What's new

Tokyo to Shimoda, looking for advice

Mapalagi

Warming-Up
May 2, 2014
Hey happy golden week!
First time poster.

I want to leave Monday morning from around shibuya and want to end up in shimoda, by Friday. Any route is totally fine. I want to bring my tent and sleeping bag to camp along the way. I do 50-70km rides on the weekends but want to do my first several day trip. I'm riding a giant defy and got a rack set up in the back.
Main questions are...
1 what would the best route(s) be? I love the ocean so preferably a nice route where I can see the water.
2 best way to find campsites or at least anywhere to pitch a tent (I've also got a hammock that's super quick to set up)
3 any tips for a first time week long trip

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
I can't give you much help on the route, but I've always "wild" camped on long tours in Japan. Just find as large park, beach or stretch of grass near a river, wait till it gets dark, then pitch your tent. If you're away early in the morning nobody will be bothered. Most parks have toilets and you can get a wash at the nearest onsen if you plan your days well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

As I wrote somewhere this is my favourite course.
I really doubt about the camping since Izu is made of jungle and cliffs, but probably on the coast it is more than possible...
The recommendation is to go along the west coast of the peninsula - it will be little longer, but since you have a lot of time it is more than possible.
The recommended route:
1st. day: Shibuya->Yokohama->Yamato->Hiratsuka->Odawara->passing Hakone and landing in Mishima, which is satellite (?) of Numazu, so you may stay whether in Hakone or in these cities.
2nd. day: from Numazu/Mishima to the south, along the coast of the Izu peninsula, without going into the mountains. It is quite hilly, but going till Nishi Izu or even Matsuzaki (awesome town) is more than possible.
3rd day: Continue along the coast, look around Irozaki - the southernmost point of Izu peninsula, it is nice there, and you are in Shimoda in afternoon.

So, this is 2-3 days trip, not 5. :) Izu peninsula is very empty, so probably no one but monkeys will care if you make a tent somewhere.
Tips for the first time trip - do not take too much stuff with you, only the very necessary. Probably that's all. Ah, and dress more or less lightly, it is never cold there. On the top of mountains it will be very cool, but you will eventually go down, where it is hot.

I agree with Kumachan that the west coast of Izu is where it's at. I used to live in Matsuzaki and kick my self several times a day for moving away from there. If you want to stick to the coast from Numazu take 17 to Toi and then 136 all the way down to the bottom of the peninsula and around to Shimoda. There can be a bit of traffic on that route, but not nearly as bad as the east side of Izu. If you don't mind one day of brutal climbing, though, I would recommend climbing up Nishina Pass. You still get the views of Suruga Bay, just from 900 meters above. If you don't like traffic I highly recommend going this route.
As for camping, I've camped on the beach in Matsuzaki, Nishina and Shimoda without a problem. Just leave early in the morning and chances are no one will bother you.

I did an almost identical ride last summer coming from Chiba. My route is below. To get to Shimoda from Matsuzaki either take 136 around the tip of the peninsula or take 121 to 119. 136 has better views. 121 has less traffic. 15 is ok if you're in a hurry.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I may have talked a friend to going to oshima for 2 days from atami. So should work out perfect.
Thanks so much for camping advice. As for monkeys how aggressive are they, will they come search for food/ is sleeping in a hammock a bad idea? I used to camp back home and the raccoons would get into everything everytime!
Also this ride with me gps. Is there a way I can save these routes to account if I make one? And is there a good ap for iOS so I can check where I am?
And as far as tunnels? Any tips/ are they real dangerous?

Also how is that stretch between kamakura to atami? Looks nice and straight and along the water.

Monkeys shouldn't be a problem unless you're sleeping well off the beaten path. Just stick to the beaches and parks and you will be fine.
The coastal route from Kamakura is pretty traffic heavy but I don't think there's really a better way to do it without going way out of your way. It's probably most pleasant very early in the morning.
I'm pretty sure there is a way to save other peoples maps but I don't know how. I don't actually even use GPS. I just use the maps to get a general idea of what route I'm going to take before I head out the door. I usually look at Google street view and memorize what to do on tricky parts. That method has served me well. If you want GPS navigation something like a Garmin is probably much better than your phone. However that is a world that I am and shall remain entirely ignorant of.

About tunnels... They're not fun. One of the reasons I suggest going the mountainous route is that there are less. I think my route I posted above doesn't have any. Roads going up the east and west coast have lots.

Use streetview on Google to see exactly what the coastal roads look like, and the tunnels.

What's stopping you checking your route on Google Maps with your iOS device?

I'm good using google maps. But am new to the ride with gps and everyone seems to be posting with that so didn't know if there was benefits of that site.

Back
Top Bottom