What's new

Tossing out an overnighter idea that may happen

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I am gauging interest if anyone would be keen to join, however I am not sure it will happen...

A friend and I are contemplating a slow roll from Zushi to Shuzenji later this fall or winter. It is only 100km, but with a loaded bike, the climb to Hakone will slightly suck.

Shuzenji is the home to Baird Brewery... this is the goal. Then camping followed by a slow roll home the next day. We intend to stop anywhere we have never been and feel like exploring. So if interested, it is reasonable to just meet us at the brewery if you are not into the exploring part.

"I know a guy" that has some land out there that has let us camp before. With enough notice and if schedules align... it can happen again.

I plan to take my fargo and load it down with camping gear and clothes. As we get closer, possibly add some food as well. (the brewery sells beer only... they welcome you to bring food).

***If it happens****
The earliest it can happen is November. My first free weekend is in the middle of November and the Mrs might want to just relax.

very possible. I am just talking to the wife about it and she has reminded me I am racing the first week of Nov and Dec. I will be in Hakuba next week and we have a couple of holidays mixed in. She wasn't saying no, but rather "when"??

I'm very much up for a weekend of beer & adventure.
Would we need to bring our own tents? Never ever bikepacked before but I'm sure things'll work out.

Yep. Basically the camping spot is just a field by a river. So whatever you need, you need to bring.

If you want to get set up with some bags and don't have a full on touring bike... check this out:
http://altbikes.jugem.jp/?cid=28

You may be able to camp at the brewery as well. Bryan has been talking about setting up a proper campground attached there for some time. There is space for people to camp, but its not up to "Japanese standards" for a campground yet. Any westerner who's bikepacked or has done any non-car camping would be perfectly fine though.
I'd love to join, but going to be basically booked out every weekend till next year.

Chris is in charge of the grounds at the brewery.
They do not have insurance for camping and while it has been on their radar for over 2 years, it is still "legally" not a campground.

Did not know that. Was wondering why they hadn't opened it officially yet. Some Japanese hasher friends of mine did camp out there earlier this year though.

That is hush/hush and prearranged. They will need staff to stay on site all night, so someone has to be willing to camp out with you. They helps them with liability.

Back
Top Bottom