What's new

Tomin no Mori and Okutama-ko loop ride

patrick.yodar

Speeding Up
Jun 9, 2011
I wanted to do Tim's Tomin No Mori ride last weekend but wasn't able to make it out so I'm going to try a shorter version of that ride this coming Saturday morning.

>>Route Here<<

I plan to start from Musashi-Itsukaichi station at around 9:00 and loop around Okutama-ko and back to the station to finish. Except for the climbing section where I'll be going SLOW, I'd like to keep the pace fairly brisk but not fast. I expect that the duration of the ride will be somewhere between 3:30 or 4 hours.

In general I'd prefer whoever joins be willing to ride as a group except for the main climb which will be WATT. As I'll be heading out early I don't plan on stopping for a meal at the rest area so plan on having lunch after the ride is over.

There's only one large climb on the route and over half the distance is the descent, so this should be pretty easy, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're already comfortable with rides in the 60km+ range.

Bring whatever tools you need to repair a flat in addition to a helmet.

Hey Patrick, I'll be happy to join you on that one - it's a beautiful ride, but I've only ever done it the other way round. I'll break off and continue home (Koenji) once we hit the 73km mark. Weather forecast says chance of rain, but it's not like you're cold and wet this time of year so who cares.
Chris.

awesome. the current forecast for tomorrow says it won't be raining out west until the afternoon, so we may have a good chance of staying dry.

Patrick, I'd like to join this time.
"Oku-musashi madness" is also tempting, but after a busy week like this, I think your plan seems to suit me better.

Haven't decided yet whether to rinko or to ride all the way to Itsukaichi....

I'll be going out by train. I'm thinking about getting of a station or 2 before musashi-itsukaichi to warm up, but most likely i'll be running late and need to stay on the train to make it to the meeting point on time.

thanks for making it out today, guys! I really enjoyed the ride and it was good that we managed to stick together until I broke off at ome to head back to musashi-itsukaichi. hopefully we'll meet up again on a different ride sometime soon.

Indeed, thanks for being great company Patrick and Eugen. Apologies for being a bit of an anchor on the ascent, but I had a great ride and had 120km on the clock by the time I made it home (thankfully it remained cloudy all the way back, which kept the temperature at a humane level).

Chris.

Thank you, Patrick and Chris, you've been a great company!
I'm also thankful for the rain, I think it kept us from heat stroke.

I've just finished washing everything, and haven't looked into the ride data yet.
I'm guessing my ride distance today was somewhere around 220km... this would be my longest ride in a single day (so far).

Cheers,
Eugen

here's the ride data from my garmin. I'm pretty sure my top speed was the fastest. real top speed probably wasn't faster than about 56km/h.

Sorry - fixed it. Luckily I can still have reasonable sustained climbing power. But I can feel the drop in cardio efficiency alot as I get older. Getting old kinda sucks - but I'm a smarter rider now and conserve my power better. Mainly due to lots of fixedgear riding.

Your Garmin link is locked.

I hit 181 on a ride around the palace...... and I'm not that young either, not as old as Tim, but much fatter :eek: :D

Yesterday, my garmin had occasional "freeze" that I had to reset it... result: the data section of okutama loop was completely missing.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104364759

Actual route looks like this. 225km with total climb of 2530m.

This time I took the Chofu-Fuchu-Shin Okutama Hwy route to avoid crowded saturday tamagawa, but this was also not a nice route. Narrow street + lots of traffic lights = veeery stressful.
Could anyone please suggest a better route??

Getting old kinda sucks - but I'm a smarter rider now and conserve my power better. Mainly due to lots of fixedgear riding.

But you are not suggesting that FG in itself is a smart way of saving power, are you? :rolleyes:

Could anyone please suggest a better route??

Just take the roads right next to the Tamagawa cycling path. Unfortunately there is no smart road out to Akishima/Fussa.

I still take the Tamagawa cycling path as a rule, because the roads are not faster - more bends and traffic lights.

When you head out to Hashimoto, you can take the One Kan, a road with wide shoulders and moderate traffic in the mornings, and some nice rollers.

Not at all. Just that by riding fixed gear, I am able to manage my power much better and have broader torque range simply due to the fact that I train my muscles over a wider range of use than the average freewheel rider.

But you are not suggesting that FG in itself is a smart way of saving power, are you? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom