own economic stimulus. Check out how much the price difference is for the Garmin 705, man I almost choked.

James

I've been going through exactly the same emotions with Wiggle. The fact that you can get an Assos short sleeve jersey for 5000 yen (possibly three times this price in a Japanese cycling shop); an Edge 705 for less than 4 man - Japanese online retailers must be really suffering if they are against this sort of competition.

I've now ordered a few things there including the Edge itself. In both cases I've used them it's has taken a week for things to arrive and any communication with them has been on the day.

I'm very satisfied with the overall level of service, and the prices.

Just made a very large purchase at Wiggle as the exchange rate is hard to resist. Most of the DA 7900 group (LBS has BB and chain cheaper???), wheels, tyres etc for a build.

Let's see how it goes.

I bought a few month ago a cervelo frame set to a french dealer for 120,000 yens (1000 euro). At this time, Y's (tokyo bike shop) was offering a special discount of 35% on the same model 255,000 yen:rolleyes:. it was even worse for my Cosmic 2009 wheels.

Thierry

Cervelo

is getting very fashionable these days...almost infectious:) Good to read you're getting serious about cycling again;) Terry Boy! When will you be rolling again? Coming with us to Kusatsu?

BTW...what happened to the CANYON?

I bought a few month ago a cervelo frame set to a french dealer for 120,000 yens (1000 euro). At this time, Y's (tokyo bike shop) was offering a special discount of 35% on the same model 255,000 yen:rolleyes:. it was even worse for my Cosmic 2009 wheels.

Thierry

Back
Top Bottom