What's new

Help Tonegawa Cycling Road

jonokun

Warming-Up
Jun 16, 2011
Is it true that Tonegawa's cycling path extends from Edogawa to the Pacific ocean? I am looking to take a couple days to travel this and would like to know what I am getting myself in to. Your help would be appreciated.

Jonathan Scott

Is it true that Tonegawa's cycling path extends from Edogawa to the Pacific ocean?
Welcome to the forums, Jonathan.

No.

The Tonegawa Cycling Road stops a little way before the Pacific - you have to ride through the streets of Choshi to get down to the beach.

But it extends further upstream than the branching of the Edogawa. I've ridden it as far as Watarase. It probably goes further than that.

--Mike--

There is also a section at the 100km mark (Noda Golf course) that you have to get off and onto the roads... from that point to the golf course in Abiko where route six crosses.. the country rice paddy road is pretty dangerous. Basically you have about 5km of negotiating the roads till you get back to the path.

Thank you very much all for the information. I'm preparing my bike for the trip and getting the supplies necessary. I will look around the equipment forum for info on panniers and the like.

Thanks again!
Jonahan

Funny, I thought there was an equipment area. ;) Does anyone have a suggestion for places to look for and buy panniers and other equipment. About the best place I know of is Seo Cycle at Harumi, but don't recall seeing any panniers there. I live in Edogawa-ku, so anywhere between the center of Tokyo and Edogawa is ideal.

Jonathan

Im actually planning a 3 day trip of this exact ride for Obon.

The tonegawa cycling road extends to shibukawa. It does go a little further up the agatsuma canyon I think, but I have yet to ride it.

Edogawa-Choshi....

Hi,
I did it in Golden Week 2010.
Very flat....thank God!
I found this site to be a huge help:
http://www9.plala.or.jp/tourjapan/index.html
I would definitely recommend this tour.
Basically it's a riverside course except for some parts where you have to go on the road.The last part,Choshi is very urban but the traffic is spartan.
You can pitch your tent wherever you want along the river,nobody will bother you.
The best part for me was pitching my tent under the flightpath to Narita(No flights after 10~11 PM) and watching them coming in with headlights blazing with a beer in hand.Simply awesome.
I hope you have a great time.

IIRC, heading toward Agatsuma you get a sidewalk not a CR but I've only driven that. From Shibukawa to Numata I recommend getting on Rt 255 which is on the opposite side to busy Rt 17. Great views. Riding up to Fukiware Falls is a must. If you want to reduce the climb on Rt 120 a bit then take Rt 62 and Rt 257 for a nice quieter ride that cuts off ~200m elevation.

Back
Top Bottom