What's new

Tomin no Mori / Okutama-ko slow climb

Holy crap it's still dark out there.... :eek:

Stu, I'll be leaving the house in a few minutes.

It's about 40 km from that Lawson to Musashi-Itsukaichi. I think I will take maybe just over two hours to get out there, then I want to rest before the superhero team arrives :)

Thanks everyone for a great morning ride, I got a total of 94Km on the clock by the time I got back to Shinjuku, only a bit late :eek:

I'm sure you are all still out suffering in the mountains!

When I have some time later, I'll post some pic!

Joe, you are a hero! :cool:

Joe,

I hope the ride was pleasant today. I was really tempted to join you but couldn't swing the day off and my current fitness probably has me at about 100 km max. Hopefully, there will be another ride out to those parts at some point soon, as I'm really keen to hit some climbs and explore that territory. Please let us know how the ride unfolded.

Tom

I ended up doing another 8.5 Km of deliveries today to put me over 100Km for the day :D and my legs feel it too!

My pics from the meet up point at Musashiitsukaichi station (try saying that train station name fast five times!)

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

I can't wait to hear the ride reports!

Cheers!

Alan, Naomi, Dave, Takaaki and I pushed on after reaching Tomin no Mori and completed the loop, arriving in Takao just after 4pm. We had a bit of adventure mid-ride because we lost Takaaki, or rather he lost us. Somewhere near Kosuge he somehow took a wrong turn and "decided" to do Matsuhime Toge instead of Tsuru Toge that the rest of us did. At that point we thought that that would be the last we saw of him for the day, but... interestingly enough not long after Alan, Naomi, Dave and I sat down at Mos Burger at Takao Station, I got a call from Takaaki asking where were at. I told and reported that he was just on the other side of the station, and that he'd be joining us in just a minute. So the Fab 5 was reunited! After a quick bite, we all hopped the Chuo Rapid back to Tokyo. Great ride!

As for stats, I ended up with 105km with 2300m of climbing today. I'm officially spent!

Although we ended up separating, a big thank you to Joe for setting up the ride!

Thanks joe for organizing this.:)
It was a very beautiful day for cycling in the mountains.

You succeeded to organize 3 different rides in one day.

I led the third group and I was the only participant.:eek:uch:
http://app.strava.com/rides/5460494

The road condition of Matsuhime-toge was very nice, free of snow, no debris.
I don't like descending but the wide and well maintained road gave me enough confidence to descend at decent speed.:bike:

I'll post some pics later.

Takaaki

Some pictures from the tour today

Andreas and Ed at a conbini stop along R7:
IMG_1981.JPG

At Musashi-Itsukaichi:
IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

On the way up - Max:
IMG_1986.JPG

On the way up - Ed, Joe, Andreas:
IMG_1988.JPG

Made it!
IMG_1991.JPG

On the pass before heading down to Lake Okutama:
IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

Sansai Soba for lunch:
IMG_1997.JPG

More climbing on the way to Uenohara:
IMG_2000.JPG

Hi Pete,

we didn't finish the full planned course because we ran out of time (several of us had to be back in Tokyo at a certain time), so we bike-bagged it back from Uenohara as the closest station from R18 after Tsuru pass.

Here is my actual route in two Strava uploads (I used two different phones to record):

Tokyo to Tomin no Mori:
http://app.strava.com/rides/5464772

Tomin no Mori to Uenohara:
http://app.strava.com/rides/5456198

I am now officially in the Strava score list for the final 20.4 km to Tomin no Mori, as 26th out of 26. As I had promised: "slow climb", but I cycled every metre, thanks to low gears.

Pete & friends, thank you for leading us up from the station before you took off at your proper pace :) I feel honoured that you super athletes joined the ride.

I have more people to thank for:
  • Jose (Jayves) for suggesting Tomin no Mori for my next training ride after our 227 km Machida-Yamanako loop
  • Max for patiently sticking with me all the way from Musashi-Itsukaichi to Tomin no Mori after spotting us at a Starbucks on the way out. I greatly enjoyed your company and our chat!
  • Stu for his last minute decision to join us for the ride out to Musashi-Itsukaichi. It's always a pleasure to ride with you. Let's do another long ride together when you have the time!
  • Ed and Andreas who were great riding buddies from the start to the end and very easy to be with.

Hi Pete,

we didn't finish the full planned course because we ran out of time (several of us had to be back in Tokyo at a certain time, so we bike-bagged it back from Uenohara as the closest station from R18 after Tsuru pass.

Hey, doing Tomin no Mori and Tsuru Toge is nothing to sneeze at. Making it all the way to Uenohara is a pretty significant accomplishment!

BTW, just curious, what time did you get to the station there? Was it still light out?

That was a great route, thanks Joe. I got about 180kms in with the ride out and back from Aoba ku. Got back just after night fall.

It was good meeting you all.

My legs are still very tired.

Good luck with your Brevet!

Dave

BTW, just curious, what time did you get to the station there? Was it still light out?

We got there well before sunset. I think it was about 17:20 when we rolled up to Uenohara station, after shopping for oversize gomibukuro as an improptu bike bag at a local supermarket.

Joe,

Thanks for organizing ''Tomin no mori ride'' yesterday.
It was fun to see new/old TCC guys as always.

PS: I like your handmade two-fingerless gloves ;)

See you next time
Naomi:)

Back
Top Bottom