What's new

Tokyo-Zushi-Tokyo Ride-Swim-Ride

EricinIkebukuro

Speeding Up
Jan 30, 2011
I did this last year and it was tons of fun and really good exercise. I want to ride from Tokyo to Zushi. Go for a 30 minute to 1 hour swim and then ride back to Tokyo. My main question is: does anyone know if the water temperature in Zushi is bearable at this time of year? I see surfers in the water but they have wet suits on.

Looking at the weather forecast I plan on going Saturday when the rain supposedly stops. If it is sunny on Thursday or Friday I will go then as well if my work doesn't interfere. I plan to leave from Yoyogi at 7:30 and take the 1 down to Yokohama. From there I will use the James Machin Minura Peninsula route but I will cut over the middle of the peninsula to save on time and get to Zushi by 10:00-10:30. Swim, eat, and then head back either the same way I came or go to Kamakura and take the 1 all the way back.

If anyone wants to attempt this crazy biathlon with me, please feel free. I am going to be carrying a bag with my swim gear so I won't be going terribly fast.... just fast :p

Will come, I am not sure what is James route ,but the fastes to zushi is from gotanda on daini ( its a nice 4 lane ) when daichi is a murder on sat with all the tracks.... to yokohama and then cut thru yokosuka, takes about 2h 30 min if we keep approx 30 km /h
Not gonna swim but will be glad to join and do few run loops meanwhile.
mail me at [email protected]

I did this last year and it was tons of fun and really good exercise. I want to ride from Tokyo to Zushi. Go for a 30 minute to 1 hour swim and then ride back to Tokyo. My main question is: does anyone know if the water temperature in Zushi is bearable at this time of year? I see surfers in the water but they have wet suits on.

The water temps, I'd imagine to be around 18-19 degrees. Report today was 19 degrees in the water in the Shonan area. 19 degrees is very swimable without a wetsuit. Will be rather fresh though. The rain during the week might lift the water temp a little. But at least some decent air temps and humidity in the last few days. Shouldn't be too cold.

Alas, I still don't have a bike (awaiting delivery) so I'm kinda tempted to join for the swim only...if I'm feeling brave enough. I signed up for a baby aquathlon (open water swim and run) in June.
Every time I swim in Shonan waters though (Zushi and Miura), I break out into a major body rash.

The water temps, I'd imagine to be around 18-19 degrees. Report today was 19 degrees in the water in the Shonan area. 19 degrees is very swimable without a wetsuit. Will be rather fresh though.

Rather fresh...?!?!?

The pool I use is normally 28.5, sometimes 29.

19 will cause some severe shivering, uh..., shriveling. :eek:

Looking at the weather forecast I plan on going Saturday when the rain supposedly stops. If it is sunny on Thursday or Friday I will go then as well if my work doesn't interfere. I plan to leave from Yoyogi at 7:30 and take the 1 down to Yokohama. From there I will use the James Machin Minura Peninsula route but I will cut over the middle of the peninsula to save on time and get to Zushi by 10:00-10:30. Swim, eat, and then head back either the same way I came or go to Kamakura and take the 1 all the way back.

If anyone wants to attempt this crazy biathlon with me, please feel free. I am going to be carrying a bag with my swim gear so I won't be going terribly fast.... just fast :p

The route you are looking at suck, HUGE BIG TIME, I know, I've done it twice. Once in early October on a Saturday night, I started out at 8PM (cooler!) and on this last January 1st. The October run, even though it was at night was car and truck filled, you NEVER get out of the city, NEVER, it is city riding stop light to stop light the whole stinking way. Last July timedesuyo and I went down on a different route, you can see that thread >> Here << while there is of course still some city riding it was a LOT better than the #1 route.

>> Here << is the route we took basically, I'm sure we veered off here and there.

Of course, YMMV :D

Stu, I have taken both R1 (Daini-keihin) and R15 down from central Tokyo to downtown Yokohama. I've not compared all sections on both routes, but at least from Minato-ku to Kawasaki I have done both and found R1 much better than R15.

Basically, on R15 I often found myself with two lanes each way which were full of cars and trucks, whereas R1 there were three lanes each way and the slow lane was mostly available for slower vehicles such as bicycles, small motorbikes, etc. Because of that R1 was much less stressful than R15 for me.

It could have been pure chance of course and maybe at other times the experience would be different, but on 3 trip so far R1 was much better than say, R246, R20, Kannana (318) and Kanpachi (R311), just to name a few of my disliked major highways in my neck of the woods.

I did this kind of thing a few times from Aoba ku down to Enoshima. It was great. I'll do it again this summer, too.

Saturday is out for me though. I'm sure there'll be another chance sometime though.

For me, the Kugenuma kaigan beach at Enoshima has better water than at Enoshima itself, I had to wash my shorts twice to get the dead fish smell out of them. It was crowded too. Kugenuma kaigan left my shorts smelling a little more like they always did after swimming in NZ, salty. Kugenuma Kaigan beach stretches all the way to Chigasaki, too.

Dave

I find route 1 at 7:30 in the morning to be quite alright if you are heading out of Tokyo. At night, that is a different story so I have decided I will try Stu's river route on the return trip.

And Dave is right. I have swam at Kugenuma Kaigan and they have a nice (cleaner) beach with beach house for changing and what not. Swimming there may be a better choice.

This is the route I will use taking the Yokohama side in the morning. If you are still up for joining me, I would be glad to have the company. Meeting area can be anywhere along the route. I will be leaving from Yoyogi Uehara station at 7:15 so I can hit the 1 by 7:30.

Oh so you decided to go Daini? Will join you for sure then!

I have real traumatic experience on the route 1 almost getting run over by a huge car carrier track and having a deer in the headlights effect....

After looking at the water temps from previous years, it looks like it will be too cold to get in a good swim without freezing to death. I'm going to be canceling my plans to go south this weekend. I'm sorry to inconvenience anyone!

Back
Top Bottom