What's new

Tomin No Mori novice ride

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
I'll lead out a novice ride to Tomin No Mori this coming weekend if anyone is interested. Sat or Sun. leaving from Shinjuku area then continue up on Itsukaiichi Dori, then Tomin No Mori, then back. I like to leave early - especially in the summer - by 0700 latest. Sat is probably best for me.

Please:

1) Be cool with moderate pace on the flats up to 30kph.
2) Don't overpack - just carry a bottle or 2, necessary accessories. Lots of conbinis along the way to restock. (No panniers, 10kg tailbags, etc).

This is a somewhat challenging ride of more than 100km (for most people), but you can bail out (or in) at Itsukaiichi Station and just enjoy the ascent and descent from the summit.

If less than 3 or 4 people are interested - then I'll probably ride somewhere else - not sure yet.

I'd love to go, but I've go more on my plate than I can handle at the moment.:eek:uch:

Incidentally - I'll have 2 demo bikes available for full day test ride:

1) Neil Pryde Diablo - 51cm (fit people between 165 - 180) Full Dura Ace groupset w/50mm Carbon tubular wheels. This is a 'dream bike' build if you want to taste what a real Pro Tour type bike rides like, this is it.

2) My Carbon 'Team Bike' which is a 48cm and can fit people between 155 - 170 pretty comfortably. Tiagra / Microshift group with compact crankset and Shimano road wheels.

Looks like Saturday is the best day for me to do this.

Is this a good ride for me to notch up my first 100km?

This Sat I'm busy in the eve so can't join but I 2nd doin it 8/6 (hopefully can clear my schedule so I have the whole day free).

Some riders may prefer to return to Tokyo by station, so there's a convenient bailout point (or entry point) at Itsukaiichi station. We will make a brief stop there to either gather or leave off riders. The full RT is about 140km depending on where you actually start / return from. Only the portion from Itsukaiichi Sation to top of Tomin No Mori is sloped - the rest is pretty much flat , or just very slight incline.

it looks like i'll be able to get a pass from kid watching this saturday so i'd like to join this ride from the station. just to make sure, we're talking about musashi-itsukaichi station on the JR itsukaichi line, right? what time do you expect to be rolling through the station?

That other station is in Hiroshima so the above station must be correct.

I did two days of 60km back to back last Sat/Sun and still hurt (haha) so I guess I gotta work my way up to 140 km first.

About how far from the station to the summit?

My guess is that Tim's talking about Musashi Itsukaichi station. If so, suggest folks meet up at the bakery next to the station (turn left out of station, go past the bus stops - about 40 m from station exit). Tim - sound right with you?

From the station, the ride to Tommin no Mori is about 30 km and about 800-850 m of vertical. Rise is very gradual for first 17 km. Scenery is beautiful

On way back... folks taking train back and who might be interested in an onsen might check out Setono Yu onsen. Its about 4km from the station - super spot.

That station's 2.5 hours from here but if it happens on Sat 8/6 I'm in.

Since it's in the mountains what's the weather compared to Tokyo?
Must be cooler there, do you need a windbreaker?

Tommin no mori is at 1000m elevation so it is a bit cooler.. Last weekend, the temp differential was just about 6 degrees C and sun was out - so felt nice all around w/o breaker (i.e, 27/28 C at the station and 21C at turnaround/highest point). There's chance of some spotty rain for Sat, and this may contribute more on temp differential. I ride hot, but do recommend a windbreaker or even an large trash bag (to put under jersey) for people who get cold. The descent is a really screamer and its alot more fun if you're not cold/rigid - especially when braking.

FYI biking out from Tokyo to Mushashi Itsukaichi is a 2:00-3:00 hr journey (depending on if you stop/rest, take roads vs river path)

Hello -

1) Plan is to roll from Tokyo Opera City by 0700. (35.68181, 139.68792)

2) It is about 50km to the Musashi -Itsukaichi Station. Based on 20kph avg (our last ride) this means total ride time is 2.5hr, plus an additional 30min for 2 stops along the way we made - so expected arrival at Musashi Itsukaichi is 10.00. This is a novice ride so I will keep the pace about this to avoid any left behinds. However - if you cannot keep pace at 20-35kph, then perhaps this ride will be too aggressive for you.

3) After brief stop at the station - then we'll proceed up the mountain. There are several WATT (Wait At The Top ) locations to regroup - or, if anyone prefers they can just continue the climb to the rest area at the top.

4) We'll eat something at the rest area (1hr max, please) , then regroup and descend back to the station. From there anyone is welcome to either ride back to Tokyo or rinko by train.

5) General 'rules':
- No more than 1 stop per hour at no more than 10min. This matches basically a 500ml /hr hydration schedule - meaning you should be drinking at least 500ml / hr and then a quick stop to refresh. This is a good habit for novice riders to get into.

- Be prepared with your own spare tube, patchkit and pump. And please know how to use it.

- Don't overpack. The more you carry, the harder it is. Novice riders tend to overpack and thus even struggle harder on the slopes they are trying to conquer! At most you will need only a waterbottle, spare tire kit , sunblock, small towel and perhaps a very light windbreaker for the descent. Wear cycling specific clothing including helmet and get your sunblock applied before you leave the door. No helmet, No ride!

- I would prefer that everyone on the ride has some kind of 3rd party liability insurance. If you don't this time - it's fine, but please get it. Either the 'TS-Mark' or something like that.

- I usually take a look at everyone's bike, if I spot something that is radically unsafe, I may ask you to belay the ride. Don't take it personally, I just don't want any unnecessary accidents happening.

- We'll adhere as much as possible to the standard 'light vehicle' rules of the road except in very obvious and safe exceptions where slipping a red light may be warranted. This means in general, ride on the road and follow the same rules as the cars.

That's about it!

I'm totally down for Sunday. I'll probably solo it Sunday if you all decide to go on Sat, so if anyone else is interested, speak up! (But if you can, Go with GSAstuto's group. He'll make you work harder :) )

Oh, do break out the whip!;)

Sounds good and well organized!

I hope I can make it the next time.

A very tempting ride! Might just jump into your group at Itsukaichi. Whether I can join or not very much depends on Friday's workload...
Don't wait for me if I'm not there at 10AM.

not going to be able to make it out tomorrow. looks like a good route, though, and i'll be doing it next time i head out west to ride.

Tim - i think myself and up to 4 people will most likely join. Some are asking about meeting at 7/11 next to Y's Fuchu. Can we call a rest stop there - say 8:15?

Back
Top Bottom