What's new

Tone River - Sat Dec 11th

Phil

Maximum Pace
Sep 1, 2007
Scandiman (Frode) and I were thinking of doing a moderate to brisk run up and down the Tone River and would love the company if interested.

Where: Sakura JR, South Exit
When: Saturday 11th, 8:15 AM (could also make it an hour later, if preferred)
What: Brisk road bike ride. Warm up to the Tone, then casual pacelining on the mostly empty river path. Not quite as fast as Travis' ET1&2 rides but still reasonably quick. About 130km. Lunch at Sawara.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/chiba/220129137519777129

Past the Inbanuma Lakes to the Tone, upstream a bit, then downstream to Sawara. If we have time we can check out the old buildings of downtown Sawara and/or head further downstream to the next bridge. Finally, back upstream then return to Sakura by a different route than we went out.

No climbing at all, but possibility of strong headwinds one way or another. One of the nicer river routes in Kanto, and certainly the least trafficked.

Should be back by 3 pm to 4 pm.

I would like to join... I hope it won't be too fast for a beginner.

I am a bit far away to do the entire loop, but I want to join you for the top part. I will check out the route, and your times, and propose a time to latch on.

Cheers

should be ok for me

I should be able to make it as long as work does not change. If you don't mind I might catch you at the Tone rather than at the station .Anybody that wishes to shorten up the ride a bit can meet me in Narita and we can catch them on the way down the River.
Thanks for organising Phil

Badar > Will be great to have you along! If you are worried about pace, best thing to do would be to bring a map and make sure you can find your own way back to the station should we get split up; we will regroup at bridges etc if we get strung out, but we do want to keep on schedule and be back at the station in a decent time.

Owen, David > Assuming we roll out of the station by 8:30, conservative schedule would be:

9:30 AM at the toll bridge
9:45 AM at the upstream turnaround
10:30 AM at the Rt 408 bridge

...maybe? Looking forward to seeing you both.

All right!

I'm in for this one, too.
However, I'll be catching the Hokuso-line and getting off at Inba-Nihon-idai station, so I'll meet you at the "Inba P.O." corner, 13km (8 1/2 miles) out of Sakura at 9:00.
From there, I can stick with you for most of the ride, until we cross back over the river on Rte.408 (the 59-mile marker on your map).

From there, I'll head directly home along the Tone-River cycling road, and at the same time, reconnoiter the "canal" CR that cuts between the Tonegawa & Edogawa rivers.
Hopefully, I can get through on this Map.

Thanks for organizing, Phil.
See you there! T

reconnoiter the "canal" CR that cuts between the Tonegawa & Edogawa rivers.
Unga ("The Canal") is definitely navigable by bike, Travis. It's a nice ride - so long as the wind cooperates! Last time I was out that way there was some mighty construction happening on the lower levee near the Tonegawa end; probably budget-absorbing flood defenses.

--HF Mike--

Great!

Glad you can make it Travis, will see you at that intersection, hopefully around 8:45-ish or so.

Re: upstream exploration, as I think I was saying before, the Tone path gets a bit tricky north of our turnaround bridge. It disappears on both sides (at least, this was the case 1 or 2 years ago when I did my one and only reconnoiter that way). I had to drop down to the roads and occasionally double back as some of the smaller roads disappeared into gravel then fields. Pete might have better info...

Cheers!

Unga ("The Canal") is definitely navigable by bike, Travis. It's a nice ride - so long as the wind cooperates! Last time I was out that way there was some mighty construction happening on the lower levee near the Tonegawa end; probably budget-absorbing flood defenses.
--HF Mike--

Thanks Mike,
What I really wanted to know though, was should I stay on the northern side, or southern side of the canal?
Is one side wider than the other? In better condition? etc.
T

Hey Phil,

Good to meet you the other night at the Bonenkai, I've got to work this Saturday now so won't be able to make the Tone ride after all.

Hope to get back out there and catch up with you guys soon,

Andrew

Andrew > Sorry you can't make it. Maybe the next Boso ride, eh?

Haven't mentioned trains yet, but for those to Sakura JR, the JR快速エアポート成田・成田空港行 (JR Kaisoku Airport Narita) is probably the best bet, as you avoid having to change at Chiba. Arrives Sakura at 8:11.

Is there any contact I can use if necessary after arriving at the Sakura JR station? How to find everyone else?

Badar, it's a small station, so just come out the south exit and look for foreigners with bikes. As of right now, there will be 4 of us I think meeting at the station.

sat

Still no extra work for me so 95% sure will be there . Looking forward to ride. I will meet you at the Convieny at the end of 12 Phil.
Otherwise I will just catch you up, hahaha

Been busy at work for the last few days (believe it or not).

Give me a day or two to work the meeting points out, etc, to see if it is a go or not.

So, if I come from Saitama, am I going to be meeting you in the opposite direction?

My rough plan was to ride the top part with you, then chill / sleep / get picked up by my bird / go partying near Kasumigaura Lake...

Okay, so I think it goes like this (let me know if I'm forgetting anyone!)

1. JR Sakura Eki at 8:11
Frode, Badar, Rommel and Phil meet up. We roll out 8:30 *latest*

2. Inbanuma Post Office at 8:50 (Rts 65/12 junction) we pick up
Travis

3. At the combini at the top end of Rt 12 we'll meet (9:00 AM)
David
(Quick stop here; last chance for food until Sawara at lunch time)

4. We hit the Tone and head upstream to arrive at 9:30-9:45 AM at the Rt 4 bridge where we will meet
Owen (and possibly Pete)

(Owen, we'll be coming up the south bank, crossing the bridge, then heading downstream on the north bank, so meet somewhere near the bridge?)

At this point, the group will be complete and we head downstream to Sawara. Various riders will peel off at different points on the way back.

As we do have a schedule to stick to, this WILL be a drop ride (albeit moderately paced) so make sure you're ready with maps etc. Should be easy to stick together though, dead flat the whole way.

Final confirm tomorrow evening after weather check. Looking forward to it!

post ride beer

Will we be doing a post ride wind down with a few beers at Sakura?

Back
Top Bottom